logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AgentPete  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:13:03 AM(UTC)
AgentPete

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This is a very simple, almost basic requirement that appears to be hard for vMix to do. 

Simply, we need to send the master bus plus talkback from the control room to each contributor. Sounds easy!

Unfortunately, vMix will only allow one bus to be sent to each contributor - and will not allow the creation of sub-busses, so things quickly get complicated. 

A fix for just two contributors is to send each other's audio to each other, and add talkback to the same bus, as follows: 

Guest1 + Talkback > BusA > Guest2
Guest2 + Talkback > BusB > Guest1
Guest1 + Guest2 > Master bus > Producer

However, this will not work for more than 2 contributors.

Any thoughts very welcome. 
mgrayeb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:49:36 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
AgentPete wrote:
This is a very simple, almost basic requirement that appears to be hard for vMix to do. 

Simply, we need to send the master bus plus talkback from the control room to each contributor. Sounds easy!

Unfortunately, vMix will only allow one bus to be sent to each contributor - and will not allow the creation of sub-busses, so things quickly get complicated. 

A fix for just two contributors is to send each other's audio to each other, and add talkback to the same bus, as follows: 

Guest1 + Talkback > BusA > Guest2
Guest2 + Talkback > BusB > Guest1
Guest1 + Guest2 > Master bus > Producer

However, this will not work for more than 2 contributors.

Any thoughts very welcome. 

Have you found any solutions for this dilemma? Here's one idea that is not ideal but might work in a pinch?

My understanding from Martin/vMix support is you can right click on a vMix call input and change the audio source "on the fly" during a show.

So for example, I have 2 (or more) separate vMix Call participants, and I have their audio sources set to "Master" at the start of the show.

But if during the middle of the show, I need to briefly "Talkback" to Guest B, and only Guest B, while Guest A is talking and while Guest A's shot is "live," (and I know that Guest A will continue speaking long enough for me to have a quick private Talkback with Guest B), I can right-click on Guest B's vMix Call input and change the audio source to "Bus A" on the fly during the show. Then, as long as I've enabled Bus A in Audio Output settings and selected the "Bus A" button on my mic in the vMix Audio Mixer (and also de-selected the Master button on my mic), I can quickly say something to Guest B via Bus A, without Guest A (or any other guest not using Bus A as an audio source, for that matter) hearing it and without it going out over the air. I just need to quickly change Guest B's audio source back to Master after the quick Talkback so Guest B can hear the broadcast again.

Not an ideal solution, but at least they can hear me as the producer and I don't have to compete with the audio of the other guests when I'm trying to have a quick talkback with individual guest(s).

Martin indicated one can also set up a shortcut for a VideoCallAudioSource as an alternative to manually switching the audio sources as outlined above.

Similarly, if I need to be able to let Guest B talkback to me privately, if I understand this method correctly, I can manually select the "Bus A" button on their audio input in the vMix Audio Mixer on the fly (and de-select Master so that what they're saying to me doesn't go out over the air), but again, I'd need to manually switch back that guest's audio input settings in the vMix Sound Mixer to Master immediately after our private dialogue is complete so that the guest's voice could be heard in the broadcast again.

Not sure that it helps in your scenario but wanted to throw it out there in case it does for others.
TuesdaysLive  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 4:02:47 PM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Our solution was a bit different and requires a mixer that has two subgroups, along with multiple audio input/output devices on the PC.

Our Audio Output settings are set to the following:
Master Output = Enabled
Headphones = External USB Audio #1
Bus A = Internal Audio Output
Bus B = External USB Audio #2

Each callers audio is set to run with the 'Solo' channel on, which send the audio to Bus A and the Headphones output of vMix by default. The Headphones output is run to our mixer as an input monitored by our producer via Subgroup 3/4. This way it is not returned back to the callers out of the main output.
Our producer has his mic run from the mixer main output to the PCs internal audio input and it is set to go to Bus A in vMix, via Subgroup 1/2, which is sent to the main output of the mixer.

We use Bus B for additional audio, in this case music or video audio. This audio is ran to a mixer input and sent via Subgroups 1/2 as well, allowing both the producer and callers to hear such audio and allowing separate volume adjustment of it independent of our producers microphone.

This method allows us to use 'Triggers' to selectively send any combination of callers/producer/music/video items to the Master Audio output at any time. We currently use Triggers to send audio to the Master Output when required.
This method allows all participants to talk amongst themselves while the show is streaming and playing something else, like music, or a video. It could additionally, be used to allow a producer to talk directly to any, or all callers, by activating, or deactivating the audio return, to exclude a caller, or group of callers, as needed.

Monitoring, via Headphones of the Master Output is not required, as the level indicators are a good reference and assurance point that audio is going to air.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

R
thanks 1 user thanked TuesdaysLive for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 3/20/2018(UTC)
Murchik  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 6:12:13 PM(UTC)
Murchik

Man
Ukraine

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I use a professional sound card ... and if there are no problems with the inputs, then there are a shortage of outputs and already very strong! it's time to add at least 2 additional outputs A, B, + C, D or even. I have 8 separate outputs ... and I can alternatively give out only 3 ... A, B and headphones.
thanks 2 users thanked Murchik for this useful post.
TuesdaysLive on 3/17/2018(UTC), mgrayeb on 3/20/2018(UTC)
TuesdaysLive  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:29:44 PM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Murchik wrote:
I use a professional sound card ... and if there are no problems with the inputs, then there are a shortage of outputs and already very strong! it's time to add at least 2 additional outputs A, B, + C, D or even. I have 8 separate outputs ... and I can alternatively give out only 3 ... A, B and headphones.

That would be helpful as well. +1 to that.
thanks 2 users thanked TuesdaysLive for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 3/20/2018(UTC), David_in_Philly on 5/10/2018(UTC)