logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:51:58 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
It would be great to have the option to record a 'clean mix' of the program next to a mix with graphics. This is often requested and now requires third party tools running alongside vmix. Being able to record the program 'clean' in a multicorder would also be an option.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:28:54 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
You can do that already with External2 unticking the overlays

Besides, multicorder records inputs

Did you read the documentation and try to experiment before asking ?
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
stigaard on 2/15/2017(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:51:25 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

We now do it using external 2 and using external software, so yes, I read the documentation and experiment.

As far as I can see though, the multicorder does NOT allow to record the program monitor without overlays, there is only one way to record the program monitor which only allows to record with OR without overlays. If you need both recordings, you're out of luck. Since I'm more a fan of integrated solutions, then using all kinds of third party tools (makes it harder to monitor and debug in case of trouble) is not ideal. Being able to duo record from whithin vmix would be ideal.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:14:11 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Maybe you simply need to redesign your workflow over 2 vMix instead of expecting a single vMix to be a double one.

What you request here is possible with a Tricaster (I guess) which costs at least 10 times more (without all options)...
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:52:43 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

It's not that it can't handle it, since the option to remove overlays is already there, and secondary recordings can be made using the multiplayer. Now it's a matter of combining those 2 things I suppose.

I'm posting this to make vmix work better out of the box. We recently had a lot of jobs, and I noted down all things which could be better. Therefore it's not the most urgent request, but if it's not a huge coding job and he likes it, Martin could choose perhaps to implement it, or not. The 6 channels audio recording request I made is really urgent and important for me, this one is more for ergonomics and faster setting up.

If you read my posts, you will see we now sometimes use dual machines for important jobs. Still, we sometimes get this question for small or fast jobs (like press conferences, small conferences, parties,..)as well, where setting up dual systems is not an option or simply too much work or when things have to go fast (only being allowed in the venue one hour before the show, or having multiple jobs in a row for example).

I do focus a lot on ergonomics nowadays, because we work more and more with freelancers nowadays. I can quickly explain them how vmix works in a few days or hours, but not train them in depth. Since we are looking into an agenda with triple bookings and a 7/7 schedule for the summer, ergonomics of the software are more important, where people don't have to study fully on the subject in order to get things done when I'm not present to help them out. I know you and me and many others here can hack our way to almost any solution, but I'm happy not everyone is like that, otherwhise I would have a lot of competitors. Having an easy solution which is easy to be find, might help in that.

Mathijs  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 4:55:51 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
+1

It is a feature request DWAM, nothing more, so let's keep it sounding friendly here. I would like more recording options anyway, to be able to record one high quality recording for editing, but also a h.264 that would fit on a usb stick and would play anywhere that I can give to the client so they can spot cues etc for the editing. If that extra recording option would also have the option to select clean feed, so everyone can use the possibility to their own workflow, it would uplift vMix from a great to a even greater product.
thanks 3 users thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 2/15/2017(UTC), pba on 2/15/2017(UTC), niemi on 2/27/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:16:15 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Sorry if I sounded unfriendly

However with GPU encoding limited to 2 concurrent processes and CPU obvious limitations, I just wanted to explain that sometimes when the task list is getting longer, the easiest (and most logical) solution is to add more equipments to do the job.

To me, vMix is mainly a Software Video Mixer and Switcher (with great recording and streaming abilities). Like an ATEMTS. They cost roughly the same price. However, when we compare the features list of both products, we realize that Vmix is already giving us so much more for the same money that sometimes I wonder how it is possible and truly I'm really thankful for that. And when I try to find another switching solution with such features as vMix, I realize it requires at least a 5 digit check.
I also very frequently work for traditional video production companies that do not use computer-based solutions and need a 10 men crew and a truck to do half of what I can do alone with 2 computers and vMix. They're still repaying a loan every month for outdated and tired equipments and best of all, they need me as soon as IP is required in the workflow which is more and more often.

So yes, I guess vMix could maybe do more... But I could also buy a Tricaster or a V-1200HD or simply a 8 channel audio recorder along with de-embedders, especially if it is a common request from my customers... And if I ever have to setup a complex workflow in one hour with unexperimented guys, I don't say to myself vMix should give me twice more for the same money and make it possible when maybe the real problem is my negociation with the client considering the state of things. We cannot have our cake and eat it.

So again, no offense here, just my point of view, not really concerning the feature request itself but rather the motivations behind it.

Guillaume
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:21:25 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
I would like to be able to record one high quality recording for editing, but also a h.264 that would fit on a usb stick and would play anywhere that I can give to the client so they can spot cues etc for the editing. If that extra recording option would also have the option to select clean feed, so everyone can use the possibility to their own workflow, it would uplift vMix from a great to a even greater product.

AFAIK we can already do that, Mathijs, at least with 4K or Pro versions.
Mathijs  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:48:50 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
It does not matter what costs what, vMix gives a lot of power for the money, which we all are very happy about. And vMix is still evolving, each time with major upgrades we get more greatness for the same money.
On the vMix forum, there is a special place for Feature Requests. Out of these requests, Martin picks some that are beneficial to most users, and can be done without eating up too much resources at the same time and implements them on future versions.
So free for everyone to ask for features they would like is what I would say.
Lots of times there are requests that can already be done in vMix, which is most of the time told straight away to the OP. Those requests also serve a purpose in my opinion. They educate people looking for the functionality and about how to get certain results.

In the other cases you can either be supportive or not. But telling the OP to RTFM and just get more systems, while it is just a valid request, does not sound nice to me. Especially when you do this twice within short time on 2 post done by the same user, which I happen to know personally and in my opinion is an advanced vMix user.
After you saying you didn't mean to sound like that, of course it can also be me seeing this wrong, in which case you get my apologies. But when you look back at your posts and see the difference how you say you meant them and how it could be read and interpreted by someone else, in the future I would say use lots of happy smileys. ;)
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 2/16/2017(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:25:45 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
+1 (or rather a separate recorder for Fullscreen2/External2).

AFAIK vMix can currently only record one produced stream (Output w/o overlays). Multicorder captures "capture inputs".
As discussed above there are a number of workarounds if one wants a clean feed. I can add:
- recording externally from Fullscreen2/External2 (eq vith and Atomos or Blackmagic device)
- recording External2 via NDI (eg Newtek's NDI IsoCorder).

But I agree with Ittaidv (and Mathijs I guess), "make vmix work better out of the box". Since there are workarounds, this feature is not a top priority for me either, but boy - it would be nice.
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:38:51 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
what I sometimes do is mix a clean mix and record it and output it to a second machine where I put the overlays, sometimes even two machines where i loop through the clean output to two streaming machines with different overlays tickers etc. p.e. when streaming two languages.

this way i have a clean mix recorded for post and the streaming machines as a recorded backup.

the master in this case had a mic in english and dutch language left right, produced to output in two languages.

you only need a basic hd vimix on the receiving computer and you have a multitude of options.

I have pointed out before and made some request to be able to seperate overlays on streaming and recording. this is now one and the same setting.

then i would be able to record the clean mix and stream with the overlay ( i dont need the ticker on the recording ).

Is this an option?

stefan

by the way - that particular recording also had two sets of powerpoints prepared nl and english, but only the master was projected. I was not able to record two powerpoints at the same time, but now I can!!!

I purchased a real powerpoint presenter from interspace industries, the same as used in TED. that set can connect to two laptops or computers and advance at the same time both powerpoints, i could then record both on the two streaming laptops with two different desktop ndi captures.

what a joy it is to work with vmix and be completely surrounded with vmix machines silently and effectively doing their perfect work, all the screens advancing, cameras running and nobody noticing what cutting edge technology really is... the only one with wet eyes is me....
thinkcustom  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:48:34 PM(UTC)
thinkcustom

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1
For adding a clean output option.

Using a second Vmix computer would allow for a clean mix.
Vmix computer 1 (mixing all camera feeds and videos, recording)
Vmix Computer 2 (using output from computer 1 adds all overlays and provides live-streaming)

Now you have to provide an extra staff/volunteer to operate the second computer and the additional physical space plus the costs involved. Simple operation is better then complex controls. The less equipment you have in the chain of operation the less there is to go wrong and the easier it is to trouble shoot. And not everyone has the room for a second computer operator or if you are a one-man show it's not an option.

Also what if the Venue you are providing live-streaming for would like to use your camera output on their big screens. Being able to give them a clean output with a simple settings adjustment would add a lot of value to your production company.

My scenario is this: I would like to provide a clean feed to the screens in our sanctuary and an overflow room. Having overlays/lower-thirds would be redundant and/or distracting. As well as having a clean recording to use in our weekly TV program would speed up my editing time from having to recut all the camera transitions.

Fullscreen/External source menu (with NDI option) could look something like this.
Output
Output(Clean)
Preview
MultiView
Input1
Input.....
Ittaidv  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:58:43 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

thinkcustom wrote:
+1
For adding a clean output option.

Using a second Vmix computer would allow for a clean mix.
Vmix computer 1 (mixing all camera feeds and videos, recording)
Vmix Computer 2 (using output from computer 1 adds all overlays and provides live-streaming)

Now you have to provide an extra staff/volunteer to operate the second computer and the additional physical space plus the costs involved. Simple operation is better then complex controls. The less equipment you have in the chain of operation the less there is to go wrong and the easier it is to trouble shoot. And not everyone has the room for a second computer operator or if you are a one-man show it's not an option.

Also what if the Venue you are providing live-streaming for would like to use your camera output on their big screens. Being able to give them a clean output with a simple settings adjustment would add a lot of value to your production company.

My scenario is this: I would like to provide a clean feed to the screens in our sanctuary and an overflow room. Having overlays/lower-thirds would be redundant and/or distracting. As well as having a clean recording to use in our weekly TV program would speed up my editing time from having to recut all the camera transitions.

Fullscreen/External source menu (with NDI option) could look something like this.
Output
Output(Clean)
Preview
MultiView
Input1
Input.....

You can already provide a clean output: in settings go to outputs, and untick the overlays on your external 2 output. This feature is available in our 4k license.

What is asked is to have the option to record this clean output on the same computer. Now we need to use the external 2 with this setting, and record in another software or on another computer with vmix. Other software which records 6 channels of audio is rare, so the solution is another pc, or a hardware device like an AJA or Blackmagic recorder.

thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
thinkcustom on 2/24/2017(UTC)
thinkcustom  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 11:28:18 PM(UTC)
thinkcustom

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:

You can already provide a clean output: in settings go to outputs, and untick the overlays on your external 2 output. This feature is available in our 4k license.

What is asked is to have the option to record this clean output on the same computer. Now we need to use the external 2 with this setting, and record in another software or on another computer with vmix. Other software which records 6 channels of audio is rare, so the solution is another pc, or a hardware device like an AJA or Blackmagic recorder.

I Totally missed this setting, Thank you!