logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anders  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:59:46 AM(UTC)
Anders

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of building a mobile vMix rig based on NDI where I will set up a dedicated LAN for my video sources.
Does anyone know if there are any wireless routers out there with built in PoE ports? This would allow me to run power to PTZ cameras and BirdDogs and also have the option to run Newtek Connect Sparks over wifi if cabling is not possible.

Anyone have any tips on units that can do all this? I'm thinking I can get away with four ethernet ports.

Thanks!
kane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:34:47 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Anders wrote:
Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of building a mobile vMix rig based on NDI where I will set up a dedicated LAN for my video sources.
Does anyone know if there are any wireless routers out there with built in PoE ports? This would allow me to run power to PTZ cameras and BirdDogs and also have the option to run Newtek Connect Sparks over wifi if cabling is not possible.

Anyone have any tips on units that can do all this? I'm thinking I can get away with four ethernet ports.

Thanks!

If you find one let me know. I've looked and not been able to locate anything that is a router with PoE (prefer PoE+) on it. It either is a switch with PoE or a wireless router, but not both at the same time.

This probably isn't unexpected, most 'home' users would never have a need for PoE.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
Anders  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:37:26 PM(UTC)
Anders

kane wrote:
Anders wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

If you find one let me know. I've looked and not been able to locate anything that is a router with PoE (prefer PoE+) on it. It either is a switch with PoE or a wireless router, but not both at the same time.

This probably isn't unexpected, most 'home' users would never have a need for PoE.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

If you haven't found one it probably doesn't exist. Which is a shame.
One workaround could be to use a poe+ injector like this: https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Media-Converters/Ethernet-Extenders/4-port-gigabit-midspan-poe-injector~POEINJ4G

But you still end up with two boxes, two power supplies and a bunch of extra cables. Would love to get away with one box...
MGeorge  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 1:44:41 AM(UTC)
MGeorge

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here you go: https://www.ubnt.com/products/

Ubiquiti offers commercial-level routers (POE and POE+) at consumer prices. Excellent gear. I just built out exactly what you suggest and it works great. The more you can power over POE the fewer plugstrips you need!

Here's what I built for a live stream event at a high school. It's a conference and they're renting the high school's auditorium. Two cameras down near the stage, one on each side with NewTek Connect Spark HDMI boxes. The third camera at the back of the auditorium with SDI output cabled up a stairwell to the control room to an AJA SDI to USB3 box.

In the control room I have a Ubiquiti AP Pro access point connected to a Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W which is connected to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter POE which runs over to a Ubiquiti ToughSwitch which connects to the school's network via a router.

Also connected to the UniFi Switch 8 is an Asus GL702VS ROG Gamer Laptop (Intel Quad Core i7-7700HQ, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 17.3" Full HD 120Hz 5ms screen). Haven't decided on an external drive to back up the video stream. The school's sound board connects to my Yamaha mixer also connected to the laptop via USB. The laptop is running vMix HD, of course.

Because I have created a separate and secure WiFi cloud, I'll reap the benefits of all the available bandwidth without competition.

The cameras are a Sony PXW-X70 Pro Camcorder, a Sony A7R III mirrorless, and a Sony RX10 IV bridge camera. Should be a pretty good shoot.

Hope that info helps.

MGeorge
thanks 1 user thanked MGeorge for this useful post.
rowby on 2/5/2018(UTC)
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2018 2:29:24 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
There was a time when Gigabit switches with POE were VERY expensive. I used standalone POE insertors to good effect. These come in 4, 8, 16 and 24 port models. These make it easy to add POE to an existing consumer Wi-Fi router.
Anders  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2018 8:33:00 PM(UTC)
Anders

MGeorge wrote:
Here you go: https://www.ubnt.com/products/

Ubiquiti offers commercial-level routers (POE and POE+) at consumer prices. Excellent gear. I just built out exactly what you suggest and it works great. The more you can power over POE the fewer plugstrips you need!

Here's what I built for a live stream event at a high school. It's a conference and they're renting the high school's auditorium. Two cameras down near the stage, one on each side with NewTek Connect Spark HDMI boxes. The third camera at the back of the auditorium with SDI output cabled up a stairwell to the control room to an AJA SDI to USB3 box.

In the control room I have a Ubiquiti AP Pro access point connected to a Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W which is connected to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter POE which runs over to a Ubiquiti ToughSwitch which connects to the school's network via a router.

Also connected to the UniFi Switch 8 is an Asus GL702VS ROG Gamer Laptop (Intel Quad Core i7-7700HQ, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 17.3" Full HD 120Hz 5ms screen). Haven't decided on an external drive to back up the video stream. The school's sound board connects to my Yamaha mixer also connected to the laptop via USB. The laptop is running vMix HD, of course.

Because I have created a separate and secure WiFi cloud, I'll reap the benefits of all the available bandwidth without competition.

The cameras are a Sony PXW-X70 Pro Camcorder, a Sony A7R III mirrorless, and a Sony RX10 IV bridge camera. Should be a pretty good shoot.

Hope that info helps.

MGeorge

Nice setup!
I've looked at he Ubiquiti stuff before, and can't see that they have any all-in-one wireless router with multiple PoE(+) ports. So it looks like I would have to use an access point with a PoE router like you do.
kane  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:12:04 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Anders wrote:
I've looked at he Ubiquiti stuff before, and can't see that they have any all-in-one wireless router with multiple PoE(+) ports. So it looks like I would have to use an access point with a PoE router like you do.

Be careful with those. The Ubiquiti Edge routers are listed with passive PoE, which is not compatible with active PoE standards (802.3af and 802.3at).

Kane Peterson
NewTek
Anders  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:03:05 AM(UTC)
Anders

kane wrote:
Anders wrote:

Be careful with those. The Ubiquiti Edge routers are listed with passive PoE, which is not compatible with active PoE standards (802.3af and 802.3at).

Kane Peterson
NewTek

They have a new ER-6P 6-port router coming out that might support af/at. Do you have any inside on this?
It is listed in this comparison chart, and it can supply 100w total on five ports.
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/

MGeorge  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 12:56:44 AM(UTC)
MGeorge

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I like to keep my routing and switching separate. Ubiquiti has switches that will give you what you need via POE. I also like the idea of keeping my access points separate. It means I can customize the combinations with more or less ports or power for specific situations. It does, however, mean maintenance on separate boxes.

Good luck on your project.

MGeorge
mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:16:37 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I heartily agree with separate of functions; Router, switch, AP. I like Ubiquiti in all those roles.

However, when you need a lot of POE and a big POE switch is too much $, I like mid-span POE inserters.

Originally, POE-capable Gigabit switches in particular were more $$$ than 10/100 models. At that time I used insertors a lot for surveillance cameras, IP phones and Wi-Fi AP installations.