logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mmmorlandotv  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:49:10 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So in my search for a good mobile solution, I decided that the Magewell SDI-USB3.0 capture device would be my best bet.

I was very surprised to find out though that it's an asian product but so highly regarded. Not even their website gave me much confidence but hey, everyone says theyre great!

Anyway, so I started my search to find the lowest price. Ebay came up and while looking at Magewells I ran across what appears to be a cheap knockoff. But specs are basically identical.

What I hate about the Magewell is the MCX connection. The mini SDI apparently seems to be the only "con" about the device. And on their website, I can find a Part # for the cable but cant find how to order it. Anyway...

This cheap knock off seems identical in specs and already has the full sized BNC connection. For 1/2 the price. And not just 1/2 the price..."best offer" price too lol

I was able to find a used Magewell for $150 so I went ahead with that but now I'm curious if anyone has used the cheap knock off and what their experience was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...0ecb3:g:P7kAAOSwx2dYEF45
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:52:35 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have one of the Chinese hdmi knock-offs. Last summer I tried to use it outdoors and it would overheat and lockup. Over the winter, I added some silicon heat transfer tape to the inside of the case and some heat sinks to the outside of the case. I will test it in a couple of weeks, but not on the critical parts of my production.
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:53:21 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
would love to see a photo of your modifications...
stefan
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:29:39 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
mmmorlandotv wrote:
The mini SDI that apparently seems to be the only "con" about the device. And on their website, I can find a Part # for the cable but cant find how to order it.

You're right, the SDI adapter cable is not the most popular feature and some people are worried by the thought of it getting damaged. I've been selling these for the past three years and although I keep a few spare adapter cables I don't recall anyone actually needing one. I did look into finding alternatives and bought a few MCX-BNC cables on ebay (from China), not as nice as the originals but they're fine as spares.
mmmorlandotv  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:01:08 AM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

zenvideo wrote:
mmmorlandotv wrote:
The mini SDI that apparently seems to be the only "con" about the device. And on their website, I can find a Part # for the cable but cant find how to order it.

You're right, the SDI adapter cable is not the most popular feature and some people are worried by the thought of it getting damaged. I've been selling these for the past three years and although I keep a few spare adapter cables I don't recall anyone actually needing one. I did look into finding alternatives and bought a few MCX-BNC cables on ebay (from China), not as nice as the originals but they're fine as spares.

Im waiting for mine to come in to measure.

On Amazon I found a MCX to BNC adapters. Basically the cable/adapter the Magewell comes with, but without the extra cabling.

If I can find one that will fit well enough, I might try and build some kind of casing for the front that will hold firmly in place the adapter so its just a female BNC tip without the extra cabling hanging out.

Id really like to know about the above users mods though.

Again, the knock off seems to have the same specs as the Magewell. And after finding out that Magewell is chinese as well, I'm wondering if theyre all using the same boards inside...If so, well $150 > $300 lol
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:46:51 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
IceStream on 5/11/2017(UTC)
zenvideo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:29:08 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
mmmorlandotv wrote:
And after finding out that Magewell is chinese as well, I'm wondering if they're all using the same boards inside...If so, well $150 > $300 lol

I can tell you they're not. Magewell had their first USB3 HD capture dongle in 2013, and are suffering the same fate as other non-Chinese companies elsewhere in the world, in having their products copied by less scrupulous companies elsewhere in China. At least being in the same country makes it slightly easier to for them to take legal action against the copiers but, like everywhere else, it takes time...
mmmorlandotv  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:56:13 PM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

Kelvin wrote:
I have one of the Chinese hdmi knock-offs. Last summer I tried to use it outdoors and it would overheat and lockup. Over the winter, I added some silicon heat transfer tape to the inside of the case and some heat sinks to the outside of the case. I will test it in a couple of weeks, but not on the critical parts of my production.

How was the video encoding quality?

How was the USB 3.0 connection? Latency? Lags of any kind?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:55:40 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Quote:
And after finding out that Magewell is chinese as well, I'm wondering if they're all using the same boards inside...If so, well $150 > $300 lol

Be cautious in buying some of the Magewell knock-offs. I have one of the knock-off HDMI units. It's mostly good for a paperweight.

One time, it will work. Then it won't work the next time, same HMDI cable (that works fine other devices). I've even had it work, then minutes later it stops functioning.

I have a Magewell USB. It's works every time.

You get what you pay for. Spend the extra money get a Magewell, Inogeni, AJA, etc.
mmmorlandotv  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 9:13:09 AM(UTC)
mmmorlandotv

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Quote:

Be cautious in buying some of the Magewell knock-offs. I have one of the knock-off HDMI units. It's mostly good for a paperweight.

One time, it will work. Then it won't work the next time, same HMDI cable (that works fine other devices). I've even had it work, then minutes later it stops functioning.

I have a Magewell USB. It's works every time.

You get what you pay for. Spend the extra money get a Magewell, Inogeni, AJA, etc.

Ahh, too bad. Would have been a great alternative.

Oh well!