logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmorlan62  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 8, 2017 10:12:27 AM(UTC)
mmorlan62

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi there,

I'm developing an Arduino-based control surface and have successfully interfaced it over Ethernet with the vMix HTML/XML API. (See my post here: CS8 Control Surface)

I can easily POST a command with instantaneous response from vMix. Bravo.

One challenge I'm facing is the heavy load of the XML response when polling vMix status from the Arduino using the "/api/?" call. Receiving, parsing, and retrieving values from the, at minimum 2Kb, XML block takes far too long for the two or three variables I'm tracking. (I note the vMix web interface has a similar problem with instant response on button pushes but lagging updates of its buttons to changes made directly in vMix.)

It would be great to be able to retrieve the status of a single variable with a simple string return of the variable, alone (or with minimal XML tags.) That would vastly improve the speed of HTML control surfaces including, I imagine, the vMix web controller.

Status variables I would track include;

o ActiveInput #
o PreviewInput #
o FadeToBlack true/false
o ActiveFader (not available at present)
o Transition1FadeDuration (not available at present)

For example: I might call "/api/?GetActiveInput" and vMix would response with "<active>2</active>" or even just "2".

FYI: I'm also developing MIDI control because of the far greater flexibility it provides in assigning any button and LED on my CS8 controller to events in vMix.

Michael