logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jet  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:25:53 AM(UTC)
jet

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I did put the firmata software to my Arduino clone (RoMeo V2[R3]), but vMix still can't connect to it. I have the correct COM port selected, the same I used to put the firmata software in.

Vmix just says "ConnectError".

Kind regards,
J. Tervo
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:33:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

vMix just uses the standard firmata protocol so it should work if it is handling the firmata commands correctly.
Try the firmata test program to make sure everything is working first:

http://firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page

Regards,

Martin
vMix
jet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:22:03 AM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi.

This was some kind of compatibility problem.

It works fine on Arduino Uno R3.

Kind regards,
J. Tervo

daniel514  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:56:52 PM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I am new to Arduino... took me some time to figure what is firmata... got it uploaded to my clone UNO R3 and it works!

UserPostedImage
admin wrote:
Hi,

vMix just uses the standard firmata protocol so it should work if it is handling the firmata commands correctly.
Try the firmata test program to make sure everything is working first:

http://firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page

Regards,

Martin
vMix
artciukas  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:33:43 AM(UTC)
artciukas

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hallo,

I making arduino thally light. Tested with firmata test soft work fine, but then i testing with vmix it's work but led not on just blink then switching sources.
Maybe anyone have ideas to fix it?

jens  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 7:40:01 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi there,

starting with vmix a couple of days ago, today the first time with arduino uno hooked up.

The arduino is connected to a 8 channel relais board, works but is kind of reverted: A input which is "On-Air" means the pin on arduino is "High", which turn´s the relais to "Open" state, while all other relais are "Closed" due to the arduino pins "Low".... Hope everybody gets me there. Still useable ´cause relais have both open/close contacts. But it would be nice to have these behaviour inverted, so that there´s only the one relais "On" while all others are off due to lifetime/power draw of the board.

It seems like the "High" "Low" is hardcode somewhere in vmix, as i tried a bit with the firmata standard protocol, but no luck.

Another think with tally in Generell: If I send a channel which has a tally out programm to an overlay - it does not fire up the tally contact on the arduino. But that´s it works in classic video switcher - so should be the same on vmix.
I know it works if you set up multiview, but I need to adjust the camera which goes to an overlay on the fly - and need tally information.

Cheers

Jens
daniel514  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 9:08:16 AM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

jens wrote:
Hi there,

starting with vmix a couple of days ago, today the first time with arduino uno hooked up.

The arduino is connected to a 8 channel relais board, works but is kind of reverted: A input which is "On-Air" means the pin on arduino is "High", which turn´s the relais to "Open" state, while all other relais are "Closed" due to the arduino pins "Low".... Hope everybody gets me there. Still useable ´cause relais have both open/close contacts. But it would be nice to have these behaviour inverted, so that there´s only the one relais "On" while all others are off due to lifetime/power draw of the board.

It seems like the "High" "Low" is hardcode somewhere in vmix, as i tried a bit with the firmata standard protocol, but no luck.

Another think with tally in Generell: If I send a channel which has a tally out programm to an overlay - it does not fire up the tally contact on the arduino. But that´s it works in classic video switcher - so should be the same on vmix.
I know it works if you set up multiview, but I need to adjust the camera which goes to an overlay on the fly - and need tally information.

Cheers

Jens

You lost me there!
yes "On-Air" means the pin on arduino is "High" it trigger your relay giving current to your light!... logic is respected!

About multiview, it's working for me.... don't put tally on multivew composition, i use a color as base and ad cameras as multivew inputs, any camera i ad if tally configured on it is triggered when multiview is on air!

I home it helps.

jens  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 11:40:36 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

First the "High" and "Low" problem:
I have all relais triggered - expect the one which is "On Air". I can use the toggle output of the relais, but I would prefer to only trigger the relais which is "On Air" and not vie versa.

Yes, Multiviewer works with tally. But I would need it not on multivewer, but on Overlay. So putting Input (Camera) 1 on Overlay 1 (which is configured to be a small PiP) - I would need the tally out for that Camera triggered.
So you can easily mix your normal programm, once put one camera to overlay 1, and even switch the camera which sits in the overlay 1 while maintaining tally out for the operator.

But there´s no chance or do I miss something in configuration.

Cheers

Jens

daniel514  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 11:51:42 AM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

jens wrote:
First the "High" and "Low" problem:
I have all relais triggered - expect the one which is "On Air". I can use the toggle output of the relais, but I would prefer to only trigger the relais which is "On Air" and not vie versa.

Yes, Multiviewer works with tally. But I would need it not on multivewer, but on Overlay. So putting Input (Camera) 1 on Overlay 1 (which is configured to be a small PiP) - I would need the tally out for that Camera triggered.
So you can easily mix your normal programm, once put one camera to overlay 1, and even switch the camera which sits in the overlay 1 while maintaining tally out for the operator.

But there´s no chance or do I miss something in configuration.

Cheers

Jens

Wich relay module you use? it's not normal behavior!
Ok... its "normal" but not what i would have expected! as seen on this drawing they use a transistor to boost current to relay!
RELAY
You have to insert a transistor to inverse logic...
Look at inverter as explained there: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/transistors
UserPostedImage
PS i am not electronic engineer!!! jus having fun with it... i may be wrong!... i am probably wrong!

Why do you need relay? arduino drive 50mA per channel, good enought for a few LEDs, i work on a high-side switching circuit based on udn2981 with 500mA Output Source Current Capability... my test on breadboard are good!

You are right about overlay! it not triggering tally!
jens  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 12:41:05 PM(UTC)
jens

Man

Hi Daniel,

just ordered from ebay, some china stuff I guess, no names on the PCB. I don´t even have a link or manual.
Anyway, need to interface to broadcast cameras, so I´ll need closed contact for that. Not really needing relais, but the whole PCB was cheaper than soldering that on my own..... :-)

So thanks for conforming that overlays do not fire up the tally. Maybe Martin can have a look on that.

Cheers

Jens

spino  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:38:39 AM(UTC)
spino

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have the same problem. If I connect Vmix directly to the leds (through Arduino of course with Standard Firmata loaded), everything works perfect: when Arduino receives status HIGH, the led is turned on and when receives LOW, the led is turned off. The problem is if you use some relays. These boards work at opposite to protect Arduino itself; it means that when Arduino receives HIGH, the relay is off and when it receives LOW the relay is turned on. I made a lot of tests on Firmata code but no solution I found. I think that the only possible solution is to add a toggle button in settings input/tally lights to choose the output message (straight or reverse). I know this means to change the code in Vmix but I think this a good option because the light on the camera requires more than 5Volts to be seen and a relay is needed.
spino  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:56:01 AM(UTC)
spino

Man
Italy

YYYEEEESSSS. I found the solution. After an hard work, I found the solution to invert commands. I loaded simpledigitalfirmata and I changed a little the code. I've no time now but if you want i'LL explain.
spino  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2017 10:42:36 AM(UTC)
spino

Man
Italy

To use relays with Arduino in Tally light you must invert status High with status Low.
To do that in Standard Firmata, you must change the function: writePort(port, (byte)value, pinWriteMask); with this: writePort(port, ((byte)value)^0xFF, pinWriteMask); (the bit are inverted with XOR).

By the way, I still have a problem with Arduino Mega and Tally Lights. I had a support by Martin but even if sometime Arduino Mega is connected (not every time) there isn't any status in the pins; in other words it doesn' switch anything.
LulaNord  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:05:17 PM(UTC)
LulaNord

Hi...i am new here. As per my knowledge Versions of arduino previous to 0022 have a baud rate error on Uno which corrupts communication. The Firmata Test program can open the serial port, and the receive counter at the bottom of the windows keeps increasing, but nothing works. If you're having this problem, you can fix it by just upgrading to a recent Arduino software version.

pcb assembly
viya0414  
#15 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:22:27 PM(UTC)
viya0414

This was some kind of compatibility problem. It works fine on Arduino Uno R3.

PCBA Assembly Services