logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:44:55 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I have a Mac Mini running OSX Sierra. I don't use it much. It's largely just a resource for supporting customers who also use OSX.

I was trying to create a screen capture video using NDI Capture to stream the Mac screen to my vMix production PC. The vMix PC is running the latest 19 beta. However, Desktop Capture for OSX keeps crashing on me.

At the physical level I've made certain that I'm using good Cat 6 cable. When I start vMix Desktop Capture (v18.0.0.21) it runs properly for a short while, perhaps 10-15 seconds. Then audio is lost and short thereafter the app collapses.

OSX opens an alert advising that the app quit unexpected. The detailed in the dump are attached.

I not also that when I installed the desktop capture app the system prompted me to install some command line tools. It reported that a process needed to control another process, which required me to grant it access. A screen shot of that message is attached.

UserPostedImage

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Michael
File Attachment(s):
vMix Desktop Capture OSX dump.txt (118kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
livepad  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:13:30 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
I have a Mac Mini running OSX Sierra. I don't use it much. It's largely just a resource for supporting customers who also use OSX.

I was trying to create a screen capture video using NDI Capture to stream the Mac screen to my vMix production PC. The vMix PC is running the latest 19 beta. However, Desktop Capture for OSX keeps crashing on me.

At the physical level I've made certain that I'm using good Cat 6 cable. When I start vMix Desktop Capture (v18.0.0.21) it runs properly for a short while, perhaps 10-15 seconds. Then audio is lost and short thereafter the app collapses.

OSX opens an alert advising that the app quit unexpected. The detailed in the dump are attached.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Michael

It seems to be crashing in the NDI Library Image Resizing Utility. I think we have seen the same crash when we have tested the VMix Desktop Capture App.

We have started to see a similar thing in very new versions of our ScanConverter app.

I have referred it to NewTek for comment.

UPDATE: Looks like there is fix coming. Stay tuned.

UPDATE 2: The crash you have been seeing appears to be limited to a specific window size / shape combinations. In the short term you may be able to avoid it by resizing your windows to a wider rather than taller aspect ratio.

The Sienna NDI ScanConverter app has now been updated with a fixed NDI Library, which completely fixes this issue. Version 2.01 should be available in the App Store in a few days. Meanwhile the demo version has already been updated if you wanted to try it.

Sienna NDI ScanConverter at Sienna.tv

thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
mjgraves on 3/15/2017(UTC)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:41:29 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
livepad wrote:

UPDATE 2: The crash you have been seeing appears to be limited to a specific window size / shape combinations. In the short term you may be able to avoid it by resizing your windows to a wider rather than taller aspect ratio.

The Sienna NDI ScanConverter app has now been updated with a fixed NDI Library, which completely fixes this issue. Version 2.01 should be available in the App Store in a few days. Meanwhile the demo version has already been updated if you wanted to try it.

At first I thought this assertion curious. However, I now see that the app tries to grab & offer all open windows. While I always used the full screen presentation, the presence of any open window that was portait orientation caused the app to crash.
livepad  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:16:06 AM(UTC)
livepad

mjgraves wrote:
livepad wrote:

At first I thought this assertion curious. However, I now see that the app tries to grab & offer all open windows. While I always used the full screen presentation, the presence of any open window that was portait orientation caused the app to crash.

I can confirm that Sienna's NDI ScanConverter v2.01 is now available in the app store and this problem has been resolved.
admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:32:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Just posted an update to vMix Desktop Capture.

http://www.vmix.com/down...desktopcapturemacndi.zip

Should show version 19.0.0.3 when running if it is the latest.
Let me know if this resolves the problem.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
mjgraves on 3/18/2017(UTC)
seb666  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 3:01:43 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I do have the same problems on my Macbook Pro 2016. vMix Desktop Capture is crashing at intervals of some minutes and I also got this strange "Developer Tools Access" popup. I'm using the latest vMix Desktop Capture (19.0.3).
Sienna's NDI ScanConverter doesn't work at all on my system. It worked in an older version some weeks ago, but the latest version 2.10 is crashing not only itself but my whole macOS. Seems it was better to dismiss Retina support...
livepad  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:25:50 PM(UTC)
livepad

seb666 wrote:
I do have the same problems on my Macbook Pro 2016. vMix Desktop Capture is crashing at intervals of some minutes and I also got this strange "Developer Tools Access" popup. I'm using the latest vMix Desktop Capture (19.0.3).
Sienna's NDI ScanConverter doesn't work at all on my system. It worked in an older version some weeks ago, but the latest version 2.10 is crashing not only itself but my whole macOS. Seems it was better to dismiss Retina support...

Hi There.

The new version 2.10 had a change to improve quality in Retina Displays, but ironically broke support for 5K screens.

This has been fixed in the new 2.11 version which is already available

cgarwood  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 2:49:22 PM(UTC)
cgarwood

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:
Just posted an update to vMix Desktop Capture.

http://www.vmix.com/down...desktopcapturemacndi.zip

Should show version 19.0.0.3 when running if it is the latest.
Let me know if this resolves the problem.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

I am seeing the crash still with vMix Desktop Capture 19.0.0.3 if a window is open in portrait orientation.
admin  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 12:17:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Can you provide us with step by step instructions on replicating the crash?
Such as what program to run and how to lay out the window.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
cgarwood  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 9:51:17 PM(UTC)
cgarwood

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
In my case it was a Chrome window in portrait, it would cause the Desktop Capture app to crash within 30 seconds or so. vMix only had an input for Display 2, and the Chrome window was on Display 1. Eventually the app started crashing on every launch, even with no windows open aside from the vMix Desktop Capture window. I didn't do a whole lot of additional troubleshooting, but can do further troubleshooting next week if needed.
nowski  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 20, 2017 8:55:25 AM(UTC)
nowski

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I had similar issues, and just ended up using the Newtek tools NDI scan converter instead. More rock solid for me under OSX el capitan.