logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
netmojo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:49:19 PM(UTC)
netmojo

Groups: Registered

It would be great to be able to fully control the vMix U via the API, so as to create a fully automated video production, with no human interaction. Specific features I'd want to be able to control would be:

1. Picture in Picture control: to put input source 1 in a PnP box on top of input source 2 (for example), and place it precisely on screen, and dynamically resize and reposition the PnP box.

2. Start/Stop recording and streaming functions.

3. Play static files like intro videos and title screens, overlaid on the program.

We're doing this now with a Panasonic HMX100 mixer via serial interface, with the exception of streaming & recording, which it doesn't do. However, they have discontinued that product, and we're looking for alternative mixers. The vMix U has a lot going for it!

Thanks,
Brent

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:57:45 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ netmojo

Brent, what have you tried so far?
I think a lot of what you request is already possible (if I have understood you correctly)

Ice
netmojo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:02:06 PM(UTC)
netmojo

IceStream wrote:
@ netmojo

Brent, what have you tried so far?
I think a lot of what you request is already possible (if I have understood you correctly)

Ice

Hi Ice, I don't have a vMix (yet) -- I'm trying to determine whether it has the features we need. I talked to a sales guy but he had no clue about its programming capabilities. I looked at the documentation at:

http://www.vmix.com/help17/DeveloperAPI.html
\_ http://www.vmix.com/help...utFunctionReference.html

I misinterpreted it at first, but now I see that starting and stoping streaming & recording functions are there, as are titling features. Great. However, its not clear wether the Picture in Picture (PIP) control is there. I'm guessing that PIP would fall under the "Overlay" section of functions. If that is correct, then OverlayInput1 would then toggle a PIP on/off, but how does one resize the PIP box with the API? How to movie it from the lower left corner to the lower right corner (with the API), for example?

Thanks!
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:21:34 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
netmojo wrote:
IceStream wrote:
@ netmojo
I misinterpreted it at first, but now I see that starting and stoping streaming & recording functions are there, as are titling features. Great. However, its not clear wether the Picture in Picture (PIP) control is there. I'm guessing that PIP would fall under the "Overlay" section of functions. If that is correct, then OverlayInput1 would then toggle a PIP on/off, but how does one resize the PIP box with the API? How to movie it from the lower left corner to the lower right corner (with the API), for example?

If you have your inputs pre-configured which I tend to do always in live productions. You could simply create a bunch of inputs with different positions and cut between them via the API. Would be very simple that way. I find simple is best.

I can't imagine you would want to move a PIP 5 pixels to the left during a live production via an API. I'd setup x inputs eg..

PIP1
PIP2
PIP3

PIP10

With the various layouts you use. Then would make adjustments in Vmix to move 5 pixels to the left if required. Most things require consistent positions, but you could have a special need I don't get of course :)

Vmix has a Create Virtual Input button, is really useful to creating inputs quickly based on another with small adjustments.
netmojo  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2016 3:00:03 PM(UTC)
netmojo

Speegs wrote:

If you have your inputs pre-configured which I tend to do always in live productions. You could simply create a bunch of inputs with different positions and cut between them via the API. Would be very simple that way. I find simple is best.

I can't imagine you would want to move a PIP 5 pixels to the left during a live production via an API. I'd setup x inputs eg..

PIP1
PIP2
PIP3

PIP10

With the various layouts you use. Then would make adjustments in Vmix to move 5 pixels to the left if required. Most things require consistent positions, but you could have a special need I don't get of course :)

Vmix has a Create Virtual Input button, is really useful to creating inputs quickly based on another with small adjustments.

I suppose I could setup a dozen or so predefined PIP settings, and switch between them as necessary. We dynamically resize the PIP box in an attempt not to obscure the content of a slide, projected on a screen. Here's an example, scrape through to see different sizes of the PIP window based on the content of the Powerpoint presentation. The PIP also changes from left to right side of the screen, if the speaker moves to the other side.

http://www.birs.ca/event...201603011139-Kovtun.html

puruzio  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:33:59 AM(UTC)
puruzio

Hi, this post seems to suggest that it's impossible to adjust position (x, y) of the title text or image using vMix API. I didn't see it in the user guide, but before I jump to conclusion, I thought I would ask you.

Thanks in advance.