logo

Live Production Software Forums


Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomTee  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:27:48 PM(UTC)
TomTee

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Germany

Hi all!

I´m very new to vMix and try to find out if I can use it to play videos on LED-Walls.
In this special case I need your help, cause I can´t find out the right settings.

Input resolution of my LED-Controller is 1024 x 768px corresponding with the second output from my Laptop.
The LED-Wall has got a size of 896 x 256 px.

The size of the videos is 896 x 256px, native size of the LED-Wall.

When I play the videos with vMix the output is scaled up to the width of the output-setting (1024px) and is placed vertical in the center.

But I need the videos in their native size, starting at 0/0 in the upper left corner.
So I don´t need to set an offset in the LED-Controller.

I tried it with the Zoom and Pan in the settings but then each new video (or any other input) has to be adjusted again.
And the quality of the video is more bad after scaling......

Any help is appriciated, thanks in advance!
desmar  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:49:22 PM(UTC)
desmar

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/21/2015(UTC)
Posts: 236
Man
Canada
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 42 post(s)
vMix has fix output sizes, no custom sizes...

But nVidia drivers allow custom sizes for screen, try and change 2nd screen to that resolution and try and output full screen to your second screen and see if that works.

TomTee wrote:
Hi all!

I´m very new to vMix and try to find out if I can use it to play videos on LED-Walls.
In this special case I need your help, cause I can´t find out the right settings.

Input resolution of my LED-Controller is 1024 x 768px corresponding with the second output from my Laptop.
The LED-Wall has got a size of 896 x 256 px.

The size of the videos is 896 x 256px, native size of the LED-Wall.

When I play the videos with vMix the output is scaled up to the width of the output-setting (1024px) and is placed vertical in the center.

But I need the videos in their native size, starting at 0/0 in the upper left corner.
So I don´t need to set an offset in the LED-Controller.

I tried it with the Zoom and Pan in the settings but then each new video (or any other input) has to be adjusted again.
And the quality of the video is more bad after scaling......

Any help is appriciated, thanks in advance!

TomTee  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 3:19:24 AM(UTC)
TomTee

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Germany

Hi desmar,

thanks for your answer.

Problem is not the fixed size of the output screen, even my LED-Controller is using standard resolutions for the input signal.

But vMix scales videos with none-standard resolutions to the maximum width of the second screen.
I don´t want any scaling just playing videos in their native size.
quinte  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:07:58 AM(UTC)
quinte

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 17
Location: Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TomTee wrote:
Hi all!

I´m very new to vMix and try to find out if I can use it to play videos on LED-Walls.
In this special case I need your help, cause I can´t find out the right settings.

Input resolution of my LED-Controller is 1024 x 768px corresponding with the second output from my Laptop.
The LED-Wall has got a size of 896 x 256 px.

The size of the videos is 896 x 256px, native size of the LED-Wall.

When I play the videos with vMix the output is scaled up to the width of the output-setting (1024px) and is placed vertical in the center.

But I need the videos in their native size, starting at 0/0 in the upper left corner.
So I don´t need to set an offset in the LED-Controller.

I tried it with the Zoom and Pan in the settings but then each new video (or any other input) has to be adjusted again.
And the quality of the video is more bad after scaling......

Any help is appriciated, thanks in advance!


Usually for that reason a video scaler is used.

In vMix you have also the option if you use the "Fullscreen" output you can also set the position and the size of the content in your output.
You will find the setting here: Setting --> Display
Output size 1024 x 768
Fullscreen --> Position 0 0 896 256 (Top, Left, witdh, height)

This setting will scale the video output in the format the LED controller needs.

Alex
TomTee  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:27:37 AM(UTC)
TomTee

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Germany

Hi quinte,

thanks for your help, I will check this out in the evening, when I have access to the LED-Wall.

What I don´t understand, why using a scaler?

Input of Controller is 1024 x 768, output of my Laptop is 1024 x 768, so everything is fine.
Just the scaling of the video (done by vMix) should be avoided.

To compare it with VLC-Player, there you find a checkbox in Preferences-All-Video : Video Auto Scaling
If this checkbox is checked, VLC scales a video up to the width of the output-resolution,
if you do uncheck this box, the video will be shown in its native size.
quinte  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:22:41 AM(UTC)
quinte

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 17
Location: Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The LED wall video scaler transform a full screen output to a partly screen output exactly what the LED controller needs.

The VSP 198 series from RGBLink or the LVP series from VDWall are examples of typical LED video wall scalers.

Alex
ask  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:42:00 AM(UTC)
ask

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/13/2012(UTC)
Posts: 743
Location: Melbourne

Thanks: 115 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 121 post(s)
TomTee wrote:
Hi quinte,

thanks for your help, I will check this out in the evening, when I have access to the LED-Wall.

What I don´t understand, why using a scaler?

Input of Controller is 1024 x 768, output of my Laptop is 1024 x 768, so everything is fine.
Just the scaling of the video (done by vMix) should be avoided.

To compare it with VLC-Player, there you find a checkbox in Preferences-All-Video : Video Auto Scaling
If this checkbox is checked, VLC scales a video up to the width of the output-resolution,
if you do uncheck this box, the video will be shown in its native size.


In the vMix Settings, select 1024x768 as the output size.

When adding a video input, select Aspect ratio as Source
TomTee  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:40:57 PM(UTC)
TomTee

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Germany

Now I tried both versions.

@ quinte: nearly fine, video nearby top-left, but with a distance around 10-20px away from 0/0 (top/left).
@ ask: no change with your settings.
quinte  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:46:34 PM(UTC)
quinte

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 17
Location: Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ask wrote:
TomTee wrote:
Hi quinte,

thanks for your help, I will check this out in the evening, when I have access to the LED-Wall.

What I don´t understand, why using a scaler?

Input of Controller is 1024 x 768, output of my Laptop is 1024 x 768, so everything is fine.
Just the scaling of the video (done by vMix) should be avoided.

To compare it with VLC-Player, there you find a checkbox in Preferences-All-Video : Video Auto Scaling
If this checkbox is checked, VLC scales a video up to the width of the output-resolution,
if you do uncheck this box, the video will be shown in its native size.


In the vMix Settings, select 1024x768 as the output size.

When adding a video input, select Aspect ratio as Source


I use "Widescreen" as Aspect Ratio.
It's important the video input fill the complete output area.
Usually the video input will show stretch in vMix dependence of the aspect ratio of the led video wall.

Alex
quinte  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:50:25 PM(UTC)
quinte

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 17
Location: Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TomTee wrote:
Now I tried both versions.

@ quinte: nearly fine, video nearby top-left, but with a distance around 10-20px away from 0/0 (top/left).


It's dependence on which position the led controller expected the content.
You can configure the led controller or if you know the position you can also set it in vMix.

Alex
TomTee  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 3:48:52 AM(UTC)
TomTee

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/13/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
Location: Germany

Hm, sorry I forgot to mention that the content is still scaled.

Well, everything I want is to play a video in native resolution without scaling....

There seemed to be no sulution.

Thank you all for your help!
JoseL  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 8:31:07 AM(UTC)
JoseL

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/15/2018(UTC)
Posts: 26
Man
Location: Spain

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
TomTee wrote:
Hm, sorry I forgot to mention that the content is still scaled.

Well, everything I want is to play a video in native resolution without scaling....

There seemed to be no sulution.

Thank you all for your help!


Why not?, i do.

You only need to send same resolution of vmix project to led. In my case 2560x1440. You can send 1280x720 or something similar. On vmix you need to scale to be inside your led size.

Is true that output scale processing of vmix, when resolution is not same as project , is really bad.

Regards

Jose.
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.