logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:12:14 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

Has anybody had any experience with using NDI over Link Aggregated Ethernet segments? I am starting to get close to the limits on some of my network segments, and would rather not have to upgrade to 10Gb switches and Ethernet cards.

I need to get 8 x 1080i50 NDI sources into a single VMIX machine (it has dual Intel Gbit LAN ports that can be bonded) - I understand there is a slight overhead because of a LACP, but in the scheme of things its going to hardly effect things.

Thanks in advance

All The Best

Keith
kane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:26:17 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Link Aggregation is not required for NDI v2. You can plug in multiple Ethernet ports into the switch and it will automatically see that multiple paths are available and take advantage of it. It will not split a single NDI channel across multiple links, but will send multiple channels each across different links.

You can try 802.3ad, but this does require a switch and network interface on Windows that supports it. The built in NDI 'LAG' support, will work with a unmanaged switch and even different makers of Ethernet cards on a system.

If you are talking about needing more bandwidth between switches, then 802.3ad Link Aggregation is going to have to be used there, the NDI 'LAG' support is only between the NDI system and the switch, not between switches.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 8:31:25 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Kane

That it fantastic news!! We actually connect all our switches via a 10Gb fibre ring, so no big issue there. The issue we were going to have was getting 16 1080i50 sources into a single vision mixer over a single Gbit link. We are so close to porting our entire 8 studio facility, and about 50 miles of hd-sdi cable to 100% over to NDI

All The Best

Keith