logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roverradio  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 6:30:31 PM(UTC)
roverradio

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
vmixndihelper.exe crashes about 10 seconds after launch.

This also seems to crash vMix 20 upon exit as well.

Any ideas?
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 9:29:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
roverradio wrote:
vmixndihelper.exe crashes about 10 seconds after launch.

This also seems to crash vMix 20 upon exit as well.

Any ideas?

NDI in vMix 20 is the same as vMix 19, as we have not released NDI 3.0 yet.
Are there any new NDI sources you are using that might explain the problem?
roverradio  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 9:52:50 PM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

We recently (a few days ago) upgraded to Newtek NDI tools 3.0...could that be the culprit?

Using Scan Converter for screen capture (it has more control over what monitors/windows are made available via NDI than vMix Desktop Capture, which we require for privacy of producers). We were using Scan Converter with no issue prior to that (although, they may have updated Scan Converter...inexplicably Newtek doesn't put version info on any of the NDI Tools applications).

Also now using NDI tools' Studio Monitor for testing output from vMix.

I will do some experiments without those sources/destinations and try some other ones to see if it still gives problems, however I have closed Scan Converter and the Studio Monitor on the other machines on the NDI network

Once vMixNDIhelper crashes, it actually continues to work (you can even add more NDI sources) as long as you click Debug instead of Close Program on the crash dialog box. Close Program crashes vMix.

Also, once vMixNDIhelper crashes, when you later exit vMix it crashes vMix.

Not sure where any logging/debug info is stored or I would send it.

P.S. We've been waiting for NewBlue integration...that's great! Haven't had time to play around with it, but looking forward to it!
roverradio  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 10:16:15 PM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

** UPDATE

Looks like that is the culprit. Didn't realize the NDI Tools applications were now NDI 3 only? Figured they'd be backwards-compatible.

Reverted to NDI Tools 2.x and don't appear to be having the issue.

Sorry for the false alarm.
roverradio  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 10:48:30 PM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

Sorry the the triple-post, but I spoke too soon. Popping up with receiving Scan Converter from NDI Tools 2.x clients.

Tried CCleaner complete removal of vMix and re-install, no change.

Anything more I can provide that would provide some insight to you?

NOTE: It will crash even after just loading a blank vMix project and letting it sit there a couple of minutes (not adding sources or doing anything else).
admin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 12:01:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Please drop us an email at info@vmix.com.au
There have been no changes to NDI since 19, so I suspect there is a source on your network that is causing the crash and we can diagnose via TeamViewer to locate which one.
stuartdeankites  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 3:37:14 AM(UTC)
stuartdeankites

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom Sinclair suffered an NDI helper crash during part1 of his latest broadcast (saw it on youtube)- not sure what changes he was making at the time.
admin  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:07:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

stuartdeankites wrote:
Tom Sinclair suffered an NDI helper crash during part1 of his latest broadcast (saw it on youtube)- not sure what changes he was making at the time.

I believe he was using the Bird-Dog which needs updated firmware to avoid causing this issue.
roverradio  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 12:57:09 AM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

This is a follow-up to the vmixndihelper.exe crash reported earlier in the thread.

Took me a long time to track this down, but it is related to a Newtek recommendation for assigning NDI traffic to one specific NIC. Apparently this causes vmixndihelper.exe to crash.

In a nutshell, here's the scenario:

We require dual-NIC setups in all our workstations on the production truck. Each machine has 1 20Gbit fiber NIC for LAN data (including NDI) on 192.168.3.x subnet, and one 1Gbit NIC for a separate audio over IP network (WheatNet audio) on 192.168.87.x. 3.x runs through a router and of course uses a default gateway, 87.x runs to a Cisco switch only with no gateway. There should be no cross traffic.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell NDI to use only a specific NIC. So what happens is some NDI goes over the 20Gbit fiber as we'd like, and some ends up going over the WheatNet audio NIC.

After consulting Newtek, they explained their recommended way to achieve per-NIC routing is to block UDP 5353 (bonjour) on the adapter you don't want it to use, so NDI won't announce its presence. Then using NDI Access Manager, manually setup all the IP's you want to receive from (in our case, the 192.168.3.x addresses of the workstations).

So, this works fine...if vMix only receives NDI from one source. Once you add a second source IP, it crashes vmixndihelper.

Interestingly, you can continue to add the sources just fine, and it does indeed route all NDI traffic to the 192.168.3.x network as desired. It just crashes vmixndihelper in the process, which in turn seems to make vmix itself unstable upon close and other activities.

Sooo...not sure if this is a Newtek issue or vMix issue. Vehicle leaves for 2-week broadcast trip on Friday, would love to see if a resolution could be devised by then.

If I am missing something obvious, or if I can provide further help, please let me know.

Thanks!

roverradio  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 2:16:49 AM(UTC)
roverradio

United States

More succinctly, after further testing, I've determined vmixndihelper.exe crashes if you have 2 or more IP's entered in "Networks/Receive From IP Addresses" in NDI Tools Access Manager. That's with all firewalls off on all machines.

Can anyone else give that a shot? Enter the IP addresses of 2 machines that are currently sending NDI signals in Access Manager. Then start vMix, add a couple of NDI sources, and see if helper crashes. Does every time here.

Screengrab: http://imgur.com/a/xNnWE
admin  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 2:25:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

Just moved this to a new thread as it isn't about 20 per se.
I have emailed Rover some instructions to do some debugging on the error, so hopefully soon we will have a report we can file to NewTek.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 9:07:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

As an update I can confirm there is a bug in the NDI SDK that affects systems where more than one IP address has been configured in the NDI Tools Access Manager
and two or more of these IP addresses has active NDI sources.

Additional symptoms include a windows error when switching sources in Video Monitor and when closing inputs in vMix.

I have filed a bug report with NewTek and will release an update when it is resolved, however for now using the Access Manager access more than one IP address
is not recommended.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
tripperkingLV  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:57:02 PM(UTC)
tripperkingLV

Where can I find "NDI Tools Access Manager" I have similar problem in vMix with newest NDI|HX driver. or can I simply uninstall the newest NDI|HX driver and install the older version ?