logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pesi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:20:41 PM(UTC)
pesi

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Recently I recorded an event with a Panasonic cam into vMix as a 1920X1080 H264 file and it recorded just fine. Plays back just fine, etc.
However when I pulled it into Adobe Premiere, the audio-video went totally out of sync!

I read that it was due to the source file being VBR (variable bit rate) which Premiere does not handle well (read crappily!).
The fix was opening that file in Handbrake, re-encoding it as a CBR (constant bit rate) file and then bringing it into Premiere.

Question: How does one get vMix to record as CBR and not VBR?
I see this option in the Stream settings but not in the Record settings (?)
thanks 1 user thanked pesi for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 2/1/2023(UTC)
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 4:26:50 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Pesi

which version of Premiere?
what are your settings for recording?
Was it MultiCorder or just Record?

Never faced such an issue with my recordings!

Guillaume
pesi  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 2:53:24 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

Its Premiere CC 2015
It was just Record (nor MultiCorder)

The settings for plain recording are pretty basic and have nothing for CBR or VBR...

Recording was as MP4
My input was a 1920X1080 size - NTSC framerate 29.97p
Bitrate 8 mbps
Profile H264 Main
Audio - Master
Audio Bitrate 384 Kbps

and that's it.

I saw numerous posts on exactly this issue on other forums - including on Adobe's own forum where there are many many complaints and the only workaround seemed to be the Handbrake one.
It would be nice if vMix gave us the CBR/VBR option for recording like it does in the Streaming settings.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 7:30:41 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I don't have this problem, but I still use Premiere 6.5

AFAIK it's not possible to use strict CBR for MP4 recordings in vMix. However it's possible to use others codecs like ProRes or DNxHD (VC3) which will produce larger files but absolutely usable with Premiere. Other option is MPEG2 TS where CBR is default option. Or use external out to feed FFMPEG with your own recording profiles.

Make some tests and find what's best for you
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 7:38:03 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

pesi  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 7:49:01 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

I did read that and I know that recording as AVI or Mpeg2 may solve the issue.
However, clients usually want the recorded version right away as-is, for their own use to play on their computers at their office and MP4 is the most convenient format to provide them with right after the event on their own USB flash drive.

Now if they suddenly decide on an edited version (which is a rare request) that MP4 will not work in Premiere CC 2015 (which is what I have).
If I knew beforehand that the client will want me to edit I could record in another format, but that is not usually the case.

Am quite pi__ed off at Adobe for not solving this issue which has been ongoing for over a year!
pesi  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 1:51:17 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

DWAM wrote:
I don't have this problem, but I still use Premiere 6.5

AFAIK it's not possible to use strict CBR for MP4 recordings in vMix. However it's possible to use others codecs like ProRes or DNxHD (VC3) which will produce larger files but absolutely usable with Premiere. Other option is MPEG2 TS where CBR is default option. Or use external out to feed FFMPEG with your own recording profiles.

More often than not, my clients require a recording of their webcast which they can post as-is on their website for on-demand viewing. H264 MP4 is perfect for their needs. However, sometimes, those same clients may want me to edit the video - and as I mentioned, Adobe CC screws up the audio-video sync with MP4 files, and for this purpose I should (if I knew beforehand) record as a ts file.

My question is - if I record as a Mpeg-2 ts file (FFMPEG with CBR option) could that same file be put on their website without converting it to MP4 - and would it stream OK on all players?
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 2:22:39 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ pesi

Typically, I would say no.
MPEG-2 is usually used as a DVD format, not an on-line streaming format.
In fact, AFAIK, YouTube will not even allow you to upload such files (i.e. to prevent dvd's from being uploaded).
How are they embedding or hosting the video on their website?
Often, video sharing or hosting sites re-encode the video anyway for playback on multiple devices and/or multiple bit-rates, they will often accept many different formats and convert to MP4.

Ice
pesi  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 4:52:29 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

They post the video on their own sites (usually not on a file sharing site but on their own web pages) using a player like JW Player or some such, as an MP4 itself - which is not a problem.

The issue is, if I record as an MP4 (which I usually do anyway) - giving the file to them to post is a non-issue.
The problem arises when they suddenly ask me to edit the file for whatever reason (which is not too often) - now I have edit that in Premiere CC, which has that syncing problem with MP4 files. (Maybe I should have stuck with CS5!)

vMix unfortunately does not allow more than one recording like Wirecast does.
With Wirecast I could record 2 files simultaneously - e.g. one MP4 and one more copy as an AVI (just in case) and I'd have all my bases covered.
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:28:26 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
vMix unfortunately does not allow more than one recording

Hi Pesi

you can use external out to feed another recorder at the same time you're recording in vMix.
Speegs  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:13:29 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Another option is to record on an Atomos Ninja Series Device (Star, Blade etc), Black Magic Video Assist (ideal for ProRes of AVID Files) or if those are too expensive go for an AverMedia EZRecorder 130 which is cheap (ideal for MP4 even will record direct to the usb stick). I have used all of these recording devices in different situations. Of course my favorite is the Black Magic Video Assist 4k. It is a great video diagnostic tool (but not cheap), so I can see if that SDI or HDMI is working near the camera and then still working past a video sender at 80m etc.. Then figure it why it's not working at Vmix.

The advantage of a box solution like these, there will be no additional load on the computer. If the computer DIES. You still have the recording on the external device.

I like the more expensive devices because they have a monitor built in. So you can see your audio levels, add headphones and well they are handy when you don't want to fire up vmix to record something.
pesi  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 3:54:30 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

Hi DWAM - I did try the external recorder on the same computer but gave up because I did not want to complicate the issue and have anything interfere with the original recording or webcast by running an additional piece of software on the same system (call me chicken!)

Speegs - you've just given me an idea about getting one more toy for Christmas and how to justify it to my boss (the wife)! So Thanks! I will take a good look at all those options you laid out.
pesi  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 4:35:38 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

Speegs wrote:
Another option is to record on an Atomos Ninja Series Device (Star, Blade etc), Black Magic Video Assist (ideal for ProRes of AVID Files)

Looking up the Atomos devices - they all seem to record in ProRes codecs - and many folks in other forums seem to have problems importing those files into Premiere CC for Windows (which is what I use for editing). Have you had any problems importing those files (btw are you on Windows or Mac?)
Speegs  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:28:46 PM(UTC)
Speegs

The Atomos and Black Magic Video Assist Range have no problems importing the files to Premier in either ProRes or AVID. The size of the files might be an issue, because they are "Pro" quality these devices generally record at 50mbit/s + up to 220mbit/s depending on what format you select. They are very much about professional broadcast quality standards, getting all the colour information possible. So don't give you the option to pick your own bitrate, but you can pick one of many preset formats.

ProRes is what FinalCut likes, Premier doesn't much care about ProRes or Avid. There is heaps of details on ProRes vs Avid like this: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1098146 I think for me both are very good quality beyond my expectations so I find myself using the lower file sizes. The exception is ProRes Proxy, I find that quality is too low, but it's called Proxy for a reason it's not designed for final output recordings.

Whereas the EzRecorder 130 box tops out at around 30mbit, you can pick your own bitrate up to the limit. Seems they have a new 310 model on their website not sure what it's limit is.
pesi  
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:48:25 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

So are you on Mac or PC platform?
And which version of Premiere were you referring to? Apparently CS5 had no import problems, whereas CC sounded a bit iffy(?)
Speegs  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:56:15 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Those having problems on the forum with ProRes files seem to be having problems with the ones recorded by Vmix, not by these professional recording devices from Atomos or Black Magic from my understanding. These hardware devices are very STRICT on standards, frame rates, resolutions, colour, timecodes, XML metadata files. Hope that helps.

I've been using Premier CC 2015, 2016 and 2017 (I upgrade all the time). So far not one file from a Atomos Ninja or Black Magic Video Assist 4K has been rejected by Premier. I record to SSD (Ninja Blade) or 1000x SDHC memory card (Video Assist 4K).

Supported Programs for a Ninja Blade (I'd go as far to so "thoroughly tested"), beware of older version maybe:

FCPX/FCP7+
Media Composer 5.0+
Premiere 5.5+
EDIUS 6.0+
Vegas Pro 10+
Lightworks
Autodesk Smoke 2015

Using both the Ninja Blade and the Video Assist 4K. (Maybe not a fair comparison as Video Assist 4K is newer and more expensive).

I like the capacity on a Ninja Blade (2TB SSD no problem). I hate that the batteries do not recharge inside the unit. It's also bulky and awkward. It's tough! Battery life is good.

I like the screen on the VA4K, it's awesome. It's interface is simple. Love that it can record to one SDHC and you can switch to the other one. It also has SDI and HDMI in the same unit, will help you out as a converter in a pinch. Battery life is pretty terrible as you see in many reviews. The high speed SDHC cards are expensive per GB and I've been unable to find them with capacities higher than 256GB each. Nice and small, so handy to keep recording and take one back to edit. I can't do that on the Ninja as it only has one storage device. Definately check the firmware is the latest on the VA4K. New features came in more recent firmware, especially more recording types. While strong and well built, the Ninja Blade feels stronger!

Luckily when not using them as "testing" devices I have them plugged in, I record for 8 hours nothing really lasts that long on battery.

I have not tried the other Atomos devices. They have newer models that might well be better than the Video Assist 4K.
pesi  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:10:01 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

Battery life was my other concern.
I record events which are about 7 hours long - though with a 1 hour lunch break which might be useful for recharging a battery (???)
So battery life is one concern.

The other is file sizes - I would need to calculate what the total sizes would be with a ProRes codecrecording for at least 3-4 hours at a stretch without changing cards.

I was actually looking at the Atomos Ninja Star (both for its price point and also since I don't really need the monitor as I'm just using it as a secondary recorder). I would buy a spare battery to keep as a standby but does not mention if one can have an external power supply which in my case would be ideal.
pesi  
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:28:29 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

So yes, there is an AC power supply available for atomos devices which takes care of one concern.
Now the only other will be file sizes - I read on an Adobe forum that at the highest res, it swallows up about 100 GB per hour of video!
That would mean a lot of cards for an 8 hour event!

I am looking at getting an Hdmi-in-out device to record to my second laptop - the Blackmagic Mini recorder would have been ideal but its out is Thunderbolt, which my laptop does not have a port for. :-(
pesi  
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:32:46 PM(UTC)
pesi

Man
Canada

...and I think I have my solution...
I have an Hdmi expresscard capture card which will go into my second laptop - to capture the Hdmi-out from my main vMix laptop, Will it work? Only a test will tell.
Speegs  
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:16:19 PM(UTC)
Speegs

pesi wrote:
So yes, there is an AC power supply available for atomos devices which takes care of one concern.
Now the only other will be file sizes - I read on an Adobe forum that at the highest res, it swallows up about 100 GB per hour of video!
That would mean a lot of cards for an 8 hour event!

I am looking at getting an Hdmi-in-out device to record to my second laptop - the Blackmagic Mini recorder would have been ideal but its out is Thunderbolt, which my laptop does not have a port for. :-(

Yes they all have an AC Power option, the batteries on the Ninja do not charge inside the unit. It's an external wall charger.

At full quality I can't get enough storage. So I usually don't record at the full quality setting. I go for a 45mbit setting which is sufficient. Many Pros say that is no high enough, but I'm not recording the super bowl.

Top quality video uses really high data rates. There are quite a few settings available on both devices.

I only have 2 x 256GB SDHC cards at the moment. I copy the files to my editing computer and rotate the empty one back in. At the quality I use 512GB does get me through a full day with quite a bit of room to spare.

I used a second computer in the past, guess I just wanted to get some options where a computer was not involved in the capture.

The Ninja Star looks like a good device, I don't use one. I wanted a screen to see what is recording. Long days of the same stuff it's easy to forget to hit record. These devices make it very obvious you are recording :)

The sound guy hits record on the recording monitor (also watches the levels coming out of Vmix). Vmix operator also hits record. I always try to record 2 copies. Lowest Quality is in Vmix. In what I do the video is used to resolve disputes, so having 2 copies is a must. Technically I also have the live stream recorded on Youtube as well, but you can't roll the footage back all the way until Youtube finishes processing.

That might be the actual easiest recording ever, stream to Youtube live it lets you roll back 2-4 hours just by moving the slider. Of course NO INTERNET = NO RECORDING! Hence why I always double record in addition. Yes I have missed hitting record on one and had an Internet issue and the last recording was utilized. Fail-safes are my friend!

Can you have too many backups? I think not really (but you do run out storage). You are never going to capture that live thing ever again, in what I do it's the sale of a horse potentially of a value up to $3M. Telling the owner you didn't capture the sale of their prized horse due to a malfunction isn't a good conversation, or the TV station who wants to show the video of it selling because it just won an important race 3-5 years later. At the time I would have no idea if the horse was a champion to be or not. The next horse being filmed could be Phar Lap and become some kind of legend, or one that never makes it to a racetrack.

On top of all that, Vmix sometimes has to be unattended, which further complicates matters. This is because the operator is also an IT expert fixing everything else. At least the sound guy doesn't run off to fix a printer in the middle of a production. More reason to have the sound guy monitor a recording :) Workflows take time, they can always be improved. All the time I'm working to improve. My workflow is vastly different to most in the forum I'm sure.