logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bamboo  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:21:00 PM(UTC)
Bamboo

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

I have been setting up a small home video/audio studio for doing some work projects. It's far from pro-level, and I am not a pro myself, so this may be easier than I think (hopefully)

To keep things fun for the kids in my home studio I have been trying to set up a DIY Karaoke setup using YouTube for on demand audio and lyrics.

The goal is to have the youtube audio play from the PC with my BehringerU-Phoria UMC404HD and have the unaltered audio stream from YouTube be split so that i can mix it with vocals on Line 1 + 2 from microphones in the studio for main output into my video while at the same time having a pre-mix original channel of audio from YouTube available on another channel for either monitors or headphones in the studio.

I found this link that seems to solve a part of my challenge to get PC audio in as part of the mix.

https://www.vmix.com/kno...the-system-audio-in-vmix

Any ideas on if and how this can be done?

Thanks,
Paul

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:03:45 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Check out the the Audio section in the manual

https://www.vmix.com/help21/Audio3.html

I guess Audio Buses are what you're looking for

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Bamboo on 7/29/2018(UTC)
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:39:33 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
There's all sorts of ways you can do this.

If it were me, I'd mix all the audio sources using an external audio mixer, one which could generate a different foldback mix for the performers (via aux outputs) as well as the main mix which would be fed to vMix for recording/streaming.

However, you can do it with vMix and a multi-input audio I/O interface like the Behringer. The key to it all is having two independent audio output devices, one for the clean feed of the YouTube audio, and one for monitoring the final mix. On a single computer you can use the PC's built-in audio device (which I'll refer to as the "soundcard") and the Behringer as a second output.

Let's start with the YouTube playback. By default the PC is probably going to play "Windows audio" through the soundcard, so let's notionally assign the soundcard to the YouTube audio playback. You can take a feed from the soundcard output to feed the performer's headphones or a foldback speaker. The implication of this is that you must not use the soundcard for any of the output groups in vMix. Go to the vMix Settings -> Audio Outputs control panel and set all the outputs to None, apart from Master Output which can be sent to the Behringer (for you to monitor the overall mix).

On the input side of things you will have the mics coming into vMix via the Behringer, and that just leaves the YouTube audio. If you have a Realtek soundcard then you can enable the Stereo Mix device, as per the vMix help article that you linked to initially, but if not you could use an external splitter cable from the soundcard output to give you a spare analogue feed, to go into a couple of the line inputs on the Behringer, or to the Line In on the soundcard (if it's not being used by anything else). It's also possible to use "virtual audio cables" to effectively link outputs to inputs, but if you don't want to go down that route it's easier to see where things are going by using a cable :)

And that's just about it. You can then mix the various sound sources in vMix, hear what you're doing via the Behringer output, and have the performers hear the YouTube backing track via the soundcard output.

As I said, there's all sorts of ways to do this. You could swap the functions of the soundcard and Behringer outputs if you wanted, making the Behringer the default playback device for Windows Audio. If you had a second PC you could have vMix on one and YouTube playing on the other - keeping them entirely separate - and use NDI to connect them (via the vMix screen capture or the NewTek Scan Converter apps). Then you would have a clean feed of the YouTube audio from the 2nd PC, without any possible interaction with the audio output devices being used by vMix on the first PC. Have fun:)
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
Bamboo on 7/29/2018(UTC)