logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FBCAV  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 2:25:16 PM(UTC)
FBCAV

Groups: Registered

Hi folks,
I have Vmix HD running on our church projection PC so that we can project our video mixer camera feeds on the main screen for baptisms, baby dedications, etc on occasion (we use MediaShout for all other worship projection). The video mixer (BMD ATEM 1 M/E) sends a 720p HDMI feed to our PC and we have a BMD USB3.0 Intensity Shuttle ingesting the video, and we use Vmix in Full Screen mode to send that video camera image to our main screens.

Here's the issue: our main projection screen is actually 2 video outputs from our Matrox C680 video card (merged into one output), and that screen resolution is 2012x768, which is what our MediaShout software is set to, and everything works great for that. However, with Vmix, the 720p video camera/mixer feed is streeeeetched out to the left and right edges of the screen instead of maintaining the native aspect ratio and having black bars on either side...and so everyone looks fat.

I thought it might be a video card setting, i.e. turn off some sort of "stretch mode" or something, but I've played videos and DVDs via Windows Media Player, Windows 10 Video Player and VLC Media Player, and all of them play a 720p video just as you'd expect: a 16:9 video image with black bars on either side of the image on the 2012x768 main screen, so I'm pretty sure this is a Vmix output setting issue.

Does anyone know if there is such a setting to prevent Vmix from stretching the fullscreen output, ensuring that it maintains the correct aspect ratio that Vmix is set to?

Thanks,
Jeff
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:16:28 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Have you checked the help for Fullscreen settings? http://www.vmix.com/help19/Display.html
FBCAV  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:22:36 AM(UTC)
FBCAV

richardgatarski wrote:
Have you checked the help for Fullscreen settings? http://www.vmix.com/help19/Display.html

Yeah, I had, but I missed the "default output/position" part (oops).
It's now set for a centered 1280x720 image with a 24/366/1280/720 position setting but I can see the PC desktop behind the image.
I set my background to black, which works, but I guess there's no way for Vmix to fill the empty area around the active area, huh?

Thanks,
Jeff
Joeboe  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:53:28 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
If your PC has a dual output, you can use the second output as your full screen out,and connect the projector to that.....maybe use a laptop, where you can get your laptop screen for vMix, and the VGA output for your projector, then you should not have that issue.....
FBCAV  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:12:16 AM(UTC)
FBCAV

Joeboe wrote:
If your PC has a dual output, you can use the second output as your full screen out,and connect the projector to that.....maybe use a laptop, where you can get your laptop screen for vMix, and the VGA output for your projector, then you should not have that issue.....

We actually have 6 available miniDP outputs with the Matrox C680 card with the local PC main screen on output 1 at 1920x1080 and outputs 3/4 merged into one doublewide XGA+XGA image for the Main Projection Screen (overlapped 1024x768=2012x768). We use the other outputs for various other things, but not important to this discussion.

The problem wasn't getting the Fullscreen to show up (on the main projector screen), but to not have it default to fill the entire window (which stretched our incoming 1280px wide video camera image to 2012px, severely distorting the image. Richard pointed me to the help file entry that explained the positioning options, which did the trick, but as the vMix Fullscreen output is an overlay, you can see the desktop image behind it. All I had to do was set the desktop background image (which is seen on all video card output desktops by default) to black so it wouldn't look weird.

I was just wondering if there was a way for Vmix to fill in the extra space with black bars like Windows Media Player and VLC do. Not a big deal, though, if it doesn't, at least we have a workaround and will just have to instruct folks not to use a background image for the desktop.

Thanks,
Jeff