logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kruvek  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:02:13 PM(UTC)
kruvek

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm trying to setup my XK-24 to control vMix as my primary controller. I would prefer to use it in the standard production layout with dedicated preview and program buttons for each input, but the XK-24 doesn't give me enough buttons for that. Instead, I'm using the top 4x4 buttons to control the 16 primary inputs I use, with the bottom 2x4 buttons for overlays and transitions. I've got all the shortcuts mapped out and those work perfectly.

The issue I'm running into is that I'd like the Blue LEDs on the top 16 buttons to indicated that the channel is in the Preview, and the Red LEDs to indicate that the channel is in Program. For each button, whichever activator is above the other, it takes priority over the other, and the button only display 1 state, not the other. So if I have the activators for all 16 preview LEDs at the top, the XK-24 will show when the channels are in preview, but not in program. I assume that this is due to the preview activator overriding any other command sent to the same note and channel. Is there any way around this issue? Unfortunately I'm using HD, so scripting is out of the question.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:42:55 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

I'm not familiar with X-Keys devices but I guess they work like other midi controlers.
It's not possible to have 2 different activators for a single button. The first one will always take precedence over the second one. You can verify this by positioning an activator for PGM before the one for PVW. The first one in the activators list is used.

Guillaume
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:48:04 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kruvek

AFAIK, only one activator can be used for each button on a MIDI device.

Ice
kruvek  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:17:56 AM(UTC)
kruvek

OK, good to know, thanks. I should be able to replicate the behavior I want with a fairly simple Max/MSP patch. I'll probably set it up to filter MIDI messages to assign all the Blue LEDs to one channel, and the Red LEDs to another, and the patch will handle setting each button to Red/Blue/Purple.

-kruvek
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:14:37 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kruvek

Personally, given the scenario, I would forgo the desire to see what is in PREVIEW and focus on the Red LEDs to indicate what is in PROGRAM, or reduce your controller to only 8 Inputs (as per MultiView 'Fullscreen') and have two corresponding busses (2x4), one for PROGRAM (Red LEDs) and one for PREVIEW (Blue LEDs, preferably Green but whatever).
Of course, with vMix the beauty is that you can customize your controller (with above stated limitations) to accommodate your own workflow, so if you can get that to work for you, go for it!
Keep us posted as to how you make out.

Ice
kruvek  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:13:21 PM(UTC)
kruvek

Ugh... So I finally managed to bring the XK-24 home, and try to use it with Max. Unfortunately, the XK-24 is NOT a MIDI device. Of all the amazing things you can do with an X-Keys device, outputting MIDI is not one of them.

Instead, vMix just displays X-Keys inputs as MIDI, despite the fact that they're just polling the HID values right off of the device. So, an X-Key's inability to assign more than one activator to a button LED is entirely within vMix's ballpark, since they're doing all the fancy HID polling, and making it just look like a MIDI device.

However, you can change the USB endpoints of an X-Keys device (using MacroWorks 3.1) so that it installs as an HID Joystick device in Windows. I'm able to select the XK-24 in Max as a Joystick device, but I'm not receiving any data from it. Additionally, in the Window's Game Controller settings, none of the 46 joystick buttons that the XK-24 indicates it has light up when I press them. I'll have to keep fiddling with it.

Ironically, when my XK-24 is set to a Joystick endpoint, it no longer communicates to vMix as an X-Keys device, and none of my shortcuts or activators work.

I'm also heading over to the Feature Requests forum to request that vMix add the ability to assign Activators to individual LEDs on X-Keys devices.
kruvek  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:50:16 PM(UTC)
kruvek

Ok, I'm able to get Max to communicate with the XK-24. I had to set the PID/Endpoint to 1027, which is the PID that supports Joystick functions. Then I had to set the individual buttons on the XK-24 to Game Buttons in MacroWorks, and write it to the device. Then Max was able to see the button presses.

Unfortunately, Max is only able to read HID device data, not write to it. So that's unfortunately a dead end.

However, with some experimenting in vMix, I'm able to trigger both Blue and Red LEDs individually with Activators! The XK-24 in PID 1027 shows up as a generic Joystick device in vMix, so I'll have to setup the LED mappings manually as "Button LEDs", but it does appear to work in the way that I want. I'll just have to figure out the LED mappings by trial and error.
kruvek  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:08:42 AM(UTC)
kruvek

Here are my findings for manually controlling my XK-24 in vMix:

I used MacroWorks 3.1 to set the USB endpoint of my XK-24 to PID 1027, which enables Joystick button macros.
I then setup each button in MacroWorks to trigger a Game Device button macro. Make sure you set up each key to trigger both the button on, and button off events for each Game Device button.
In vMix, I set my shortcuts the same way as before, using the "Find" feature and pressing a key on the X-Keys. Note that it now displays the device as a Jostick, not an X-Keys device.

To set the Activators, use the table below to set the "Note" values for each button. The first value is the note address for the Blue LED, and the second is for the Red LED. Note that the "Find" feature for activators will not find the correct button LED address, you must enter it manually.

UserPostedImage

The addresses for Rows 7 and 8 did not activate LEDs, it seems reasonable to assume that they may be used in larger X-Keys controllers. After Note Address 63, it repeats the entire sequence of button LEDs all over again. So it's possible that you may be able to use the higher set of addresses for additional Activators per LED (Purple status indicators, for example). I still have to test that.

At this point I've pretty much gotten my XK-24 to react in the way that I originally wanted in my OP. However I'm having some issues with activators not triggering on Overlays. I'll see about recording a video stepping through this process.
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:17:39 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
However I'm having some issues with activators not triggering on Overlays

please support this feature request if you want to see activators for this:
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9620

Congrats for your work
Guillaume
kruvek  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:24:05 AM(UTC)
kruvek

DWAM wrote:
please support this feature request if you want to see activators for this:
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9620

Indeed, that would be useful. And thanks for posting that, now I know not to bother trying to do that. However, the activator I was referring to was just the generic "Overlay1 -> Active" activator, which I had working on my XK-24 previously, but have not gotten it to work on the modified XK-24.
DWAM  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:40:47 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

you've got 4 events for this: overlay1 to 4