logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mathijs  
#21 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:08:43 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I have just uninstalled desktop video 10.8.4 and installed 10.8.5 and that actually fixed my card!
So let's hope this is not a problem anymore in the future. I would not exchange your cards yet for duo's.

I do not have the problem you describe DWAM, what version do you run? Last driver is from last monday.
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 3/5/2017(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#22 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:36:50 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hoi Matthijs,

also see my other threat https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9594

about this update. be aware you download is from after march 3 because i had an issue using it with tb3, they fixed it but no new version number.

aparently the memory issue is fixed. have to test it with my bm duo 2 and akitio but no time yet.

these updates and issues consume way too much time, its a risk and it is annoying. good we have this forum to inform each other, but also post issues on the bm fora and send your complaints ti bm emea.

if bm wants to issue new products and drivers they better be sure the work or fix it with highest priority.

greetings,
stefan
Mathijs  
#23 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:02:52 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Hi Stefan,

I did post it on their forum, but because being banned twice there in the past for not wanting to use my whole name and being too direct or skeptical or who knows what I dropped on Terry's dick, I do not go there often. Most of the time when I need BMD info, I go find it at atemuser.com, which has more experienced members anyways.

Quite bad of BMD to give the fix the same name after distributing a file with a problem first. They should have given it a .1 at the end so people who already downloaded the bad version can see they are different and which is which.

But after all, I'm quite happy at the moment. Last time this happened, I tried everything there was to try, after that mailed BMD which immediately responded I should send it back.
Had to miss it for 2 weeks and got a new card.
Now it's half on strike came back to work and I don't have to swap out cards for my job next monday, saving me precious weekend hours.
Bobartt  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:22:21 AM(UTC)
Bobartt

Hi Guys, newbie on this forum. Thought I could chime in on this topic.

I'm on the brink of purchasing vMix and using the Blackmagic Decklink Quad 2 with it. I happen to own other blackmagic gear, and from the inception, I got quite confused and almost returned them.

But here's what I learned. ALL BLACKMAGIC DECKLINK PRODUCTS ARE NOT PLUG-n-PLAY. You have to configure them through their 'Desktop Video Software' utility in order to use them successfully.
The Quad 2 in question is quite tricky but very good when configured properly. Half of it's connectors share bandwidth with the other half; but it is an option that must be selected in the utility. For an example, if each of the sdi connectors 1 to 4 are mapped to multiple sdi connector outputs(on the same card), their shared bandwith connectors of 5 - 8 will AUTOMATICALLY be set to "NONE", because the shared connectors are being used. This will result in no video on those outputs.

However, there is another option in the software that allows you to map individual connectors as individual outputs, so as to achieve 8 individual signals (Wow, this is the most I have used "individual" in a sentence-phew). It is highly unusual to have ordered 4 faulty cards successfully, as the OP stated - no pun intended.

It's all in the manual -bro. Let's give it a shot before knocking down this wonderful piece of hardware.
admin  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:46:34 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Bobartt,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your input.

In this instance it is not a case of configuring the Quad 2 as there is a known issue where 4 channels will dissapear
and all 8 inputs will no longer appear in the Blackmagic control panel at all or in the media express software.

Blackmagic have advised the only fix when this happens is to return the card under warranty.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
h2video.nl  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 12:41:36 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

does anybody know or have experience with turning inputs on and off and on again on a bmd duo2.

I see both 1 and 2 inpuot but the 3 and 4 are grayed out. with the control software i am able to set output configuration, but I don t know how I turn the out put off and open the input.

maybe it is something vmix must do but when i input nr 3 vmix returns an error, there is no active input.

in the bmd capture software the inputs 3 and 4 are grayed out.

the sdi inputs work when i input them on 1 or 2.

this is driving me crazy, because in the office it works and when i arrive at the recording site, bmd starts to reinstall the card etc etc and only 1 and 2 the main inputs are visibele.

using bmd decklink duo 2 in thunderolt3 with akitio.

Richard ? any thoughts.?

my aim is to have it work and as reliable as a hardware mixer but this is not what i want, unpredictable.

stefan
DWAM  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 3:13:05 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Stefan

unless you have a bad card (this is an option), I'd say it's certainly related to the Akitio box.

Do you have a desktop computer where you can try out this card to check if it has the same behaviour when not used with TB3?

When do you plug the thunderbolt device? When the laptop is off or on? Did you try this?
h2video.nl  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:08:25 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

ok so I guess it is defenately important to have the akitio connected thruogh tb3 before start up of the laptop or anything.

now its fine again. I guess I have a little bit different routine on site than in the office and hot plugged the akitio. it works, but not on full capacity.

card is working fine... just uploaded my recordings of yesterday on www.watertv.nl and the recordings on both systems are about 45 gb each. transferring the files on a portable hss usb3 i noticed the same thing: transfer is about 10mb/s hot plugged but 100mb/s when the laptop (msi reference) is started up with the usb3 drive connected.

so hot plugging and performance are two things un equal performance wise....

greetz stefan
sinc747  
#29 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 2:53:58 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Wondering if anyone has had success getting the quad 2 to work after it loses 4 ports with the bad firmware update?

- Tom
pba  
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:12:00 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I'm also interested about this firmware update problem. I would like to buy Decklin Quad 2 if this problem is solved now. I didn't find any info about this.
PrepSpin  
#31 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 10:44:36 PM(UTC)
PrepSpin

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Decklink Duo 2 works great for those who are interested. I have two of them in separate machines.
thanks 1 user thanked PrepSpin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 4/10/2017(UTC)
mortengrundtvig  
#32 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:10:56 AM(UTC)
mortengrundtvig

I had the same problem after upgrading to the latest firmware.

I found that the only thing I had to do to enable them again was to go into Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup. Go into SDI Decklink Quad (5-8) and change connector mapping

After that all 8 ports was working for me again

Mathijs  
#33 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:26:44 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has had success getting the quad 2 to work after it loses 4 ports with the bad firmware update?

Yes, with latest desktop video version I got the 4 channels that disappeared back to work.
I'm not claiming this problem is now solved, because BMD has not communicated in their changelog that they fixed it.
But it does proof that it is no irreversible hardware failure and I have good hopes that it is resolved.
sinc747  
#34 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 5:55:07 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

I'm RMAing a Quad 2 that bricked itself when it spontaneously wanted to do a "software upgrade" last week. After a long call to BMD where they claimed to have no record of this type of problem with the Quad 2, they agreed to send me another overnight so I could make a deadline. I pay the $40 overnight charge and return the bad card at my expense.

NOTE: When using the BMD Video Utility to access this Quad 2, the utility said no device was found. So, there was no way to simply reconfigure. Downgrading to BMD version from 10.8.5 to 10.8.4 and then to 10.7, I could not revive the card.

Now I see that, as of two days ago (4/13/17), BMD released 10.8.6 which purports to "Fix intermittent device detection issue." Maybe that's what the problem was. So, before I send this RMA Quad 2 back, I'll test it with 10.8.6 and post my findings. Hopefully this will fix the issue with the Quad 2 and restore my faith.

- Tom

BTW, when I installed my new Quad 2 and it wanted to do a "software upgrade" I simply said, "No," and then disabled BMD Updater in Task Manager so it would not ask again.
admin  
#35 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 8:39:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

There are two separate issues here, so it can be a bit confusing, hopefully the following helps:

1. After a driver update, all 8 ports show up in Media Express / vMix but only 4 can be used.
FIX: Reconfigure the ports as per below as a recent driver update may reset them:
http://www.vmix.com/know...k-quad2-to-be-8-channels

2. After a driver update, all ports missing in Blackmagic Control Panel, 4 missing in vMix and device manager.
FIX: Return card to BMD under RMA. Install 10.8.6 for replacement card as we have been advised this should fix further firmware issues.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 4/17/2017(UTC)
Mathijs  
#36 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 9:11:22 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

I would advice in case 2, to first install 10.8.6 and see if the card comes back to full functionality, as mine did.
If not, you can always RMA it.
sinc747  
#37 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 11:56:23 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

I updated my drivers to 10.8.6 and then inserted my "bad" Quad 2. This is the card that was not identified by Windows Device Manager or BMD Video Utility (10.8.5, 10.8.4 or 10.7). I was getting excited thinking this will "un-brick" the card and the new (10.8.6) driver would be the silver bullet.

No luck. Card was still not recognized. Back it goes to BMD tomorrow.

They key seems to be not to allow the automatic software update to take place the very first time the card is installed. And disable the BMD Updater in Task Manager.

- Tom
Mathijs  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:25:16 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Quote:
They key seems to be not to allow the automatic software update to take place the very first time the card is installed.

That can indeed be the case, I did deny that every time it asked me to because it was displaying the wrong product anyway, so that could not be good.
But when denying the auto-update to happen, it still broke 4 channels on the card and made it not appear in the BMD utility. That behaviour can be fixed without shipping it back to BMD by installing 10.8.6.
If users have systems that still use older desktop video drivers, I would remove the Decklink Quad 2 from the system, uninstall Desktop Video, Install 10.8.6, reboot the machine, shut it down again and put the card back in.
That way the chances of anything bad happening are the smallest.