logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowby  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 10:56:51 PM(UTC)
rowby

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi

When controlling PTZ cameras it would be great if the zooming and movement features could include an "easy ease" option-- as found in most video editing programs.

Right now if the camera is moved or zoomed in the production shot the movement is abrupt, with sudden starts and stops -- like a robot security camera. That is what an "easy ease" option would correct. It would start with a gentle ease in and end with a gentle ease out.

You would have the option to add the ease in and out duration in an option.

Thanks!
Rowby
PTZOptics  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 10:41:14 AM(UTC)
PTZOptics

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This would be an awesome function. There is a way to mask the PTZ functionality all together using a Blank Stinger and the playlist function... You can just show the last segment of the transition... I am creating a video on this soon....

The blank stinger effect allows PTZ camera operators the ability to use automated camera playlist like never before. Today you can use automated camera playlists to run through a loop of PTZ camera presets for multiple cameras. We have found this to be a great “hand free” video production solution enhanced tally lights allowing our on-screen talent to know which camera is live.

Usually, we would keep our PTZ cameras on static positions and avoid rotations with multiple PTZ positions per camera to avoid capturing actual PTZ camera movements. Here is where the blank stinger comes into play. In-between each camera or input in our playlist we can use transition effects. Usually, we would use a 1500 millisecond fade to nicely transition between various cameras. But using a blank stinger we can trigger the PTZ camera movements before the transition happens effectively masking the camera movements.

As you can see, the vMix playlist feature is right next to the “Stream” and “Multi-Corder” buttons. You can add cameras to your playlist for automation by clicking the cog next to the playlist button. If you want to mask the movement of automated pan, tilt, zoom movement you will have to select a stinger set for the average camera PTZ movement.

If you have never made a stinger before we have free download you can use here. A stinger is essentially an image sequence. Stingers are used to transition between multiple cameras or video clips with cool looking transparent overlays. A good singer will transition between multiple video inputs with a smooth transparent overlay shifting between each input to create the illusion of transparency.

Once your playlist is setup you can choose the duration each input will stay active until transitioning to the next input and the transition length. When you choose a stinger in vMix, it needs to be configured in the “Overlay section”. Here you have the ability to choose the stinger length and the cut point. The cut point is the place in time where you want the the stinger to transition. In order to mask the PTZ camera movements we really only need roughly 1-2 seconds of time before our transition.
rowby  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:10:28 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

PTZOptics wrote:
This would be an awesome function. There is a way to mask the PTZ functionality all together using a Blank Stinger and the playlist function... You can just show the last segment of the transition... I am creating a video on this soon....

Hi -- first of all I love the PTZOptics videos and your generous sharing of so much information on your site and videos.

The stinger looks good.

In my case I want to promote Vmix to a client or two who has fashions -- suggesting they use it for fashion shows with PTZ cameras such as those you offer.

So you can see the ability to zoom in on a model wearing a necklace, panning up and down her outfit from head to toe, pausing now and then -- that's where "Easy ease" would come in.

I am happy to see your response here, because I wasn't sure if the solution would be a VMix "fix" or something that you would add to the software firmware in your cameras.

I am certain that sooner or later "easy ease" will find its ways into Vmix and PTZOptics cameras -- I'm just trying to nudge that feature sooner rather than later.

Thanks
Rowby
rowby  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:18:26 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

PTZOptics wrote:

Hi -- first of all I love the PTZOptics and your generous sharing of so much information on your site and videos, udemy etc.

The stinger looks good. But of course "easy ease" is also needed.

In my case I want to promote Vmix to a client or two who has fashions -- suggesting they use it for fashion shows with PTZ cameras such as those you offer.

So you can see the ability to start on a wide shot of a model - then zoom in to her necklace, panning up and down her outfit from head to toe, pausing now and then -- that's where "Easy ease" would come in. It's really essential for live zooming and panning for these types of situations. The same would apply to sporting events, etc etc.

I am happy to see your response here, because I wasn't sure if the solution would be a VMix "fix" or something that you would add to the software firmware in your cameras.

I am certain that sooner or later "easy ease" will find its way into Vmix and PTZOptics cameras -- I'm just trying to nudge that feature sooner rather than later.

Thanks
Rowby
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:49:55 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Rowby, pls make sure you dont't publish the same post multiple times. And if you do, delete the duplicates.

You might find some technical problems that hinders your request to be implemented in the topic https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=6477
(and it is always a good idea to search the Forum beforing adding a new request).

Thanks
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
rowby on 7/31/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 11:54:02 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
What you're really describing is control of acceleration/deceleration along a path. It presumes that the path is known in advance. Also the period (time) of the change.

I would think that simple linear or spline options for the start/end points would be a good place to begin. Perhaps divide the path into thirds; acceleration, linear travel, deceleration.

A catenary (chain curve) analysis might be even better, but more complicated.

I would think that this is best implemented in the controller and not the camera itself.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
rowby on 7/31/2017(UTC)
rowby  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:39:17 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

richardgatarski wrote:
Rowby, pls make sure you dont't publish the same post multiple times. And if you do, delete the duplicates.

You might find some technical problems that hinders your request to be implemented in the topic https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=6477
(and it is always a good idea to search the Forum beforing adding a new request).

Thanks

Hi I was trying to edit my post -- and did it a few times -- ending up somehow publishing the post 2 extra times. I did hit the delete buttons and removed the duplicate posts. But perhaps you saws them before I deleted them.

Rowby
PTZOptics  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
PTZOptics

So there are two factors you can use. First of all, I really like the Blank Stinger idea to mask some of the initial PTZ movement. You can go into the overlay section to increase or decrease the time it takes vMix to cut from the current camera to the camera Pan, Tilting, and Zooming.

Second, you can adjust the actual PTZ speed between camera presets. You can currently control pan, tilt and zoom speeds with our new iOS app. video here -

So between the transition control and the PTZ speed control you should be pretty close.
PTZOptics attached the following image(s):
Camera-Speeds-for-Presets-1-1024x596.jpg (83kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked PTZOptics for this useful post.
rowby on 7/31/2017(UTC)
rowby  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:13:07 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

PTZOptics wrote:
So there are two factors you can use. First of all, I really like the Blank Stinger idea to mask some of the initial PTZ movement. You can go into the overlay section to increase or decrease the time it takes vMix to cut from the current camera to the camera Pan, Tilting, and Zooming.

Second, you can adjust the actual PTZ speed between camera presets. You can currently control pan, tilt and zoom speeds with our new iOS app. video here -

So between the transition control and the PTZ speed control you should be pretty close.

Hi Paul,

Indeed that app really helps.

A experienced network television director / editor would notice, however the "hard stops/start" at the beginning and end of the movement. That could affect her / his decision of whether or not to use PTZ cameras in a production.

It's a subtle thing, but easy ease would be the icing on the cake!

For those following this thread, here's an example of what "Easy ease" is

Thanks
Rowby
PTZOptics  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:31:32 AM(UTC)
PTZOptics

I finished the tutorial video -

This should explain the concept of the "blank stinger" allow producers to mask all PTZ camera movement OR choose the amount they want to show during each transition.
thanks 1 user thanked PTZOptics for this useful post.
rowby on 8/1/2017(UTC)
rowby  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:05:50 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

PTZOptics wrote:
I finished the tutorial video -

This should explain the concept of the "blank stinger" allow producers to mask all PTZ camera movement OR choose the amount they want to show during each transition.

Thanks Paul! I checked out the video. That is a very nice workaround to "easy-ease".

Appreciate you putting it up so quickly!

Rowby
mjgraves  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:20:09 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
The idea is to delay the transition until the camera has had the time to complete it move. It's a nice hack.

It would still be valuable to have controller that treated the PTZ move like a DVE effect, with linear, spline & cushioned stop/start & waypoints.

I do wonder if the PTZ mounts user servo- or stepper-motors? Servos would have smooth movement, where steppers would cog at low speeds.

Way back in the day I ran a computer-controlled animation stand, where such matters were a going concern.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
rowby on 8/1/2017(UTC)
rowby  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:25:39 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

The idea is to delay the transition until the camera has had the time to complete it move. It's nice hack.

mjgraves wrote:
It would still be valuable to have controller that treated the PTZ move like a DVE effect, with linear, spline & cushioned stop/start & waypoints.

Hi

Yes, that would give ultimate control (although I guess everyone always wants more!). Perhaps there could be an advanced tab in the camera input for those who want to even go as far as splines. And basic easy ease for everyone else...

Again great applause for Paul for coming up with this brainstorm!

Rowby
kane  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:12:02 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
rowby wrote:
Perhaps there could be an advanced tab in the camera input for those who want to even go as far as splines. And basic easy ease for everyone else...

Recalling camera presets is all in the hardware of the camera. The computer software isn't saying anymore more to the camera than 'recall preset 1'. At that point, the camera moves as it is designed. Some cameras might have speed adjustments, but any kind of advanced motion (spines, ease in/out) would have to be built into the firmware of the camera first before you could have a software application offer this kind of functionality.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
rowby  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:11:09 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

kane wrote:

Recalling camera presets is all in the hardware of the camera. The computer software isn't saying anymore more to the camera than 'recall preset 1'. At that point, the camera moves as it is designed. Some cameras might have speed adjustments, but any kind of advanced motion (spines, ease in/out) would have to be built into the firmware of the camera first before you could have a software application offer this kind of functionality.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Thanks, Kane, for that clarification. Wasn't sure where this enhancement would start at....

ROwby
w7psk  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2021 3:18:04 AM(UTC)
w7psk

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not sure where to post this but this seems a good place.

We are ready to go to a PTZ camera. Is there a forum or a place I can ask a bunch of questions before we dive in. Our Sony Video camera
is ok, but we want more now.

Let me know where I can ask such questions.

Thanks

Rick