logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mkrigsman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:18:59 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Groups: Registered

I have a Magewell ProCapture card with one HDMI input. I use an external mic and therefore do not use audio input from the HDMI camera.

When using adding a camera with the default camera driver (Pro Capture HDMI 00-0), the audio inputs from the computer are not listed properly and I cannot attach audio to the camera. See screen shot.

When using the legacy camera input Video (Pro Capture), everything works properly.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

mkrigsman attached the following image(s):
2017-06-12_23-14-36.png (75kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:22:03 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Quote:
I use an external mic and therefore do not use audio input from the HDMI camera

If you are not using the audio input from the camera, go to Add Input, then choose Audio Input. Use the drop down to find your external microphone and add it (assuming it's a USB mic or connected to a USB sound device)

Looking at your other post, your setup should consist of two (2) inputs

1 - Magewell ProCapture (Camera)

2 - USB microphone (Audio Input)
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:54:41 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
mkrigsman wrote:
When using the legacy camera input Video (Pro Capture), everything works properly.

I guess it partly depends on how you define "properly". In this instance it's a case of "everything works in the way that I want it to work".

In Legacy mode the available video/audio options are (all of) those available via the generic Windows device interface, whereas the new default for handling Magewell cards as video/audio inputs is to use the more optimised Magewell SDK directly, which is why you have access to 8 channels of embedded audio when the "legacy" Windows drivers would only have offered 2 channel audio.

So it's not really a bug, just a different way of working which in most cases offers better performance (eg lower latency), but the Legacy option is still available if needed.
mkrigsman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:19:31 AM(UTC)
mkrigsman

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Quote:
I use an external mic and therefore do not use audio input from the HDMI camera

If you are not using the audio input from the camera, go to Add Input, then choose Audio Input. Use the drop down to find your external microphone and add it (assuming it's a USB mic or connected to a USB sound device)

Looking at your other post, your setup should consist of two (2) inputs

1 - Magewell ProCapture (Camera)

2 - USB microphone (Audio Input)

Yes, but I am not seeing the USB mic in the dropdown. Only the list I included in my original post. Any ideas?
mkrigsman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:20:33 AM(UTC)
mkrigsman

zenvideo wrote:
mkrigsman wrote:

I guess it partly depends on how you define "properly". In this instance it's a case of "everything works in the way that I want it to work".

In Legacy mode the available video/audio options are (all of) those available via the generic Windows device interface, whereas the new default for handling Magewell cards as video/audio inputs is to use the more optimised Magewell SDK directly, which is why you have access to 8 channels of embedded audio when the "legacy" Windows drivers would only have offered 2 channel audio.

So it's not really a bug, just a different way of working which in most cases offers better performance (eg lower latency), but the Legacy option is still available if needed.

That makes sense, but how do I get access to my USB mic in the dropdown for the camera audio input? It is not showing up. As far as I can tell, when using the newer method, the audio input for the camera does not recognize any audio devices on my computer aside from those embedded channels shown in the dropdown in the screen capture.

When I use the legacy mode, I can see my other audio inputs and link them correctly to the camera. This does not work with the new method.

Is it possible the new method simply does not work on my computer? I should also mention I am using the most recent (June 2) driver and firmware from the Magewell site. My motherboard is an Asus Rampage V Extreme with latest firmware. All other drivers are up to date. I have tried several USB audio input devices and all show the same behavior.

stevespaw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:19:53 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
mkrigsman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:33:15 AM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Per my earlier messages -- this does not work when using the latest Magewell method.
stevespaw  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:10:23 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Are you adding an AUDIO input and the USB device is not there?

your screen shot showed the CAMERA input.
mkrigsman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 3:22:46 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

stevespaw wrote:
Are you adding an AUDIO input and the USB device is not there?

your screen shot showed the CAMERA input.

I can add audio inputs without a problem. However, I cannot associate the audio inputs with a camera.

My goal is to record ISO files where each camera + audio record to a separate file - without linking audio to a camera, I cannot do that.

I suppose the fallback position is to use the old Magewell method rather than the new one and suffer the performance penalty. However, the need to do this indicates a problem in the vMix interface to Magewell.
admin  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:58:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

The Audio dropdown under the old method was designed only to select the matching magewell audio source.
(I.E the corresponding embedded HDMI audio device in this case).

As these are both combined under the new Magewell SDK method, this dropdown is no longer needed.

If you were using this dropdown to select a USB microphone or other audio source not physically coming from the magewell card
then this would have been prone to issues, as it was not designed for this.

Instead the Add Input -> Audio Input should be used for these types of audio sources.

The downside is you can't use these with MultiCorder, but using unrelated audio and video is not supported with MultiCorder
anyway and will cause some a/v sync issues in the recordings if the mic and camera happen to be running on different clocks.

Sorry for the confusion and I hope this helps explain what is happening.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
mkrigsman  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:22:12 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

admin wrote:
Hi,

The Audio dropdown under the old method was designed only to select the matching magewell audio source.

As these are both combined under the new Magewell SDK method, this dropdown is no longer needed.

If you were using this dropdown to select a USB microphone or other audio source not physically coming from the magewell card

Instead the Add Input -> Audio Input should be used for these types of audio sources.

The downside is you can't use these with MultiCorder, but using unrelated audio and video is not supported with MultiCorder
anyway and will cause some a/v sync issues in the recordings if the mic and camera happen to be running on different clocks.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Martin,

Thank you for helping make this clear. I realize Multicorder cannot record unrelated audio/video streams. However, if I can associate an audio input to the unrelated camera then I could use NDI to pass that combined audio/video stream to another program for recording. My ultimate plan to is to use this approach for recording ISO videos coming from vMix Call. Do you think this approach will work?

When I use the old Magewell method, the audio and video seem to behave as I want, although I have not test for sync issues.

I should mention I currently combine unrelated audio/video when using another program and it works fine. My equipment is fast so the latency between external USB audio and video from the Magewell card is hardly noticeable. My interest in vMix is specifically the vMix Call functionality - that's why I am so interested in solving this.

Thanks again!

mkrigsman  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 9:54:03 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

Bottom line:

The legacy mode works properly and as expected with my external USB audio source; The new method of interfacing with Magewell simply does not work in this scenario.

Please do not remove the legacy mode from vMix.
mkrigsman  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 9:41:17 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

admin wrote:
Hi,

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Martin,

I am still unable to link USB to a camera input.

Per your instructions, I am using the new Magewell method, not legacy. I also added Add Input -> Audio Input.

So, now I have a Pro Capture HDMI input and an Audio Analog input. How do I link the audio to the camera? I have tried everything but cannot figure it out. I am seriously considering a purchase of vMix Pro specifically to use vMix Call with multiple users. However, if I cannot figure this out it is showstopper for me.

Please, I would be grateful for any further advice.

admin  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:08:39 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
If you want to link them for automatic audio mixing, simply add the audio input
as a MultiView overlay under Input Settings for the camera. (And untick it so it is not visible).

If you want to link it for MultiCorder, then this is not possible as they are not synced together.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
mkrigsman  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:17:42 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

admin wrote:
If you want to link them for automatic audio mixing, simply add the audio input
as a MultiView overlay under Input Settings for the camera. (And untick it so it is not visible).

If you want to link it for MultiCorder, then this is not possible as they are not synced together.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Yes I thought about using Multiview, but I want to then export the feeds through NDI. Can the multiview composite (cam+audio) export over NDI? If not, is there any other way to assign an arbitrary USB audio input to a camera input?
zenvideo  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 5:09:39 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

mkrigsman wrote:
Yes I thought about using Multiview, but I want to then export the feeds through NDI. Can the multiview composite (cam+audio) export over NDI? If not, is there any other way to assign an arbitrary USB audio input to a camera input?
If there isn't a way to do it in software, have you considered using an external HDMI audio embedder, so that whatever audio you were currently bringing in via a USB audio device could be inserted into the HDMI signal from the camera?
mkrigsman  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:14:57 PM(UTC)
mkrigsman

zenvideo wrote:
mkrigsman wrote:
If there isn't a way to do it in software, have you considered using an external HDMI audio embedder, so that whatever audio you were currently bringing in via a USB audio device could be inserted into the HDMI signal from the camera?

Can you suggest a solid but reasonably priced HDMI audio embedder? Thank you!
zenvideo  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:50:39 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

mkrigsman wrote:
Can you suggest a solid but reasonably priced HDMI audio embedder? Thank you!

I don't own one personally, but this might be the sort of thing you need - Blustream HD11AU HDMI Audio Embedder / De-Embedder