logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David_in_Philly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:05:35 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I prefer physical switcher control surfaces but had been lamenting the small number of inputs usually offered. I recently picked-up an Xkeys-128 and decided that I could do without the T-bar. This decision, along from information from Vmix that stated that they didn't support direct, on-the-fly input selection (along with on-the-fly overlay channel selection), actually provided an opportunity to do without an overlay bus (row of buttons).

So now I was able to create a 32-input switcher (program and preview buses), along with some other very helpful functions - which you can see here and in the attached photo.

As you'll see in the upper right hand corner, there are 4 overlay channel buttons, but unfortunately, no toggle in/out capability, so I had to use two buttons for each overlay channel. As long as I select the desired input channel in Preview first, I can bring it in on any overlay channel.

You may have also noticed some unusual black keys, in the bottom and top rows (on the left). On the bottom row are positioning buttons; primarily for quickly changing the "area of interest" on 4K camera sources (in a 1080 preset); effectively providing 4 or 5 additional "virtual" cameras from a single 4K source.

In the upper left are buttons that I HOPE will soon be supported by Vmix (they stilll require shortcuts that don't yet exist) - for changing the "white stretch" and "black stretch" functions (like brightness & contrast) found in the Color Adjust section. You might think of these as part of a "Poor Man's Camera Control Unit" for quickly adapting to lighting changes throughout the day.

You can see my feature request posting here - and support it with a "+1" in your reply. Thanks!
David_in_Philly attached the following image(s):
XKeys-128-Vmix 32 input.png (621kb) downloaded 48 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:21:07 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
no toggle in/out capability

??? Yes there is. Check https://www.vmix.com/hel...tFunctionReference.html, especially the OverlayInput1 , 2, 3 , 4 commands

Check this post I did for using vMix with a midi controller. You might find ideas for your own setup
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9765

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
David_in_Philly on 4/13/2018(UTC)
r5dad  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:20:50 AM(UTC)
r5dad

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
From personal experience with the same surface, I prefer to have separate buttons for DSK on/off. This way there's no confusion and you have complete confidence that you actually turned the DSK on when you hit ON, and off when you hit OFF. or in/out to be proper.

With toggle, you have to visually confirm if you turned it on/off. For DSK specifically, toggle will increase the chance of accidents.

Just my opinion, of course.

You can also create shutcuts that change input parameters. For example, I also use an Elgato Stream Deck, which has nested folder buttons. I can access a specific folder dedicated to parameters for a specific input. So I can turn an overlay on/off, change the overlay to a different input, change alpha, even change volume.

In this fashion, I can assign say Input1 an overlay 1 as Cam1. Then be able to change overlay 1 to Cam2 with the StreamDeck. Basically making it a matrix controller. Then on the Xkeys surface, switch like normal.

The web function reference will give you the ability to do a whole lot more than even keyboard and mouse. I suggest taking a look at it.

Jon

streamdeck
https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck
thanks 1 user thanked r5dad for this useful post.
David_in_Philly on 4/13/2018(UTC)
David_in_Philly  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 12:46:25 AM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
r5dad wrote:
From personal experience with the same surface, I prefer to have separate buttons for DSK on/off. This way there's no confusion and you have complete confidence that you actually turned the DSK on when you hit ON, and off when you hit OFF. or in/out to be proper.

With toggle, you have to visually confirm if you turned it on/off. For DSK specifically, toggle will increase the chance of accidents.

Thanks, Jon.

Yes, you remind me of why I had given up on the toggle function - and then forgot about it. Guillaume was, of course, correct in pointing out that the function did, in fact, exist, but I also remember that if you had a different input in preview, that it cut out the overlay instead of removing it using the same effect that brought it in.

The Stream Deck seems like a great companion too - especially with its ability to change button function on the fly. I will definitely investigate it further.

Thanks for that too!
kricher1964  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 8:18:39 AM(UTC)
kricher1964

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 4 post(s)
With the toggle shortcut you can also enable an activator to light up the same x-keys button to tell you when the overlay is in use.