logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iamralphsutton  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:00:50 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So direct from the manual. and btw - the entire triggers section is like 2 paragraphs in the manual - so please don't tell me to read the manual.

Triggers and MultiView Overlays
Triggers will only be activated on the primary input. For example if Input A is setup with Input B and C as MultiView Overlays, only the Input A trigger will be used.

First off - all inputs are numbered but here they use letters which is a bit confusing. But that being said - please let me know if I am right

1 - If I set up a new input - - make that input a multi view input. the triggers ONLY on the primary input are the ones that will trigger. so if I bring in something on any of the multiview layers - those will not trigger. but the primary input's triggers will fire correct? as multiview has 10 layers - but those are different than the actual INPUT itself. only the triggers on the INPUT itself will fire. Is this the right theory?

admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:32:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Triggers are quite simple in concept, hence the small amount of information in the manual, but all the functionality is covered on that page believe it or not.

Two key steps form a trigger:

1. An event takes place for that input specifically.
(that input is transitioned in or out, or turned on or off in the 1-4 main overlays, or it is a video that has completed, or a countdown that has reached zero)

2. Any functions in the list that match the event are run one by one, top to bottom, with an optional delay between each item.

The only limitations are that the trigger will only occur if that input is used directly and not as part of a multiview of another input,
and that any tasks that could cause a loop, (such as transitioning from within a trigger) will not work, to prevent loops.

Example: This will run triggers: Transition Camera Input 1 to Output that has some triggers.
Example 2: This will not: Transition Virtual Set 2 to Output, that has the camera input 1 assigned as a layer/multiview, but has no triggers of its own.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
iamralphsutton  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 11:54:50 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

But also -

I was told you can't have a video trigger a camera at the end of the video.

You cannot have a trigger turn off audio mix then turn it back on -

there seems to be some limitations that aren't fully documented - (or i wouldn't be banging my head against the wall this whole week).

I have figured out crazy elaborate ways around things - that shouldn't have to be... but again - it could be that I am just not grasping the concepts.
admin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:17:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I think there may have been some confusion there, as there are no undocumented limitations of triggers that we are aware of.

You can transition to a camera (or any input) at the end of a video, simply setup an OnCompletion trigger
on the video and set it to Fade/Cut/etc to the camera of choice.
This is one of the examples in the Triggers tutorial video:

You can also turn off/on audio if you like, though do remember that vMix
also has automatic on/off/play/pause options you might need to turn off to prevent overriding behaviour.
This is found in the General tab in input settings and is also described in the documentation:

https://www.vmix.com/hel...nputSettingsGeneral.html

Regards,

Martin
vMix
iamralphsutton  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:39:43 PM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

odd - as I was told specifically via an email that you couldn't.

But I will look back into this.
iamralphsutton  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:43:55 PM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

for instance -- I wanted a video to play... have a trigger turn auto audio mix off.

then transition to a camera about 30 seconds into the video - - - so that the audio of the video would still be playing.

I was told this wasn't possible.

That the only way is via a countdown - that would have to be created separately

that timer would then have to be triggered on the video when it started.
the timer would then need a separate trigger that would switch to the camera at a certain time.

is this not correct?
admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:45:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

The advice was that a transition function cannot be set on OnTransitionIn or OnTransitionOut as already noted in the documentation as this would potentially cause a loop.
You can set it on the OnCompletion trigger however that occurs when a video ends.
admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:48:27 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

That perhaps is the complicated way of doing things.

Instead, simply turn off audio auto mixing on the video input, and turn on the audio permanently, since you won't hear the audio
unless it is playing anyway. Might want to turn off auto pause so it doesn't pause when transitioning away.

Then no triggers should be needed, once the video starts playing the audio will remain until the video finishes, regardless of how much switching
is done in the middle.

I am not sure it is wise for most customers to delve into triggers, until they have become familiar with the other basics, such as how the audio mixer
works and how video playback is controlled by the General settings.

If you do want to automate at exactly the 30 second mark, have a look at the PlayList feature if you want
to build a rundown segment:

https://www.vmix.com/help21/Playlist.html

Or just setup a shortcut and press a button to do it when the time comes, gives more flexibility to jump back and forth between
the camera and video clip anyway.
iamralphsutton  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:59:31 PM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

I realize that works

The issue is - I am trying to make this idiot proof for interns and new engineers.

I am trying to make every show have the same basic format

F1 fires intro that leads into camera of host - that then brings up the lower 3rd. that also triggers start of recording, start of show clock for on air studio
F12 fires host cam, then outro video, then stops recording, stops timer.

1 CAM 1
2 CAM 2

etc.

I am trying to make it simple for anyone to step in an run the board for any of the shows -to at least get the basics easy enough.
doggy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 1:41:22 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Quote:
I am trying to make it simple for anyone to step in an run the board for any of the shows -to at least get the basics easy enough.

What is more basic and simple than like Martin said " just setup a shortcut and press a button to do it when the time comes".
@ press button x then @ button Y and so on , following a "checklist"

The danger of making it "idiot proof for interns and new engineers." one can easely be the oneself being the *** by being stuck in the automation with no alternative to get out of.

I fully understand trying to automate things as we do it all the time due to lack of hands but ALWAYS it is based on individual elements that also can be controlled out of the automation cause there will always be a situation where one has to act out of the box manually especialy in fast pased situations.

Midi control boards or as we lately used a Stream Deck (with fancy easy understandable icons) helped tremendously even quickly adding/changing unforseen functions on the fly. Had to deal with 12 unfamiliar operators (12 productions simultaniously) each having to do the same procedures on their own and telling them to press a key or button at a certain time over and over was not an issue at all (pics say a thousand words :-) )

People are clever enough to understand KISS procedures. IMO the more one relies on an automation the less one pays attention too and for sure things go wrong then.

thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
MartinJudkins on 7/9/2018(UTC)
iamralphsutton  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 2:56:06 PM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

I can understand that -- and you're right -

There's also a part of me that just trying to figure out why I am not getting the behaviors that I think I should get.

For instance..

I have a timer - -- I added this trigger

On timer completion fade volume of the audio file that is playing to 0 over 2000 milliseconds

But instead nothing happens. And I have no idea why.

I am just wanted to understand better --

The main reason -

If I am having these questions - - I know they all will have the same questions.