logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 10:35:56 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Hi All,

This coming Friday my partner will be interviewing Dr Richard M Stallman, President and founder of the Free Software Foundation.

Getting Dr Stallman to agree to this interview has been...interesting. He insists on only using free software, and not forcing the audience to use non-free software to watch.

He finds a baseline installation of Jitsi Meet an acceptable video conference solution.

The fact that I use vMix is no issue, but we can't use YouTube Live as is our habit. Nor can we use H264.

So, I'm hunting for a streaming solution. Has anyone ever setup to stream using OGG Theora, Daala, VP8 or WebM?

Thanks,
Michael
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:04:45 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Michael

Wowza accepts VP8/VP9 and Vorbis packed in RTMP, RTSP or MPEG/TS. You should be able to use FFMPEG or VLC for live encoding.

Most platforms using Wowza might not accept it btw. And Wowza is not open-source...

Nice challenge... Good luck... A lot of work for not much... Longing for AV1! ;o)

Guillaume

PS: the server/platform is really the problem. I don't know any "free software" only platforms. Kaltura used to be one, long time ago... You can't use open-source version of Mist on a dedicated server as it won't ingest the required codecs...

thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 5/17/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:21:28 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Nimble is proprietary software

Live555 is open source but it's RTSP only (and I wouldn't be confident if I had to use on short notice)
http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/

Red5 is apache licence. I never got it working. Not even sure it could ingest free codecs...
https://github.com/Red5/red5-server

Open source version of Mist is not accepting such codecs...

???

Tough one...
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:37:56 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

WebM is a container so not ok for live streaming. Best thing possible with it: progressive download for VOD from a HTML5 webserver.

Did you consider DASH for delivery? It's better than HLS and open-source. Same specs: chunks for ABR
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:25:37 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

DWAM wrote:
WebM is a container so not ok for live streaming. Best thing possible with it: progressive download for VOD from a HTML5 webserver.

Did you consider DASH for delivery? It's better than HLS and open-source. Same specs: chunks for ABR

We're just now thinking about this. We're trying to leverage some experience/acquaintances in various parts of the open source world to find a solution.

We're consulting with some people at CCC in Germany who have deep experience in this area. Also the folks at May First, who were recommended by Dr. Stallman.

We will have Jitsi Meet connected to an audio conference bridge. That provides a live audio-only participation (SIP or telephone) and a live audio stream. We do that routinely.

Given that time is short, we may end up just using vMix to make a local recording and not stream the video at all.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:10:19 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

The live encoding with VP8/Vorbis is not that difficult using libvpx and libvorbis. Never tried to get as high quality as with H.264/AAC but it should work pretty well. With RTMP protocol, if you can use Wowza it's very doable...
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 4:03:48 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Here's a short update on what we've settled upon using for the discussion with Dr Richard Stallman on May 26th

1. We have NGINX running on a VM along with MOD_RTMP.

2. The virtual webcam in vMix feeds one end of a Jitsi Video Bridge conference. It primarily delivers the program opening sequence.

3. Jitsi Video Bridge will have 5-6 participants connected.

4. OBS Studio captures the JVB monitor, feeding it to the nginx server. It also makes a local recording.

5. Audience who wants to view the stream live will use VLC to connect to the rtmp feed relayed by the nginx server. THE URI (RTMP://BLAH.BLAH) will be on our web site just before the session begins.

6. The Jitsi Video bridge session will also be connected to our usual audio conference, so people can participate via telephone.

It all works reasonably well. The latency incurred by the relay through nginx and mod_rtmp is only a second or two. Much less than the latency typical of using YouTube.

Since the VM is not processing the media, only relaying it, it's CPU load is miniscule.

We had this all ready to go last week, but Dr. Stallman was in a location with poor connectivity. So we rescheduled to this coming Friday when he'll be back at MIT.
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:57:22 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Thanks for the info Michael! And congrats, not an easy solution to set up!

Why don't you build a webpage with an open source player for the viewers? It'd be easier for people to watch your stream, don't you think?

What bitrate will you be streaming at? Enough bandwidth for direct connections to your instance ?

mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 11:46:13 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

DWAM wrote:
Why don't you build a webpage with an open source player for the viewers? It'd be easier for people to watch your stream, don't you think?

Yes, that would be nice. We've not had a chance work out exactly how this would be done. JW Player looks like a possibility, but only the commercial version seems suitable. For a one-time event we're not able to go that route. Dr Stallman insists on OSS licensing for everything we use.

Can you suggest an alternative?

DWAM wrote:
What bitrate will you be streaming at? Enough bandwidth for direct connections to your instance ?

The VM is being handled by one of our team in the UK. I don't think that the nginx/mod_rtmp combination is doing any media processing. If that's true then it will simply relay the stream, which is 720p30 @ 2 mbps.

We only expect about 20-30 live viewers, so it should have adequate bandwidth. It's in a co-location facility in London.

I'll be sending the stream to nginx from my location in Houston. I've noted that 2 mbps is the best I can do without starting to drop frames in OBS. I'm on Comcast business class at 50/10, but I only get a measured 7-8 mbps upload.

JVB is 100% peer-to-peer so it's bandwidth requirements increase with the number of participants in the session.

DWAM  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 2:25:56 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Can you suggest an alternative?

Video.js is a free and open source HTML5 video player.
http://videojs.com/

Projekktor is a self-hosted, open source video (and audio) player for the web, written in Javascript, released under GPLv3.
http://www.projekktor.com/

jPlayer is the completely free and open source (MIT) media library written in JavaScript.
http://www.jplayer.org/

etc...