logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WebCaptioner  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:23:13 PM(UTC)
WebCaptioner

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
jvphobic wrote:
Does webcaptioner.com keep all of the text for an entire show (up to 4 hours)? I may not want to do live captioning, but I could keep it open and copy and paste the text into the YouTube CC for our podcasts.

Currently it only saves the last 1000 characters. In a previous version I had it save transcribed text for perpetuity but I was running into performance problems. I'm planning on adding it back after I can solve some issues with it. I've also gotten requests to make it possible to export a caption file that includes both the transcription and timestamps, which would be suitable for uploading to YouTube. That is also definitely possible and it's on the list of things I'm looking into -- I want to get it right the first time so it may take some time before this becomes a reality.
GeorgeR  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:30:08 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
WebCaptioner wrote:
jvphobic wrote:
Does webcaptioner.com keep all of the text for an entire show (up to 4 hours)? I may not want to do live captioning, but I could keep it open and copy and paste the text into the YouTube CC for our podcasts.

Currently it only saves the last 1000 characters. In a previous version I had it save transcribed text for perpetuity but I was running into performance problems. I'm planning on adding it back after I can solve some issues with it. I've also gotten requests to make it possible to export a caption file that includes both the transcription and timestamps, which would be suitable for uploading to YouTube. That is also definitely possible and it's on the list of things I'm looking into -- I want to get it right the first time so it may take some time before this becomes a reality.

Thanks WebCaptioner. Hope you can let us know when you get the upgrades added to Web Captioner.
WebCaptioner  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:05:26 PM(UTC)
WebCaptioner

GeorgeR wrote:
WebCaptioner wrote:
jvphobic wrote:

Thanks WebCaptioner. Hope you can let us know when you get the upgrades added to Web Captioner.

Thanks - the best way to get notified about updates will be through the Web Captioner Facebook page.
boris9831  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 2:37:42 PM(UTC)
boris9831

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thank you GeorgeR.

I support a church that uses ProPresenter for lyrics which is sent to two 16x9 ft screens via Fullscreen in vMix. Yesterday a thought popped into my head (can be scary :-)) - closed captioning for the sermon, announcements etc. would be a great addition. After testing https://webcaptioner.com/ at home I decided to go to the church to test this using the their audio system input set up for vMix live stream broadcasting. I used an screen input selecting screen 2 to capture the browser which I had sized to show only two lines of text. Then I cropped to fit and moved it down for lower thirds. Since the background is black I was able to use luma key to make the background transparent. Then all I had to do was select an overlay. BTW - this same set up used for ProPresenter but I don't need to position the input because the screen is full 16 x 9 black and ProPresnter sends the lyrics lower thirds already.

The Associate Pastor, who gave the sermon, is from Kenya and has a heavy accent. For the most part the program was right on. I compared this to closed captioning on a YouTube video with someone who has a heavy accent at it was about the same. For people who's first language is English this seems to work 99% of the time. There were a few times when it skipped phrases.

WOW - this could provide some great added value benefits including the fact that a live recording could already have closed captioning embedded.

Wish list - suggestions

- add lower thirds formatting (16 x 9 aspect ratio) with no more than two lines at the bottom of a black screen and allow font size adjustment.

- OR parse the ASCII text to a vMix title input (via data sources). Then you could do all the formatting via Title Editor. If the data source could be saved then it could also be used for transcription edits, a major time saver.

- stand alone software (like ProPresenter) that sends the data to an NDI feed (eliminates a screen capture input).
GeorgeR  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 7:27:31 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

boris9831 wrote:
Thank you GeorgeR.

I support a church that uses ProPresenter for lyrics which is sent to two 16x9 ft screens via Fullscreen in vMix. Yesterday a thought popped into my head (can be scary :-)) - closed captioning for the sermon, announcements etc. would be a great addition. After testing https://webcaptioner.com/ at home I decided to go to the church to test this using the their audio system input set up for vMix live stream broadcasting. I used an screen input selecting screen 2 to capture the browser which I had sized to show only two lines of text. Then I cropped to fit and moved it down for lower thirds. Since the background is black I was able to use luma key to make the background transparent. Then all I had to do was select an overlay. BTW - this same set up used for ProPresenter but I don't need to position the input because the screen is full 16 x 9 black and ProPresnter sends the lyrics lower thirds already.

The Associate Pastor, who gave the sermon, is from Kenya and has a heavy accent. For the most part the program was right on. I compared this to closed captioning on a YouTube video with someone who has a heavy accent at it was about the same. For people who's first language is English this seems to work 99% of the time. There were a few times when it skipped phrases.

WOW - this could provide some great added value benefits including the fact that a live recording could already have closed captioning embedded.

Wish list - suggestions

- add lower thirds formatting (16 x 9 aspect ratio) with no more than two lines at the bottom of a black screen and allow font size adjustment.

- OR parse the ASCII text to a vMix title input (via data sources). Then you could do all the formatting via Title Editor. If the data source could be saved then it could also be used for transcription edits, a major time saver.

- stand alone software (like ProPresenter) that sends the data to an NDI feed (eliminates a screen capture input).

boris9831 your welcome. Glad something I posted here was of help to someone.

~GeorgeR
WebCaptioner  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:23:52 PM(UTC)
WebCaptioner

Today I added some new options for changing the text layout that might make doing lower thirds easier: https://webcaptioner.com...captioner-a-custom-look/
thanks 1 user thanked WebCaptioner for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 7/6/2017(UTC)
GeorgeR  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:28:03 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

WebCaptioner wrote:
Today I added some new options for changing the text layout that might make doing lower thirds easier: https://webcaptioner.com...captioner-a-custom-look/

WebCaptioner I like it thanks.
richardgatarski  
#28 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:40:58 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
WebCaptioner is fascinating. Far from perfect (who is that by the way), but at many times pretty good. I've done some tests, which together with my thoughts/findings are posted in the WebCaptioner User group on Facebook.

I guess it's up to the developer of WebCaptioner to provide direct integration into vMix (via the API). In any case as others have pointed out here already, it's relatively easy to add WebCaptioner's output into a live production.

Side note, WebCaptioner now supports up to 40 languages (ie understands, not translates).

DWAM  
#29 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 1:18:59 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
I guess it's up to the developer of WebCaptioner to provide direct integration into vMix (via the API)

I agree. Datasource is certainly the way to go. I believe it's not that difficult (using XML for example).

However I pointed out lately in Tom's Streaming Idiots Facebook Group that it would be very interesting for WebCaptioner to conform to the FCC rules for close captionning. As a matter of fact, the FCC has defined a protocol for captions which is already implemented by most of the OVPs.

This means, it would allow closed captions to be available on demand in our streams, just like subtitles in DVDs... rather than being encoded in the video.

Here are some links about this:

https://www.fcc.gov/cons...ternet-video-programming

https://support.google.c...ube/answer/3068031?hl=en
https://help.livestream....sed-Captioning-Ingestion
https://www.wowza.com/pr...lities/closed-captioning
http://3vbiz.com/how-to-...to-facebook-live-videos/
https://www.ustream.tv/b...-stream-closed-captions/

I'd like to use it this way. Forcing closed captions in the encoded streams is highly distracting for those who don't need them.

Guillaume
richardgatarski  
#30 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 6:06:11 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

DWAM wrote:
Datasource is certainly the way to go. I believe it's not that difficult (using XML for example).

Maybe, but the updates must be made many times per second, and I don't know how often vMix currently polls the source.

DWAM wrote:
[already implemented by most of the OVPs

I would rather say that most OVP (CDNs) does not support closed captions. Although certainly many of the dominant ones do offer support for *on demand video*. Very few does it for live streams. YouTube is one that does. The offer two ways. One is by "Sending Embedded 608/708 Closed Captions", which to my best knowledge requires expensive extra hardware for the caption ingestion. The second way is by "Enabling Closed Captions". As far as I know this works via their proprietary protocol that is supported by a few, and with one exception rather expensive, cloud services. The exception is StreamText. But so far we have not been able to use them with a decent sync between speech and text. Over a year ago we tried to add live captions this way via YouTube's API, but we never got it working. And YouTube never answered our questions.

DWAM wrote:
[I'd like to use it this way. Forcing closed captions in the encoded streams is highly distracting for those who don't need them.

Agree indeed, but it's as often a budget issue. Our customers typically regards it is sufficient to send only one stream with open captions (added as a lower third on the video). Sometimes we send two strewams, one without captions, and one with. In the case of YouTube we use their multi-camera support to allow the viewer easy selection of which stream to watch. Or we use javascripts to switch between different live web video players.

Of course I would love to see live video production tools like vMix being able to use the 608/708 method. But we would still be dependent on OVP/CDN support for that.

Another thing to keep in mind is the (time coded) recording of the captions generated live. Besides the need to at least afterwards edit major errors, the captioning also benifits from manual resync afterwards. At least when the output from human Speech To Text Recorders tend to be slighly delayed relative to what is being said. (Well, sometimes they finish the sentence before the speaker does).

On a side note, here are a couple of cases we have published:
- Captioning with the help of UN Web TV
- Captioning and sign language for a Public Service event
richardgatarski  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:47:54 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Brief update: We are currently helping out WebCaptioner with a solution that sends the text via hppt API requests to a Title Input in vMix (Datasources hard to do from within a web app). Current status is closed beta. Some of us have it working, but the implementation needs a few fixes. More info in the Web Captioner Users Group.
richardgatarski  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:50:33 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Another update, vMix integration still in the works (some errenous behavior in the Title's text scroll after a while).

Meanwhile, we used Web Captioner for real at a breakfast seminar a week ago. Which I have documented at westreamu.se/kunder/case-automatic-live-subtitles-with-web-captioner/
WebCaptioner  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:58:55 PM(UTC)
WebCaptioner

Better vMix integration using vMix's web controller API is now live: https://webcaptioner.com...eplacements-help-center/

I'm using a Chrome extension to get around an issue where the website (on https) can't communicate with an insecure origin (the web server vMix spins up on a local computer).
thanks 1 user thanked WebCaptioner for this useful post.
atmonauti on 10/10/2017(UTC)