logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
risingeagle  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 10:19:19 AM(UTC)
risingeagle

Groups: Registered

greets all-

hoping I'm missing a simple setting someplace.

We're attempting to transition from OBS to vMix for streaming our weekly church morning service. Our current hardware is an Intel NUC (one of the new ones) running Win10Pro. Pretty nice little mini-box. It has about 6 USB-3, 2-HDMI out, etc.
Video is provided by a Canon G40 camera, pushed HDMI to a Magewell USB Capture Plus.
Audio is a small Xenyx Q802USB mixer board.

To date, we've been running OSB, which I'm not overly impressed with but it works. We've actually been running it on a mac mini; transitioning to a windows-based system so I can leverage vMix and work with some better features.

Moving to the windows system was seamless - for OSB.
Everything works fine in OSB - video comes in through the Magewell, audio comes through the mixer - everything works.

When I fire up vMix, I can get the audio no problem - comes up as a (Codec-2) something or other - but it's there, and works as expected.

I can ALSO see a USB-HDMI selection for the Magewell. I've confirmed it's the Magewell by unplugging it - the selection goes away.

However when I select it as a source - I don't get a video feed. If I check everything it's still there (I can fire up OBS and see the video, or check the magewell utility) - so I'm positive the video source is getting to the machine. I can close vMix, open OBS and the video shows up no problem.

I've checked / confirmed just about every setting I am comfortable changing. I've reset to default (everything), I've even reinstalled. I've also run vMix as admin in case it was some form of conflict there.

I've also updated the firmware on the Magewell USB capture device.

what am I missing? am I just stuck with using OBS? any help would really be appreciated

thanks
-armond

spencerm24  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 11:15:58 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Sounds to me like a format mismatch. I've seen videos not show up properly or at all if the format isn't what you select when you set up the input.
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 1:41:12 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
risingeagle wrote:
what am I missing? am I just stuck with using OBS? any help would really be appreciated

It's really hard to know what's wrong. Lots of people use Magewell USB capture devices with vMix, and I've used pretty much every type of USB capture version they've produced, so I can assure you that they can work, usually without issue. Perhaps you can post some screen grabs of what you see in the settings when adding the device as an input?

It's worth mentioning that if you've opened another application that's accessing a Magewell USB device, then you can't open a second one and access the video, even though you can select the device as a video input. When you open vMix, is it the first/only application accessing the video from the Magewell device? It sounds like it is, but I'm just checking.
rpvh  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 2:53:04 PM(UTC)
rpvh

I am having the exact same problem. I am using a Magewell USB Capture Plus HDMI from a Sony FDR-AX53. I can see the output from the capture device in Skype as a webcam so I know it is working to get the video from the camera to the computer. I have tried various settings in Vmix, including making sure the output from the camera is 1080p 59.97 and that the Vmix is producing the same output. I had the capture device working fine last year and don't remember any similar problems. I am wondering if updating to the lastest version of Vmix, which I just updated to, is causing the problem. Can I roll back to an earlier version of Vmix?
rpvh  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 3:32:40 PM(UTC)
rpvh

Just an update on my post above. I rolled back to 20.0.0.27 x 64 and I still am not seeing the camera. Any other thoughts about what the problem might be?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 8:56:45 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
What build of Windows 10 is being used? Or is the OS Windows 7?

As Zen stated, the Magewell are very reliable.
rpvh  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:09:36 AM(UTC)
rpvh

I am running 64 bit Windows 10. It was last updated to Version 1083 on 7/4/2018, and no new updates are available. My past experience had been that the Magewell was reliable, but I had not used it in a year. In fact, it sort of seemed like magic how reliable it was. It is still piping video into Skype as I mentioned earlier. Thanks for any thoughts.

SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:32:33 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

With your computer powered down, have you tried connecting the Magewell to the PC, then to the camera, then starting the PC?

rpvh wrote:
I am running 64 bit Windows 10. It was last updated to Version 1083 on 7/4/2018, and no new updates are available. My past experience had been that the Magewell was reliable, but I had not used it in a year. In fact, it sort of seemed like magic how reliable it was.

One thing that has changed since the last time you used your Magewell is updating to Win 10 Version 1083. When I did that in May, I had major problems running vMix, mainly CPU usage and camera inputs not working properly. There were others on the Forum that had problems with 1083, and of course there are many users who didn't and still don't.

I could be an individual system by system thing. I solved mine by rolling back to Win 10 Version 1709. All my vMix issues went away. Perhaps you can try that to see if the Magewell works.

zenvideo  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:28:01 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I just tested it this morning, on my main vMix PC, Windows 10 v1803, in case something had changed but had no difficulties, as per the attached screen grabs. Video input is a spare output from the graphics card, so just a Windows desktop.
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
USBCapPlus1.GIF (50kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
USBCapPlus2.GIF (214kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rpvh  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:51:57 AM(UTC)
rpvh

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, my Magewell does not work with exactly those settings. I also can't easily roll back Windows because the new build was installed more than 10 days ago. With no inputs and noting happening vMix CPU vMix is about 36% and Total bounces between 40 and 60. Does it sound like I need to do a reinstall or figure out some other way to roll back to the older version of Windows.
rpvh  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:00:09 PM(UTC)
rpvh

I just downloaded vMix to my wife's computer and the camera works there without a problem. Her computer is a 15 inch Microsoft Surface Book 2 with a Core i7-8650U, an NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6GB), 16gb of ram and 1tb SSD. On that computer with the camera running through the Magewell into vMix the Cpu vMix is 3 or 4%. My computer is an ASUS ROG G751-JL with Intel an Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor, an NVIDIA GTX965M 2GB GDDR5, 16gb of ram and a 1tb SSD. So, not quite as powerful, but ran vMix great in the past. On it the video from the Magewell does not appear, and even when vMix is doing nothing it the Cpu vMix is around 35%. From what I have read on this forum it sounds like I may have a problem with Windows 10 v1083. Unfortunately, this is hard to check because rolling back to an earlier version of Windows is no longer easy since the new version installed more than 10 days ago. Any suggestions?
admin  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 8:46:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Check the GeForce or Intel drivers are installed and up to date.
High CPU could indicate Windows has reverted to the Basic software renderer driver which doesnt render video properly in a lot of apps
and runs extremely slowly.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
rpvh on 7/12/2018(UTC)
rpvh  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:54:28 AM(UTC)
rpvh

Thanks for the suggestion. There were updates available for both the chipset and the video, but unfortunately they did not change the vMix CPU usage or make the Magewell work. I also updated the firmware in the Magewell and that did not make a difference. I appreciate the suggestions and would also appreciate any more advice or things to try.
admin  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:54:34 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
At this point it would be best to drop us an email at info@vmix.com.au after going to Settings -> About and clicking Send Support Report.
rpvh  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:39:34 PM(UTC)
rpvh

I found another update for the video card and it fixed the problem. The latest update on the ASUS website was what I installed first. It was sort of old and did not fix the problem. Today I went directly to Nvidia and they had a more recent update. Installing that dramatically reduced the CPU usage and allowed the video from the camera to appear. Thanks for the help with this all around.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:40:49 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Good to see you solved the issue and have the Magewell working.