logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamestel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:47:39 PM(UTC)
jamestel

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker, but just recently made an account. For a while I've been working with depth sensors, but just recently began implementing NDI support.

Depth is extremely powerful, it can not only determine a background thus allowing it to be subtracted, but also allow interaction with digital objects as if you in the same space. Perfect example is the ability to walk around a virtual set in front of and behind objects.

This is a premature demo of removing a background with full NDI support, but I would love feedback and suggestions to help gauge if this is a viable project to commit time too.

Video Link

UserPostedImage
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:37:07 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ jamestel

This looks like really cool technology and definitely something worth exploring if deemed a viable alternative.
I guess the real question is how cost effective is it in comparison to the existing green screen chromakey technology?
It would definitely be a no brainer if cameras had the sensors built in...

Ice
rowby  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:54:41 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi Jamestel

Looks real good.

I am also wondering if this could also be directly incorporated into vMix. — without requiring NDI.

Either way — it looks great.

...Rowby.

UODATE. I did a YouTube search and found this video.

Is your technology similar to the above Youtube demo?

Rowby.
jamestel  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 12:58:22 PM(UTC)
jamestel

@IceStream

The particular depth sensors that would be supported include a full 1080p, 30fps built-in camera.

I agree, it would be a natural fit. Especially for live remotes requiring virtual sets or a recording location that lacks the space for a green screen such as a live performance.

@rowby

That is a great suggestion! My only initial thought is proximity from the depth camera and the vMix computer due to USB length restrictions. Are operators normally less than 5 meters (16ft) away from the actual camera?

Yes, same sensor actually. The background removal method Intel provides is a simple background segmentation. It lacks broadcast minded features such as floor subtraction and finite control. Thank you for sharing Rowby!

Thank you guys for the feedback! (:
Peter B  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 6:18:06 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi,

Very impressive. I remember seeing depth keying at NAB decades ago, they had presets where as you walked forward you became colour from BW and other effects. Not good enough for broadcast then but the streamng world changes everything.

Being able to pull a key on a presenter on stage where a green screen isn't really possible or a band/performer would be cool.

It could also be used to blur the cameras backgound or simply attenuate it to put more emphasis on the subject. Offering a complex user definable mask shape may help a lot.

You should set yourself a finite time on the development and then re-evalute where your at.