logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stampersplus  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 11:48:23 AM(UTC)
stampersplus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello - I am just getting the feel of vMix, and I am starting to like what I see. I read somewhere in the vMix site that I should get the same source of cameras/Video Cams/Webcams so that there is not fiddling around with bit rate, etc. I am not professional in any way, and would like to get something simple. I am already editing my capture videos in a Movie Studio so the playing around part in the software won't be too bad. I just don't have the general knowledge of what hardware will work for me.

I teach papercrafting and scrapbooking. I will be capture recording for private viewings and streaming to FB Live on all angles from face, workstation, left and right. I want to be able to do PinP, Side by Side views and wanting to make my capture look like professional.

I have the following:

Video HD Camcorder
Webcam
Nikon S90

I want to get one more camera/webcam. My son has a hero 3 that I can use.

Will these work? I have no issue of getting the same hardware too. Just need your advise as what to purchase or not.

TIA, Liz
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 1:51:46 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Webcams can work well, if the lighting is good. They have the advantage of being small and easily placed near the work. I recommend the Logitech C920, C922 or C930e. I'd shy away from the Logitech Brio.

The camcorder, GoPro, etc likely have HDMI outputs. I presume that you have some kind of HDMI capture device.

I'd be wary of the GoPro's. They have a very wide angle lens that introduces a lot of barrel distortion. The Go Pro Studio software removes this in a post-process, but you'd have to live with it for a live stream.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
stampersplus on 9/29/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 1:59:43 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Liz

GoPro Hero 3 can be used along with vMix at the expense of using a capture card or device. It has 3 angles: wide, medium and narrow. Narrow provides an usable image with no distortion at all.

But it's possible to produce a good show with 1 or 2 cameras/webcams. Adding more is not fundamental at least at the beginning. Start with what you already have and buy new stuff if if you feel the absolute need.

As Michael said, lightning is really important when working with webcams (and GoPros).

Guillaume
stampersplus  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 2:39:02 PM(UTC)
stampersplus

DWAM wrote:
Hi Liz

GoPro Hero 3 can be used along with vMix at the expense of using a capture card or device. It has 3 angles: wide, medium and narrow. Narrow provides an usable image with no distortion at all.

But it's possible to produce a good show with 1 or 2 cameras/webcams. Adding more is not fundamental at least at the beginning. Start with what you already have and buy new stuff if if you feel the absolute need.

As Michael said, lightning is really important when working with webcams (and GoPros).

Guillaume

That is a great idea! I will download the FREE trial first before purchasing. Thank you!
NiBTour  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:03:01 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
Webcams can work well, if the lighting is good. They have the advantage of being small and easily placed near the work. I recommend the Logitech C920, C922 or C930e. I'd shy away from the Logitech Brio.

The camcorder, GoPro, etc likely have HDMI outputs. I presume that you have some kind of HDMI capture device.

I'd be wary of the GoPro's. They have a very wide angle lens that introduces a lot of barrel distortion. The Go Pro Studio software removes this in a post-process, but you'd have to live with it for a live stream.

I'm curious why you say stay away from the brio? I've had nothing but success with this destroying the old classic C920 in terms of performance, quality and better low light capture (i'm only using the brio for 1080) so i'm curious why you would talk about staying away from it. I'm not saying your wrong just curious. I hate webcams but i have clients that really want them or that's all they can afford so again please do share :)

-King
stampersplus  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:40:26 PM(UTC)
stampersplus

NiBTour wrote:
mjgraves wrote:

I'm curious why you say stay away from the brio? I've had nothing but success with this destroying the old classic C920 in terms of performance, quality and better low light capture (i'm only using the brio for 1080) so i'm curious why you would talk about staying away from it. I'm not saying your wrong just curious. I hate webcams but i have clients that really want them or that's all they can afford so again please do share :)

-King

Hi - purchased the C920, and I have C610. When adding an input camera, the software does not recognize that is it 1920x1080. It gives me a lower resolution. I only have the trial version. Do you know if the single version allow for hi-def?
NiBTour  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:46:33 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
stampersplus wrote:
NiBTour wrote:
mjgraves wrote:

-King

Hi - purchased the C920, and I have C610. When adding an input camera, the software does not recognize that is it 1920x1080. It gives me a lower resolution. I only have the trial version. Do you know if the single version allow for hi-def?

The Basic HD does. here it are the versions and features

https://www.vmix.com/purchase/
Wianka  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:15:27 AM(UTC)
Wianka

I just started using vMix for livestreaming sports events. We would like to add a GoPro Hero3+ to the usable camera's. What is the best way to do that? Through usb 3.0 or Hdmi mini/HDMI?
when connecting the device, vMix doesn't seem to recognize it as an input channel...
thanks 1 user thanked Wianka for this useful post.
stampersplus on 10/18/2017(UTC)
mburel1980  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:05:33 AM(UTC)
mburel1980

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Wianka wrote:
I just started using vMix for livestreaming sports events. We would like to add a GoPro Hero3+ to the usable camera's. What is the best way to do that? Through usb 3.0 or Hdmi mini/HDMI?
when connecting the device, vMix doesn't seem to recognize it as an input channel...

Hey,

you will need a capture device to plug in the hdmi cable out of the gopro.

Have a look at the "supported hardware" https://www.vmix.com/sof...are.aspx#capturehardware

I don't think a direct USB connection will work with the gopro.

All the Best

Marc
thanks 1 user thanked mburel1980 for this useful post.
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2017 10:17:13 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:

Hi Liz,

the trial version of vMix has all features and is absolutely not limited whatsoever.

Both the C610 and C920 webcams support 1080p. Make sure your vMix project is correctly set for 16/9 1920x1080 before trying to add the cam inputs.

Keep us posted.
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:34:17 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
NiBTour wrote:

-King

I have the following on my monitor right now: Brio, C920, C922, C930e. I also have the BCC950 and CC3000e PTZ models. I've been meaning to get around to publishing a comparison.

I've not yet put any effort into assembling a rational test scene. That is, something more insightful than just me at my desk. Preferably something with both bright, saturated colors and motion. I keep thinking that a model train set would be ideal, if I had one.

I do think that Brio deal better with high contrast scenes. However, I'm not so sure that it's better than the C920 overall. I find it very noisy. Also, it's utility will not load when any other Logitech webcam is also attached to the PC.

Do understand that my office is quite dark, so I may be seeing more noise than others experience. I do have a dedicated video conference light, which lights me well, but the background can remain quite dark.