logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
niemi  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 11:46:05 AM(UTC)
niemi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
If a thunderbolt cable is somehow disconnect during production, vMix wont recognize the capture card when it is reconnected. vMix needs to be completely shut down and opened again. This is of course far from ideal if it happens during production.

Is this something that be recreated by the vMix team, and potentially something that can be found a fix for?

It would also be useful to know from other users if this is also the case with the AJA IO 4K, and other laptops running on different thunderbolt firmware revisions / drivers.

We use this combination:

Asus GL502
Blackmagic Decklink 2 Duo
Sonnet Echo Express SE I Thunderbolt 3

Thunderbolt driver version: 16.2.55.275
Firmware driver version: NVM 4.00 PD 1.07.06
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 6:10:25 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Its happened to me a couple of times as well. Thankfully, those times were during setup. I now take extra care not to disconnect the TB cable during production. If there is a solution for this, it would be great.

Kelvin
niemi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 5:52:09 AM(UTC)
niemi

Kelvin wrote:
Its happened to me a couple of times as well. Thankfully, those times were during setup. I now take extra care not to disconnect the TB cable during production. If there is a solution for this, it would be great.

Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin. Could you post your setup? Maybe also with firmware & driver versions.
Eric Pratt  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 2:24:40 PM(UTC)
Eric Pratt

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 6 post(s)
When any of my Thunderbolt devices disconnect, lose power etc, the only way to reconnect them to vMix is to restart vMix. My guess, and I'm only guessing, is that when the software starts it does a scan for hardware and the reason you don't want to do that mid production is due to interfering with already established connections.
niemi  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:15:54 AM(UTC)
niemi

Eric Pratt wrote:
When any of my Thunderbolt devices disconnect, lose power etc, the only way to reconnect them to vMix is to restart vMix. My guess, and I'm only guessing, is that when the software starts it does a scan for hardware and the reason you don't want to do that mid production is due to interfering with already established connections.

If this is the case, being able to force a re-scan would be the solution. Maybe this could be an advanced option that could be activated in settings.

Any thoughts from the team?
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:55:00 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I wonder if this is a Windows issue and somewhat related to the USB/MIDI connection loss as discussed here:

https://forums.vmix.com/...ts&m=39877#post39877

Just my thoughts.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
niemi on 9/5/2017(UTC)
admin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:22:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Due to how Thunderbolt and PCIE works, it is not possible to redetect the device in vMix without restarting the software.
The best solution is to work out a way to secure the connector so it never becomes unplugged.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:27:37 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
As IceStream mentioned, this is a Windows issue most likely. Maybe a Windows 7 user can jump in because on that OS, some of the Apple forums state you have to reboot the computer. Starting with Windows 8/8.1 rebooting wasn't necessary.

@niemi

Is the situation your Thunderbolt cables are getting unplugged by accidental contact? For my AJA IO XT the Thunderbolt cables I use fit very firm from the IO XT to my laptop. It takes a fairly hard pull to get them out, so they wouldn't come out by getting bumped. Of course, someone could press the power switch on the IO XT.......
niemi  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:21:32 AM(UTC)
niemi

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
As IceStream mentioned, this is a Windows issue most likely. Maybe a Windows 7 user can jump in because on that OS, some of the Apple forums state you have to reboot the computer. Starting with Windows 8/8.1 rebooting wasn't necessary.

@niemi

Is the situation your Thunderbolt cables are getting unplugged by accidental contact? For my AJA IO XT the Thunderbolt cables I use fit very firm from the IO XT to my laptop. It takes a fairly hard pull to get them out, so they wouldn't come out by getting bumped. Of course, someone could press the power switch on the IO XT.......

It was something I discovered when unplugging on purpose. I always secure the laptop end of the thunderbolt cable with a piece of duck tape. As you say it is pretty tight already, but not tight enough to leave it to chance. The other end of the cable is actually secured with a screw to the Sonnet enclosure. It would be nice if laptop manufacturers provided laptops with similar mounts.

admin wrote:
Due to how Thunderbolt and PCIE works, it is not possible to redetect the device in vMix without restarting the software.
The best solution is to work out a way to secure the connector so it never becomes unplugged.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Restarting the software is not an option while streaming and recording, so if this is the case a secondary capture / output card (maybe connected via USB) might work out as a plan b.