logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jsawyer77  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:07:31 AM(UTC)
jsawyer77

Groups: Registered

We are looking to replace our current tricaster 40 systems with custom built systems running vMix. I did not see much information on the audio cards compatible with the the vMix software.

What we currently do is take one analog in from our mixer and use that for the live stream and send the audio out to two separate locations at the facility where we are streaming from so people can listen to the shows.

Any information would be appreciated

TIA
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:03:55 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

if you search the forum for audio solutions you will find a lot of useful information

Regarding vMix, there are at least 2 options

- using an external mixer going to the soundboard or the capture card (or one camera). This is pretty much what you do with the tricaster

- using an audio interface like the Behringer UMC404HD for example. Some devices give the ability to feed vMix with as many audio channels as they support. This way the mixing can be done entirely into vMix.

One thing's worth considering: audio latency

If you need to output audio for a PA, it's certainly better to use an external mixer.
Otherwise, audio is embedded (and synced) in the output.
So it all depends on your use cases and workflow.

Hope this helps
Guillaume

jsawyer77  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:24:45 PM(UTC)
jsawyer77

Thank you,

What I was trying to do is duplicate the tricaster with a sound card so that we would would have everything in one case and not have to have an external interface. We currently take audio from two or three host from our mixer into the tricaster for streaming. We then take the output and run it to a couple monitors so that it can be viewed simultaneous by the show host and some other personnel onsite.

Regards,

stevespaw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:40:31 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
We use Dante Virtual Soundcard in all of our systems for Audio I/O. We use Mixers that have Dante built-in.

My 2 cents,
Steve
thanks 2 users thanked stevespaw for this useful post.
mjgraves on 7/20/2017(UTC), Peter B on 7/20/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:04:15 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
stevespaw wrote:
We use Dante Virtual Soundcard in all of our systems for Audio I/O. We use Mixers that have Dante built-in.

My 2 cents,
Steve

I see that small, affordable Dante hardware interface devices are starting to appear. Do you have any experience of these. Could someone use one of these to add Dante capability to an existing analog mixer?
stevespaw  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:37:54 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

stevespaw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:41:34 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 5:54:59 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Quote:
What I was trying to do is duplicate the tricaster with a sound card so that we would would have everything in one case and not have to have an external interface

Not as many PCIe soundcard offerings as there once was with PCI. There are still higher end cards such as Digigram, Lynx, and AudioScience, but they can get pricey.

If you want something installed internally, maybe a Sound Blaster ZxR and not use the daughterboard. Or something cheaper. Not a big fan of Creative Labs and their cards.

Perhaps you can find something from AudioScience on eBay that has the amount of Ins/Outs you need. Just make sure there's a current driver for the card. Prices have dropped on these cards since one of their intended markets, broadcast radio is switching to audio over IP (AoIP).

stevespaw mentioned, Dante Virtual soundcards, and the Dante to Analog. It's $169 at BH Photo.

Not all in one box, but USB interfaces have wide range pricing and many manufacturers/models to choose from. DWAN mentioned the Behringer UMC404HD, a very good unit.