logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 6:02:16 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I gather that vMix access to webcams and capture card is done via DirectShow. This is a technology that, while widely deployed, has largely been abandoned by Microsoft.

They now promote something called Microsoft Media Foundation (aka MMF.) https://msdn.microsoft.c...p/ms694197(v=vs.85).aspx

I will shortly receive an evaluation version of the sub2r camera. The version I'll get is capable of 4k30 now and 4k60 eventually. When connected via USB 3.x this device requires MMF.

It delivers 4k30 using NV12. They tell me that vMix cannot presently cope with this.

sub2r will eventually deliver 4k30 using H264 encoded RTSP/RTMP over Ethernet. That will incur the latency penalty common to long-GOP, making it less than ideal.

In the long term it seems that MMF integration in vMix would be a good, forward looking solution.

Thanks,
Michael
admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 8:54:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Michael,

It isn't currently possible to create a "native" Media Foundation capture device see below:

https://msdn.microsoft.c...p/dd317912(v=vs.85).aspx

The device is either going to be a UVC or WDM driver, in both cases it will show up in vMix via DirectShow
and we fully support NV12 as well.

Not sure why sub2r are saying it is a vMix issue, but it definitely is not the case.
If they are using UVC, my guess is the spec hasn't been implemented correctly somehow.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:22:44 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Thanks, Martin.

They didn't say that it was a fault in vMix. However, there can find literally no examples of using all these older methods at 4k30. They find the camera works with vMix at 1080p30 but not 4k30. Dittto many other well know apps. This has driven them to create their own capture app.

I'm dealing directly with the CEO of sub2r. He's a great guy. Very willing to engage to get things done. Tons of real experience in imaging & optics.

I'll see what can be done to get their camera working with vMix.

Here's their most recent sample video. https://t.co/35ke9YRGGd