logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FAndreas  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 10:39:17 AM(UTC)
FAndreas

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello,

somone already tried Blackmagic Web Presenter with vMix?
Especially if it's possible to set video codec to MJPEG for the possibilty to run more than one Web Presenter on one PC (usb bandwidth).

Regards
Andreas

Edit:
And if it's possible to define the input framerate when adding capture device in vMix.
For example 25p or 30p or maybe 50p and 60p? Maybe someone could say if integrated (teranex) converting betwee standards (60p to 25p or 50p to 30p) produces a much more smoother output than vMix can. Thanks!
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 3:14:56 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Andreas,

thanks for your reply to my feature request.

I have tested the web presenter both as a separate unit for streaming to skype on a separate computer and this works well. This is its intended use.

And I jave tested it as an input to vmix. both for powerpoint captire and as a quick extra 2 camera input via usb2. I checked the frame rate and also the software settings like you can with any normal webcam. I was especially interested in sharpening which you can adjust.

I have to do some more testing.

an other issue is framerate. As I understand from bm and the manual this is auto adjusted based on feedback from the program. there are no settings to set frame rate. I guess disabling auto mode and tweaking the different settings of this webcam like gain and exposior etc might be a way to set and lock the grame rate.

I did not receive the front yet. When I have it I can monitor framerate directly and changes to the frame rate based on tweaking.

I also plan to ask BM the same thing and ask for a software method or setting to fix the framerate at 25 ( or any other ).

Output is mjpeg 720p xx

Just did some preliminairy testing, so will report back again later.

stefan
FAndreas  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:08:03 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Hello Stefan,

thank you for your time! I really appreciate it.

When you add the Web Presenter as a webcam into vMix, is it possible to set framerate as you wish to 25p and 30p?
Or do you get a error message on one of this framerates?
I am not sure if vMix supports such kind of messaging to the webcam to lower framerate. I thought rather that you can define the framerate like you want or need it and the integrated teranex chips converts the signal accordingly to in vMix selected framerate. That would be a great feature.
How do you like the picutre quality and the quality of framerate conversion? Why do you want to sharp the image?
MJPEG sounds good, so multiple Web Presenters on one machine could be an option.

I know, lots of questions. ;)

Thank you.
Andreas
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 4:38:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
For what it is worth, devices like the AJA U-Tap and Magewell dongles already have this functionality with a lot more flexibility and at a lower cost.

For example with both of these you can use them in USB 2.0 PCs by simply selecting a lower resolution and frame rate in vMix.
You can also bring in video up to 1080p with these devices, while the Web Presenter is limited both in frame rate and resolution options.

h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 4:57:53 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

these are single inpit dongles.

the main advantage of the web presenter is that it is a fully stand alone two channel switcher with transition and seperate audio input and throughputs.

for use with a separete skype setup this is a nice sollution if ( as I plan to use it ) a cutomer wants to be able to have a seperate skype putput and switch from vmix output to an extra camera to communicate with the viewers. With skype for business you can have up to 250 people watching...

yes there are alternatives. my original uestion in feature requests was actually to have vmix output a usb2 signal directly, then we would need no dongles at all. Then all you would want to do on the skype computer is inputting that vmixwebcam output and being able to switch to the laptops webcam in between...

stefan
FAndreas  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:00:56 AM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Correct. The main difference is that the Web Presenter is kind of a Semi-Duo-Input (switchable). And also it's integrated teranex conversion.
But I'm still not sure if it could be a good option as a vMix input. I think it all depends on conversion capabilities.

I'm really looking forward to Stefan's test results.
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 11:32:03 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

and don't forget: the webpresenter with front just looks amazing.

and believe it or not: clients love these things because they look professional and they can understand these items.

will report back as soon as i am up and ready to test it completely with the front.

stefan
h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 6:07:43 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

contacted bm emeavwith a bunch of feedbaack on the web presenter.

let's go:

1 audio is terrible. there are several issues: web presenter will mix all and every input together. there is no way to turn an audio input off. if you connect a gopro per example ypur audio will be on all the time

with a transition the sound is lost for a fraction of time.

sound is muttled and something is wrong. when I clap I jear two short clps, but I was sure not to have feedback or anything.

I guess there is some kind of amplification or attenuation going on.

BM should somehow improve this fast, being able to turn off audio or have it follow the video inputs.

2 the web presenter will output 30 fps while i input 25. I don t need 30 but you can not controll a max frame rate.

3 transition is smooth when the inputs have the same framerate. that's ok.

so I hope BM will come with an update soon. for now audio renders this nice box useless.

stefan
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:55:54 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
As always with Blackmagic it's a half-assed job. They release the hardware asap to make the announcements and get massive press coverage and they fix the software afterwards... Not new... ;o(
FAndreas  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:56:32 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Thanks for the update Stefan.
That sounds not so great. Escpecially the audio problems. :(
How does the video looks like in 30p which you ingest with 25p?
Does it looks smooth or is it choppy?
I really can not understand why the box converts a 25p feed to 30p?
Can you not control input framerate in vMix when you add the device?
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 2:05:10 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Andreas,

video looks ok but have to do more testing. I now input a go pro which input 50p automatically and later switched to a panasoninc camera 50i all are sampled to 30p output.

I will now do a test where I input exactly what the teranex converters want and do 720p30 and also input that to vmix. then see what the output is of the web presenter.

I want this thing for the easy switching of two live feeds and its flexibility. I streamed to skype before using bm capture dongle and the quality and sound were excellent. skype will handle downmixing the input when bandwidth is low. no need for the webpresenter to also respond. I guess thats behind the audio problems too: they (bm) shoudl at least provide one clean audio throughput at a standard quality and leave it as it is.

but my time and patience is limited so is my enthusiasm.

stefan
FAndreas  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:58:03 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

I can understand that you do not want to spend so much time in this device.
Especially because it is so disappointing with audio.
For me, your current tests were already a big help! A help for the decision to wait a little bit until BMD fixes this issues.
I think the device is still a good idea. But it should work properly.
h2video.nl  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:58:58 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

just found out this: ( just tried it out, what the heck, it s a new thing, keep on testing)

input web presenter in vmix, set input in vmix to 25p for the web presenter ... and it switches to 25p out.

nice, just what i want control and no more frames than needed.

will be in London next week for recording. if anybody around to talk vmix web presenter talk, happy to go and have a drink...

also: I will use my web prsenter for an easy two camera input, next week, have to travel light.

one go pro connected wirelessly through my hollyland wirless set hdmi sdi switcher magic box, all battery powered so i can get the gopro whereever i want in5 minutes setup time...

one extra panasonic cam for that extra perspective.

main cam is my canon xa25... will use my laptop msi reference...

easy switching, easy setup, one usb input, setup time 10 minutes. max flexibility on a laptop sized platform...

stefan
FAndreas  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:32:07 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Thanks for the update Stefan.
That was what I meant and hoped with my question in a previous post:
Quote:
Can you not control input framerate in vMix when you add the device?

Because that should be actually a capability of the integrated converter. Good to know and thanks for testing.
h2video.nl  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:32:45 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

bmd responded on their forum they have identified the problem with audio and video. they should come up with a firmware update soon.

apparently they used the web presenter and update in their latest livestream.

now it is just waiting.

stefan
h2video.nl  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:13:59 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

bmd just posted an update v 1.1 for the web presenter.

audio quality seems to be fixed, there is no or hardly any interuption during transitions and video transitions seem to be ok.

but issues still remain. main one is that you can not controle what audio to use. any input will be mixed together. this is really a big minus, because there is a little bit latency on the audio, so even when you would input the same audio with the video inputs, there will be some echo that will tender the audio unuseable.

best would be to be able to turn audio on or off of an input or have it follow the inputs. anyway, up to bmd to redesign the way audio inputs are handled.

for now it still is an easy and quick two camera input to vmix, quick web cam output for skype or streaming on a second computer and a small field mixer for small scale productions.

i have used it now for a number of times because it is easy to plug in and use on the fly...

stefan

h2video.nl  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 11:43:18 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

last wednesday version 1.2 of the web presenter was published on the bmd service page.

this seems to have addressed all the audio issues. through a menu you can now set audio of specific inputs on or of or follow the input. also other audio settings can be made such as adjust gain. also there is a choice of options and settings on the transitions such as cut or mixwith durations.

i think now we have a complete product that can be used as an output directly to a skype computer or as an extra two input option. per example for a powerpoint screen capture when there is no option to get desktop capture installed.

will be putting the web presenter to good use over the next few weeks.

anybody using this little box also? let me know what your experience is.

cheers
stefan
stigaard  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 2:07:43 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:
i think now we have a complete product that can be used as an output directly to a skype computer or as an extra two input option. per example for a powerpoint screen capture when there is no option to get desktop capture installed.

Why don't you just use vMix call instead of skype? :-) No need for additional computers :-)
h2video.nl  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 4:00:37 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Stigaard,

i use the web presenter at live productions when my client wants to use skype for a closed multi user live stream. with the web presenter it is easy for me: just plug it in and they can do the rest.

skype now offers multy attendees, and is two way. so i can project the incomming view on a second beamer or so. looks realy cool and I don t have to worry about that part.

in addition it could be ravved up for semi live production and simple switching from room to presenter on a second camera. it will take 1 mnute to explain. I provide the live mix of the room or venue. multi camera and powerpoint mix etc. they can switch from room to talking to the remote viewers, like they are used to.

so no need for vmix call here. vmix call is very usefull in live broadcast like porductions, this is a parrallel production.

stefan