logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Owensoundstudios  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:31:36 PM(UTC)
Owensoundstudios

Groups: Registered

Adding an iphone on hdmi (via sdi) gives me a protection error. I was all set to use the DJI osmo as a source for a sports event.
ask  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:37:18 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
This may come from your converter. I have the same issue with one particular HDMI-Ethernet-HDMI extender set. One solution is to convert the HDMI signal to component and bring it in to the computer that way. You may just have to try different converters until you find the one that works for you.
Mathijs  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 10:00:24 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
You need to strip the HDCP signal away before converting it to SDI.
I have one of THESE to do that.
These cheap 1x2 splitters do not comply to the HDCP rules. When connected the device thinks it connects to a sink, and the output signal is without HDCP so it can be converted to SDI and ingested.
At first only connect one output to the splitter. If it is giving image on that and you would like to connect something to the second output, that will also work.
Both outputs connected when plugging in the HDCP protested device does not work somehow.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 5:26:36 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I had the same issue trying to capture the output of an Android tablet. What I did to get around it was split the HDMI and feed one leg to a monitor. That satisfies the HDCP handshake. The second leg then fed an HDMI capture card in the vMix host.

I've also used this approach with an iPad.

Michael
Owensoundstudios  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2016 12:04:01 PM(UTC)
Owensoundstudios

Good ideas, but the iphone is on a stick and runs to a batterpowered hdmi-sdi convertor also on the stick and back to vmix. So adding more equipment onto the iphone just simply wont work. Too bad such great software is crippled by this.
ovinas  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2016 12:28:55 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
It has absolutely nothing to do with the software.
Owensoundstudios  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:22:05 PM(UTC)
Owensoundstudios

Are you saying that vmix doesnmt restrict protected content, that it's the capture card doing it?
Mathijs  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:55:58 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
vMix does not restrict protected content. HDCP (High-Bandwith Digital Content Protection) is meant to stop HDCP-encrypted content from being played on unauthorized devices or devices which have been modified to copy HDCP content. It must prevent transmitting high definition protected video to non-HDCP receivers. A capture card or a HDMI to SDI converter is a non-HDCP receiver and exactly the devices that get blocked because you can use them to make a lossless copy of the content, which is exactly what HDCP was made for to prevent!

The hdmi to sdi converter in your setup is where it goes wrong. SDI can not have HDCP so the converter cannot convert the signal. If you would put it directly into a HDMI capture card it will also not work, as the capture card is not allowed to unscramble the hdcp signal, because it is not a sink(single display).

So you should either get rid of the hdcp signal on the iphone, or build something into the stick that does get rid of the HDCP like the splitter I showed you.
There are also HDMI to SDI converters that do not comply with the HDCP rules, but I have no example for you that works guaranteed, as the ones I have that can do this are a few years old aready. Most of the time the ones that can do this are very cheap brandless chinese products.
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 11:19:13 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

As has been noted the HDCP flag is being set by the convertor. It's done in silicon, so not something that the manufacturer of the convertor can control. That's part of the design of HDMI, HDCP, etc.

Defeating HDCP is not easy, nor legal. Satisfying the HDCP handshake is the only practical way to make it work.

Split the HDMI output and run one to a monitor. That satisfies HDCP and you'll have no issues.
mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 5:40:45 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Add this since it didn't get mentioned previously. There are little HDMI plugs that are monitor emulators. Their function is to satisfy the output device that a monitor is connected.

They are often required if you'd like to us a desktop sharing tool, like VNC, to connect to a computer that for practical reasons, doesn't have a monitor physically connected. I'm told that this is dead common with the Mac Mini.

If you're trying to overcome HDCP you can use one of these emulator plugs on one side of the HDMI splitter.