logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DCSmith  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 5:54:21 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Groups: Registered
Man

Our church is seriously considering Live Streaming our services. I have done a successful demo with vMix and a streaming provider using video clips and an old webcam. I am in the process of designing a new system.

Single "Video ONLY" SDI output from VaddioProductionView HD-SDI MV switcher into a BlackMagic Design Micro Converter (SDI to HDMI (to drive local HDMI monitor)with SDI Loop out) to BlackMagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder installed in a new Dell Computer that exceeds vMix suggested specs. It will have Windows 10 Pro.

Here's my question.

I am planning on injecting the audio from a separate mixer feed in Stereo directly into the Dell computer using the motherboard stereo audio input. I am assuming that vMix will let me select my audio source as there will be no audio on the SDI signal.

We have purchased nothing yet. However, we are seriously looking at the gear specified above. We will not be using vMix as a camera switcher. Hence the single video feed.

Is this workable? Am I missing anything?

DCSmith attached the following image(s):
Streaming.jpg (78kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Peter B  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 7:02:02 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Why not plug the monitor directly into the 2nd hdmi on the Dell?

I believe you can connect the X32 with USB or get one of these, better quality than
an internal unbalanced audio connection -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD
thanks 1 user thanked Peter B for this useful post.
DCSmith on 12/4/2017(UTC)
DCSmith  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 7:54:32 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

Peter B wrote:
Why not plug the monitor directly into the 2nd hdmi on the Dell?

I believe you can connect the X32 with USB or get one of these, better quality than
an internal unbalanced audio connection -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD

Thanks for the response!

Regarding plugging the monitor into the computer, that is a possible choice. However, For some reason I was thinking I needed two monitors just to run vMix - probably Program and vMix. I haven't touched it since August as my demo license has expired. The other issue is that there will be times when we want to run "Overflow" only and not stream.

Regarding the balanced to unbalanced issue, I had not taken that into consideration. How about a Focusrite Scareltt 2i2? A quite a bit more expensive than the Behringer unit, but I am familiar with the product. I have a 6i6.
Peter B  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 10:18:06 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
If your only streaming with vMix one monitor is fine. Having the monitor upstream of vMix will
not take into account its delay and it will be slightly out of sync with the PCs audio.

Focusrite should be fine, check these forums but USB digital is better.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 10:33:12 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ DCSmith

I am somewhat curious about your reasoning or want of the Vaddio switcher?
A hybrid workflow is often a "growing pain" as a result of existing hardware (and completely understandable) but when designing and building from scratch it seems a little odd to me that you would make that choice.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
DCSmith  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:15:33 AM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ DCSmith

I am somewhat curious about your reasoning or want of the Vaddio switcher?
A hybrid workflow is often a "growing pain" as a result of existing hardware (and completely understandable) but when designing and building from scratch it seems a little odd to me that you would make that choice.
Just my thoughts.

Ice

The Vaddio Switcher is also the PTZ Camera control. The device does both jobs.

When you say "hybrid workflow", I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting we use vMix to do the switching?

Our current workflow is a little complicated as one of the planned cameras needs to be switched to our main display to show a Baptism. The Baptismal is not directly visible to the congregation. I have attached another block diagram showing our current switching arrangement (blocks in yellow) and our planned switching & components for the overflow/streaming.

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears. I want to get this right as it is a lot of money.
DCSmith attached the following image(s):
Video Switching-Streaming.jpg (159kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DCSmith  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:21:24 AM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

Peter B wrote:
If your only streaming with vMix one monitor is fine. Having the monitor upstream of vMix will
not take into account its delay and it will be slightly out of sync with the PCs audio.

Focusrite should be fine, check these forums but USB digital is better.

I have been concerned about the audio/video sync issue. I had planned on the possibility of having to introduce an audio delay to resolve the problem. However, churches I have spoken with have not had any sync issues.

Are you suggesting a different USB Digital component for injecting audio into vMix?

SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 2:30:31 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Your Behringer X32 already has USB connectivity for audio Input/Output for a computer. There's no need to buy a Behringer UMC202, a Focusrite, or any other USB sound device unless you want a spare.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
DCSmith on 12/7/2017(UTC)
DCSmith  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 11:08:13 AM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Your Behringer X32 already has USB connectivity for audio Input/Output for a computer. There's no need to buy a Behringer UMC202, a Focusrite, or any other USB sound device unless you want a spare.

You are correct! I hadn't thought of using the Card output configured as 2 in/2 out(L&R).