logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
r5dad  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:53:18 PM(UTC)
r5dad

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just got my Stream Deck in and I LOVE it!

Wanted to drop in and tell anyone who is interested in the stream deck or was wondering about compatibility that it is and isn't compatible.

It isn't directly compatible. As in vMix will not see the stream deck as a midi interface for shortcuts, nor will it be detect any keypress when searching for a shortcut key.

Stream Deck also does not have any built in functionality to speak directly to vMix as it does with other software such as windows' Game Capture and the like.

There are two ways to get the Stream Deck to talk to vMix:

1. Using the Website button and make API calls. Once you learn the basics of API calls, making buttons to perform functions is quite simple. **Note that below the URL field is "Access in background" you will want this selected or your browser will appear after every button press.

2. Using system hotkeys. Setup your buttons in the Stream Deck with the shortcut key for the function, then setup shortcuts in vMix using keyboard presses.

Of the two, here's why I prefer the first method. I use the Stream Deck on a different system than the vMix system, which sits clear across the room. Rather than getup and go out of view of the camera, I can quickly make changes from my seat. I put it on a small laptop that performs no other function than the Stream Deck and my channel's bot and interactive control. Using stream deck I can control both my interactive and vMix with little effort and make it a one man production.

Thought I'd share. How has your experience been?

thanks 3 users thanked r5dad for this useful post.
seomaii on 3/4/2018(UTC), Ario on 8/28/2018(UTC), doa on 11/19/2018(UTC)
Samus4145  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:56:02 PM(UTC)
Samus4145

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
r5dad wrote:
Just got my Stream Deck in and I LOVE it!

Wanted to drop in and tell anyone who is interested in the stream deck or was wondering about compatibility that it is and isn't compatible.

It isn't directly compatible. As in vMix will not see the stream deck as a midi interface for shortcuts, nor will it be detect any keypress when searching for a shortcut key.

Stream Deck also does not have any built in functionality to speak directly to vMix as it does with other software such as windows' Game Capture and the like.

There are two ways to get the Stream Deck to talk to vMix:

1. Using the Website button and make API calls. Once you learn the basics of API calls, making buttons to perform functions is quite simple. **Note that below the URL field is "Access in background" you will want this selected or your browser will appear after every button press.

2. Using system hotkeys. Setup your buttons in the Stream Deck with the shortcut key for the function, then setup shortcuts in vMix using keyboard presses.

Of the two, here's why I prefer the first method. I use the Stream Deck on a different system than the vMix system, which sits clear across the room. Rather than getup and go out of view of the camera, I can quickly make changes from my seat. I put it on a small laptop that performs no other function than the Stream Deck and my channel's bot and interactive control. Using stream deck I can control both my interactive and vMix with little effort and make it a one man production.

Thought I'd share. How has your experience been?

Is it possible for you to elaborate on using the API calls? Would love to be able to use it to make changes in vMix over hotkeys, which require you to be in the program window.
r5dad  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:41:55 PM(UTC)
r5dad

https://www.vmix.com/help20/WebScripting.html

Shows how to properly configure a url to control VMix.

If your shortcut software can open a web url in the background, such as autohotkey, you can create properly formed URLs in a script and activate it from the hotkey.

This works on the vmix system, as well as any system on the same network as vMix.

To find out your full url parameters, just build a shortcut. The Function dropdown is what you put after the Function=

I recommend to make it easier on yourself, make sure none of your inputs have spaces in the names or you'll have to escape your spaces.

Hope this helps!

Jon
thanks 1 user thanked r5dad for this useful post.
Samus4145 on 5/15/2018(UTC)
Samus4145  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:45:20 AM(UTC)
Samus4145

r5dad wrote:
https://www.vmix.com/help20/WebScripting.html

Shows how to properly configure a url to control VMix.

If your shortcut software can open a web url in the background, such as autohotkey, you can create properly formed URLs in a script and activate it from the hotkey.

This works on the vmix system, as well as any system on the same network as vMix.

To find out your full url parameters, just build a shortcut. The Function dropdown is what you put after the Function=

I recommend to make it easier on yourself, make sure none of your inputs have spaces in the names or you'll have to escape your spaces.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Thank you!

This makes the Stream Deck infinitely better now that I don't need to keep vMix in focus.
NewsworthyVision  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 1:16:50 PM(UTC)
NewsworthyVision

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi team, I had a go at this the other night, and thanks to your help, and the API cheat sheet, I made this layout:

UserPostedImage

The layout on the deck looks like a basic, small standard switcher, and works with or without focus. Here are some of the buttons and their codes:

UserPostedImage
Mix Code

UserPostedImage
Preview input 1 code

UserPostedImage
Program input 1 code

UserPostedImage
Toggle recording code (Only recording one at this stage)

UserPostedImage
Cut from preview to program (Also discovered that localhost and 127.0.0.1 are interchangable)

Works nicely now. Just have to make sure your inputs line up as you like them first. Enjoy :)
thanks 1 user thanked NewsworthyVision for this useful post.
Ario on 7/24/2018(UTC)
r5dad  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 1:28:39 PM(UTC)
r5dad

That's pretty cool NewsworthyVision!

Since it doesn't look like you used a specific host IP and did it as localhost, you could save your preset and post it here. If you want. Then others could download it as a template and build theirs.

One of the functions I like to use is turning multiview overlays on/off or even changing them. When we switch games on our stream, I can quickly go into the configuration folder on vmix and select the game we are playing, it immediately updates each input's MV overlay to point to the appropriate game input. But we have a very complicated setup. I'll see if I can get a few screen shots of our setup. Post it possibly tomorrow (Saturday).

I love the API of vMix, literally anything you can do in a shortcut, you can do with Stream Deck!

Jon
NewsworthyVision  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 8:05:25 PM(UTC)
NewsworthyVision

United Kingdom

Huh, I didn't realise I could export presets. There you go!

Alright, here it is for you: https://www.dropbox.com/...h.streamDeckProfile?dl=0

Hope it inspires some of you to modify and create. :)
thanks 7 users thanked NewsworthyVision for this useful post.
r5dad on 6/9/2018(UTC), hellokitty on 6/9/2018(UTC), lael on 6/15/2018(UTC), Ario on 7/25/2018(UTC), corporatejames on 8/31/2018(UTC), kokopudja on 11/13/2018(UTC), doa on 11/19/2018(UTC)
chrisis  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2018 12:10:34 AM(UTC)
chrisis

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This is very cool and I'll be having a look at the profile you supplied to implement myself. Currently I use the streamdeck as a basic hotkey-presser. So I have scenes bound to a shortcut that is a single keyboard keypress, which I then add to streamdeck as a hotkey.

E.g.

UserPostedImage
(I broadcast esports exclusively hence the very specific scene types I have set up)

As standard practice I bind my shortcuts to put the relevant input/scene into Preview. In cases where the hotkey launches directly to Active I add a red border to my streamdeck item; and where the button plays a clip I add the little green play icon to it.

Of course the problem is that vMix has to be the active application so I'll be looking to switch to that nifty API-driven method from now on!
thanks 1 user thanked chrisis for this useful post.
Ario on 8/28/2018(UTC)
CMG_Richard  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:35:30 PM(UTC)
CMG_Richard

I just ordered the Stream Deck and can't wait to use it in my small studio. The script is amazing BTW, I just wish Vmix would implement it as a controller. They have other Elgato products!
NewsworthyVision  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:03:37 AM(UTC)
NewsworthyVision

United Kingdom

CMG_Richard: From watching todays livestream, it's due to Elgato having higher priorities with bigger software developers, mainly in gaming. vMix would rather be fully integrated, rather than as a separate device using webscripts to activate options. It works, but it's not vMix's ideal scenario.
GenInternaut  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:15:50 AM(UTC)
GenInternaut

Hey there,

I am trying to create several scenes that I can switch to during my stream, and for the most part they are working...but with odd behavior. Using vMix and Stream Deck. When I go to change an input (different scene during my stream) I have a wipe transition between scenes, but whichever input is set to the active input, it will flash for a half a second before the wipe transition occurs. This basically destroys the transition as I get a flash of this active input EVERY time I transition on my Stream Deck. I know this is likely a simple solution, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. My API is as such: http://127.0.0.1:8088/API/?Function=OverlayInput1&Input=6

Thanks,

GenInternaut
r5dad  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 8:38:00 PM(UTC)
r5dad

It's probably because you are doing overlayinput.

So I would recommend your scenes be different inputs entirely. And if you are using overlays that you want to persist across scenes, use the DSK's (the 1-4 below the input)

So we use streamlabs for follow alerts and tips, as well as our goals, channel logo, and all our interactive sounds/videos. So I have a transparent input labeled DSK-1 (for dsk1 :) ) and on that input I placed all my persistent overlays.

Then I use a merge transition between our scenes. You would use a wipe transition.

so if your main scene was called "main", and your cat-cam scene is "cat1", and your persistent overlays on an input "DSK-1" then the following would work.

dsk1 active with all your overlays
transition to CAT1- http://127.0.0.1:8088/API/?Function=Wipe&Input=cat1
transition to MAIN - http://127.0.0.1:8088/API/?Function=Wipe&Input=main

The input names are cap sensitive and I would refrain from spaces in naming them. I also wouldn't use the number reference as it could change.

And some more advice, label and use your tabs in vMix. one for scenes, one for overlays, etc. This will make it easier to find stuff once you have a few dozen inputs!!

Hope this helps
Jon
thanks 1 user thanked r5dad for this useful post.
Ario on 8/28/2018(UTC)
kokopudja  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:32:26 PM(UTC)
kokopudja

I hope vMix will natively support Streamdeck in the near future. Anyway, has any of you try Bitfocus companion app? It supposed to help Streamdeck integration with vMix and many other live switching or production software.

Code:
https://bitfocus.io/companion/
SHMD  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 9:54:42 PM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Have tested and played aound with companian, but vmix web api is more stable at the momment.
companion we get better with time as all the bugs get worked out.
doa  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 8:18:55 PM(UTC)
doa

Man
Netherlands

Originally Posted by: SHMD Go to Quoted Post
Have tested and played aound with companian, but vmix web api is more stable at the momment.
companion we get better with time as all the bugs get worked out.

I use this for 2 weeks now and it works perfect.
At the mmoment i use companion to switch my switchers (pds 902 and BM Atem) and my timers.
When programmed in companion i can call companion the companion functions from vMix by calling the reload of a browser input.
I use a midiboard to do it, which has the advantage that it still works if the program leaves his focus.

Still have to make some youtube examples in english.
thanks 1 user thanked doa for this useful post.
Ario on 4/6/2019(UTC)
infinity21  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:56:34 PM(UTC)
infinity21

I got my Black Friday Stream Deck yesterday, I think the web interface method should be fine considering it means it's easy to duplicate in a iPad or browser window, but would be cool if there was tighter integration
ebjorno  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:16:13 PM(UTC)
ebjorno

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nice. But how can I have several shortcuts assigned to the same button press? The URL only has one function. I am upgrading from keyboard shortcuts to using a Stream Deck, and I have 4-6 functions on the same shortcut in vMix.
ebjorno  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 10:00:52 PM(UTC)
ebjorno

Originally Posted by: ebjorno Go to Quoted Post
Nice. But how can I have several shortcuts assigned to the same button press? The URL only has one function. I am upgrading from keyboard shortcuts to using a Stream Deck, and I have 4-6 functions on the same shortcut in vMix.

I have tried the Multi-Action function of the Stream Deck, but there is a delay between the actions that renders this feature useless.
ebjorno  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:14:51 AM(UTC)
ebjorno

Ok guys, after research and testing I finally figured this out.

Step 1:
In vMix Settings>Scripting, add a script.

Step 2:
On each new line, write one function code (Function=ActiveInput&Input=3).
Write as many functions as you like.

Step 3:
Use the URL http://localhost:8088/API/?Function=ScriptStart&Value=live
The value being the name you gave the script in vMix, in my case "live".

Step 4:
Add this URL to the Stream Deck button of choice.

Hopefully helpful to new users! This is really an awesome way of using the Stream Deck, as the script is a text document and can be exported/imported, and you only have to change the code in vMix and not on every button in the Stream Deck program.
thanks 2 users thanked ebjorno for this useful post.
ProSonas on 1/5/2019(UTC), Quinton on 3/4/2019(UTC)
bar807  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2022 1:42:34 AM(UTC)
bar807

Is it possible to call multiple functions in a single API call using the URL feature on stream deck? like for example the below? I need to call the below functions using 1 button

API.Function("PlayPause",Input:="Countdown.gtzip")
Sleep(200)
API.Function("SetDynamicValue1",Value:="Started")

Originally Posted by: NewsworthyVision Go to Quoted Post
Hi team, I had a go at this the other night, and thanks to your help, and the API cheat sheet, I made this layout:

UserPostedImage

The layout on the deck looks like a basic, small standard switcher, and works with or without focus. Here are some of the buttons and their codes:

UserPostedImage
Mix Code

UserPostedImage
Preview input 1 code

UserPostedImage
Program input 1 code

UserPostedImage
Toggle recording code (Only recording one at this stage)

UserPostedImage
Cut from preview to program (Also discovered that localhost and 127.0.0.1 are interchangable)

Works nicely now. Just have to make sure your inputs line up as you like them first. Enjoy :)