logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doggy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:44:49 PM(UTC)
doggy

Groups: Registered
Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Going to give myself an small xmas present in the form of a mini Midi controller and would like some opinions , pro-cons etc from a shortlist : Akai APC Mini <> Novation Launchpad Mini MK2

use for starters:
switching / launching various titles/overlays
start stop recordings
basic replays
audio on of
switch between live and various promo clips , playlists , full screen graphics
etc

really need visual feedback on status and function (labels?) !!

opinions ?

thanks
Guy

ps often to be used @ outdoors situations (button lights visibility ? )
al4video  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 7:32:34 PM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
doggy wrote:
Going to give myself an small xmas present in the form of a mini Midi controller and would like some opinions , pro-cons etc from a shortlist : Akai APC Mini <> Novation Launchpad Mini MK2

use for starters:
start stop recordings
basic replays
audio on of
etc

really need visual feedback on status and function (labels?) !!

opinions ?

thanks
Guy

ps often to be used @ outdoors situations (button lights visibility ? )

Not sure if this would help you but this company makes shortcuts for the Akai Mini.

http://bit.ly/2hGG1Ym

doggy  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 10:04:51 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

thank you @al4video

currently more interested in how both compare to each other in terms of use
seems the difference is mainly the sliders and size/shape of the buttons, currently for me I see no use in the sliders but that could change
how is the visibility of the lighted buttons compared for example
shortlisted these 2 due to their compact (travel) size
Price wise they are about the same here
Does anyone use labels on them ( or similar ones) ?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 10:20:27 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ doggy

I have an older Novation Launchpad, so I am not sure how it compares to the Mini MK2 (or the AKAI for that matter),
The MIDIControlChange buttons work great, there are just too few of them for my liking, BUT with the MIDI Note buttons (most of the buttons on the pad) being "dual stage" (ON/OFF or press/release), they often act like a double mouse click, so depending on the function you assign to them determines how effective they will be for you. Any Functions in vMix that are toggles, such as Start/Stop or ON/OFF like "Overlays" will be ineffective unless you want to hold the button down for the duration (not practical). Similarly for switching, you need to be deliberate and wait for the transition to complete before releasing the button, otherwise you will get a "stutter" transition.

Hope that helps some.

Ice

EDIT: Solution/FIX illustrated by ARGO82 below
stigaard  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 10:42:01 AM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
doggy wrote:
Does anyone use labels on them ?

I use the Akai APC Mini with paper labels with glue that sticks to the button. The labels are still easy to switch out.

I bought the labels in the local bookstore, and they fit more or less the size of the button.

If there were more space between each row of the buttons, I would prefer to stick the labels right above the row, so the label is not on top of the button, but just above the button on the device.

I've looked up the Launchpad device you are looking at, and it's really up to you whether you like square buttons, or more rectangular. I prefer the rectangular, which allows me to stick on a label with a bit of text, I usually put two or three words.
Cpilcher  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 11:04:04 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
With activators able to light buttons now I am switching out my labels for the clear Dymo Labeler type. You can get colored type on a clear (or colored background).

If you get things the way you like it you can do a more finished version having them printed to size on overhead projector film. When you print them out you can have the image reversed or mirrored and the print will be on the underside of the label. I use a little spray adhesive to secure them.

Chuck
AlanZ  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 12:44:11 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I like using sliders to zoom and pan either individual inputs or the contents of the output window.
This is particularly useful in a picture-in-picture mode where is can be handy to adjust the position of the larger image so the smaller image doesn't block something important.
thanks 1 user thanked AlanZ for this useful post.
DWAM on 1/17/2017(UTC)
doggy  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 2:12:47 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
IceStream : Any Functions in vMix that are toggles, such as Start/Stop or ON/OFF like "Overlays" will be ineffective unless you want to hold the button down for the duration (not practical). Similarly for switching, you need to be deliberate and wait for the transition to complete before releasing the button, otherwise you will get a "stutter" transition.

not completely following not having practical experience with them but this confused me, like an overlay is on/off and so is the function of the button

Quote:
AlenZ : I like using sliders to zoom and pan either individual inputs or the contents of the output window.
This is particularly useful in a picture-in-picture mode where is can be handy to adjust the position of the larger image so the smaller image doesn't block something important.

Hmm, good point on the zooming inputs , not for the same reasons but do see usefulness for title/result lists adjustments prior to actual outputting them

Quote:
If there were more space between each row of the buttons,

Is what I was wondering , thanks . also for the various interesting ideas
Saw one idea where they used a full sheet over all the buttons with Velcro pads in the corners to easily switch a complete sheet, would need to test if individual buttons would still function properly (guess depends how fare one needs to push them in )
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 2:54:22 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ doggy

Again, I don't know whether this applies to newer Launchpads or other MIDI devices, it's just my experience with mine, and sorry if my description is somewhat confusing but I will try and clarify.
I used the "Overlay" function as an example as I believe it is the most 'visual' example of a toggle button I am referring to, Click once and it's ON, Click again and it's OFF, but it applies to any similar toggle function in vMix like 'Record', 'Stream' or Start/Pause of a Timer.
With the dual stage nature of my Launchpad buttons, it acts like two mouse clicks when you Push and Release each "MIDINote" button, one click when you PUSH and one click when you RELEASE, thereby negating (actually ON/OFFING) the very function you want ON with each PUSH of the button (unless of course you hold the button down, which as stated is not practical).
Hope that helps clarify a little.
Perhaps others can chime in as to whether this "Dual Stage" nature of my older Launchpad applies to newer or other devices.

Ice

EDIT: Solution/FIX illustrated by ARGO82 below
stigaard  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 4:45:23 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
@IceStream

Ahh, I've read your earlier post about this toggle thing, and I didn't understand it, but now you clarified about the dual stage thing, and it makes totally sense now.
ask  
#11 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 8:40:29 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@
With the dual stage nature of my Launchpad buttons, it acts like two mouse clicks when you Push and Release each "MIDINote" button, one click when you PUSH and one click when you RELEASE, thereby negating (actually ON/OFFING) the very function you want ON with each PUSH of the button (unless of course you hold the button down, which as stated is not practical).
Perhaps others can chime in as to whether this "Dual Stage" nature of my older Launchpad applies to newer or other devices.

Ice, all the devices (x-keys, APC mini, Korg Nano devices etc) that have buttons seem to trigger two signals, a button down, and button up state. I generally will set shortcuts to activate on button down, which means selecting find in the shortcut dialogue, hold the target button down on the midi device, then set the function in the shortcut you want the button to activate. Then I release the button. That gives me the most immediate response on the shortcut.

Cpilcher  
#12 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 8:49:16 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Nice detail ASK. I have my buttons programmed the same way.

Also controllers can have different types of signals sent. The regular Midi Notes will give you the control of a toggle switch (push On, Push again for Off). Then there are the CC controls, or Control Change which will act as momentary switches (Push On, Release Off). There may be a way to adjust the buttons default type in the setting software. But it may be a fixed variable as well and unable to be changed.

Chuck
doggy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 4:04:13 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Thanks for the feedback, xmas came and left me a apc mini :-)

First impressing ; is going to be useful once programmed to the specifications of my tasks

To make my life easier I got myself a template for within vMix ( asked Martin how to added it to the templates as for now I only managed replacing the other Akai's image and label coordinate files)

the activators make thing even better once i figured out some sequences: say I have a mute button it standard would light up in a sort of opposite way (light when not muted) . to get this more correct had to set a default state first prior to a color state when muted

pity though that one can only choose 2 states (colors) rather than all of them per button , say on an input have different color for active, preview or none of those , seems lowest in the list will take over previous state specified. (asking to much I guess ;-)

anyway useful tool after some prep work
Argo82  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:19:31 PM(UTC)
Argo82

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ doggy

Again, I don't know whether this applies to newer Launchpads or other MIDI devices, it's just my experience with mine, and sorry if my description is somewhat confusing but I will try and clarify.
I used the "Overlay" function as an example as I believe it is the most 'visual' example of a toggle button I am referring to, Click once and it's ON, Click again and it's OFF, but it applies to any similar toggle function in vMix like 'Record', 'Stream' or Start/Pause of a Timer.

Ice

I don't know if this issue has been resolved, but there is a very simple fix. I just bought a used Novation Launchpad S and had the issue with toggles shortcuts.

To make the toggle shortcuts work, check the box next to the velocity value number of the midi note (in picture). I don't know if this applies to other midi controllers, but this is how I got them to work on the Novation Launchpad .
Argo82 attached the following image(s):
midi - toggle.png (13kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked Argo82 for this useful post.
IceStream on 2/14/2018(UTC)
IceStream  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:52:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Argo82

Thanks Mark, I'm not sure either if this is a "fix" or has always been the answer (as it seems I thought I had tried it before without success, but I don't know for sure).
In any event, it's a solution that works across the board and makes my Launchpad usable professionally!

Ice
dungthantai  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 4:54:57 AM(UTC)
dungthantai

Man

doggy wrote:

use for starters:
start stop recordings
basic replays
audio on of
etc

The control board is modding by myself
- Switching OK
- Start stop recordings and streaming OK (in switching 4 source mode)
- Replay no, It to hard, I use different device for control 4 sourcereplay
- Audio on off OK (It include up/down volume level each input source)
- Possible, just by your control

https://www.facebook.com...eo_source=user_video_tab

I just do it for myself and some of my customer, can I sell it on Amazon or Ebay ? is that possible ?

UserPostedImage