logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
niemi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 6:42:27 PM(UTC)
niemi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
With vMix being able to stream to three simultaneous destinations, we have often used it in a setup like this:

Stream 1) Facebook account #1
Stream 2) Facebook account #2
Stream 3) Youtube account #1, primary

However, this turns out to be a very risky approach. If you stop the live stream in Facebook account #1 (in the Facebook web browser interface), this can affect the other streams in vMix, basically making not just Stream 1 fail, but also Stream 2 and Stream 3 in vMix. This means that if a persistent connection failure occurs in either stream, all streams in vMix will be risked.

I have seen this behaviour many times in the latest version of vMix, 20.0.0.30.

As a result, we now send a just a single live stream from each vMix machine to Wowza Streaming Cloud and from there forward the streams to the different CDN's.
nowski  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:12:12 AM(UTC)
nowski

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Might be worth exploring a repeater service like restream.io we use this to stream to Youtube and Facebook while sending out a single stream from vmix. It is a paid service, but not too expensive and no bandwidth or data limitations.
You can stream to Youtube for free, but custom RTMP streams are $7.50 a month as far as I recall.

edit: ah I see you already do...

NiBTour  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:45:14 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Yes restream is a very good alternative being it's basically free with the exception of custom RTMP and transcoding like nowski said. This is my biggest problem with vMix when it comes to their streaming side. Once you start you can't do anything unless you kill the stream. I would love to stream using the tool only and start and stop other streams as I chose. I get around it by sending the feeds out via external and use another system(s) to do this but i'm curious why vmix does this or doesn't allow the option of a more rebust multi-stream solution. :(

niemi wrote:
With vMix being able to stream to three simultaneous destinations, we have often used it in a setup like this:

Stream 1) Facebook account #1
Stream 2) Facebook account #2
Stream 3) Youtube account #1, primary

However, this turns out to be a very risky approach. If you stop the live stream in Facebook account #1 (in the Facebook web browser interface), this can affect the other streams in vMix, basically making not just Stream 1 fail, but also Stream 2 and Stream 3 in vMix. This means that if a persistent connection failure occurs in either stream, all streams in vMix will be risked.

I have seen this behaviour many times in the latest version of vMix, 20.0.0.30.

As a result, we now send a just a single live stream from each vMix machine to Wowza Streaming Cloud and from there forward the streams to the different CDN's.

niemi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:42:47 AM(UTC)
niemi

NiBTour wrote:
... I would love to stream using the tool only and start and stop other streams as I chose. ...

To be able to control and start/stop the 3 streams independently would be a nice feature, but controlling the streams in an independent way would also require further development of the interface. Right now it is not really a requirement from our side, however independant stream behaviour really is. We cannot having one bad stream literally stopping the other two streams.

It is a serious problem.
pba  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:54:12 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
It's true! Also serious problem for us. Missing feature...

niemi wrote:
NiBTour wrote:
... I would love to stream using the tool only and start and stop other streams as I chose. ...

To be able to control and start/stop the 3 streams independently would be a nice feature, but controlling the streams in an independent way would also require further development of the interface. Right now it is not really a requirement from our side, however independant stream behaviour really is. We cannot having one bad stream literally stopping the other two streams.

It is a serious problem.

NiBTour  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:11:22 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Not really. You can keep the tabs the exact same but just don't disable them when streaming and allow to start and stop interdependently which in turn wouldn't make one stream dependent on the other. i do agree with you though where the more important issue is if your allowing 3 streams don't let one break the other. I use restream.io now so neither are that big of a deal. it's more of a shocker it hasn't happened yet then anything else.

niemi wrote:
NiBTour wrote:

It is a serious problem.

dark_ata  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:19:32 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
and also the option of 3 streams with the same encode, if we uses the 3 streams with "use stream 1 quality" and the first uses hardware encoder not work, us vmix uses ffmpeg this is easy to add.
niemi  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:06:34 PM(UTC)
niemi

NiBTour wrote:
... I use restream.io now so neither are that big of a deal. it's more of a shocker it hasn't happened yet then anything else ...

Thanks NiBTour. How solid a service to you consider restream.io to be? Have you seen any issues yet, and how many live streams have you been using it for?
niemi  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:10:46 PM(UTC)
niemi

I have contacted the vMix team twice about this, and while I have always been impressed with their responsiveness, this issue doesn't seem to be a priority. At least I haven't heard anything for several weeks now.
niemi  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:39:49 PM(UTC)
niemi

Bouncing this back to attention...
admin  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:56:37 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

At the moment all streams in vMix are all linked together by design.
We recommend the following approaches where more flexibility is required:

1. Use the vMix NDI output to another laptop or PC that can be used as an independent encoder for another stream.
This allows full control over the secondary stream using something like vMix Basic HD, or the other free streaming encoders available.

2. Use a rebroadcasting service such as Restream.io
https://restream.io/

This option has the added benefit of reducing the bandwidth requirements of your local connection as the distribution
is handled in the "cloud".

3. Consider streaming to a single provider and embedding that stream into the other social networks you wish to stream to.
For example when using YouTube Live you can embed that into Facebook and Twitter posts directly for example.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin
vMix
corporatejames  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:25:10 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

We recommend the following approaches where more flexibility is required:

1. Use the vMix NDI output to another laptop or PC that can be used as an independent encoder for another stream.
This allows full control over the secondary stream using something like vMix Basic HD, or the other free streaming encoders available.

2. Use a rebroadcasting service such as Restream.io
https://restream.io/

This option has the added benefit of reducing the bandwidth requirements of your local connection as the distribution
is handled in the "cloud".

3. Consider streaming to a single provider and embedding that stream into the other social networks you wish to stream to.
For example when using YouTube Live you can embed that into Facebook and Twitter posts directly for example.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Or Switchboard.live also adds similar features to restream.io > One stream out to multiple destinations that all can be controlled
niemi  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:18:58 PM(UTC)
niemi

admin wrote:

Thanks Martin, any chance for a separation of the streams in a future release?
niemi  
#14 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 5:58:29 AM(UTC)
niemi

niemi wrote:
Thanks Martin, any chance for a separation of the streams in a future release?

Independent stream control (as mentioned in #3) would be great, but for now, simply unlinking the three streams would be a major, major fix.

Is it possible?

Rod  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 4:27:49 PM(UTC)
Rod

Hi! Check www.multiplierapp.com.br/en
Here you can open/close any target live (routes)

​Connect Live Personal Profiles, Pages, Groups, and Events from Facebook or YouTube Channels without being an admin or have a password and nobody login, since everyone connects with just 1 click! ​Whether via your mobile phone and computer, ​going SIMULTANEOUSLY LIVE or using our exclusive AUTO LIVE function, where you can upload your pre-recorded videos and likewise, ​everyone will ​go live at the same time, with your title and description in all Facebook Profiles, Pages, Groups, and Events or YouTube Channels that are registered to your channel. Go Auto Live > upload pre-recorded or edited video files from your smartphone, tablet or computer, or enter links from YouTube or Dropbox videos, pick a date and time, and that's it! All Facebook Personal Profiles, Pages, Groups and Events or YouTube Channels will ​go live, simultaneously with you, even if you and all other subscribers are disconnected, and you can repeat this same video up to 9 times in different days and times etc.

Important> we are not SPAM but really approved at Facebook and Youtube. Peolpe need to WANT and ALLOW you at their social networks!
niemi  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:40:02 AM(UTC)
niemi

I am looking for the streaming in vMix to work in a sensible way, which means separating the three streams so they won't take each other down.

Why not fix it?

Restream solutions might serve well as a stopgap, but it doesn't change the fact that a design change is really missed in vMix.