logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nakedeye  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 8:57:02 PM(UTC)
nakedeye

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Team!

I am new to vMix and so just wanted some help to get best settings for an upcoming livestream. We have two cameras connected by BMD Mini Recorders and are capturing a 720p/50 stream from the cameras and I was wondering how to best setup the streaming output in vMix settings. If I select a 720p stream output in the streaming settings can you tell me what is the framerate of the stream output? Is it 50p or 25p by default? Is there a way to manually set this in vMix? 720p/25 for the stream out would be fine for this job even though there are some fast camera pans this is mostly not live so just slow to medium pans and a fixed wide shot will go live. The only other option I have is to capture as a 1080i/50 stream into vMix as the mini recorders do not capture 1080/50p this would require de-interlacing and then scaling to 1280x720p/25 for the stream out.

So for capture at 1280x720p/50 I would setup a matching project in vMix and the encoder for the live stream output would take care of the framerate and set to 25p. Is that correct? Or is there a setting I need to set manually for the framerate?

And alternatively for capture of 1080i/50 I would setup a 1080p/25 project in vMix, add the de-interlace option to the capture inputs for the cameras and as above with the encoder set to 720p would output a 25p stream for livestreaming. Is this correct? Does it make sense?

Out of interest which option would be preferred? Reason for asking this last question is that it might be beneficial to have camera masters in 1080p/50 for any further post. Not important for this job though.

Thanks for any info or help! And please forgive my ignorance.

Regards
Dave.
ask  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:43:28 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
My guess is that you are using Canon Cameras for capture. The best advice is to match resolution and frame rate all through your workflow. I run 720p50 for all my sports streams and get a very clear and crisp stream, even when I don't have enough bandwidth to stream at YouTube recommended settings. So in short, match the camera and the encoding/streaming/recording resolution and frame rate to the same settings where you can, then look at the recording and streaming bit rate on a case by case basis.

The outgoing resolution and frames rate is what you set your profile (project) to in the settings. Look at the Master Frame Rate: https://www.vmix.com/help20/index.htm?Display.html

You can however override that in the external output settings https://www.vmix.com/hel....htm?ExternalOutput.html

and in the recording settings. https://www.vmix.com/hel...edRecordingSettings.html
nakedeye  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:59:22 AM(UTC)
nakedeye

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks for the advice! I guess it all comes down to bandwidth available on the day. I did detect a few dropped frames on the outputs during testing though. The reason was due to framerate and not CPU or hard drive. Any idea what this means? Our cameras are actually XDCAM SONY models and do support 1080p/50 output over sdi however the week link is the mini recorders as they do not support 3G so at 1080 it means interlaced. Will update to a duo 2 for 3G.

Regards Dave.