logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cpilcher  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 11:18:29 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
After making the official switch to vMix 1 year ago, I was able to tailor my equipment setup with that software in mind. A journey that started 15 years ago, with just myself and a camcorder (and endless hours of post production)... has slowly become an entire crew of staff and a system that allows me to skip all the editing and instead spend quality time with my children.

Instead of a random pile of technology on a table top, I now have a totally portable system that is able to be setup and streaming in minutes. The fight fans love the live feed to the Jumbo Tron, the event likes their Logo and sponsors live on screen and Instant Replay (the feature that made me take another look at vMix last year) is a huge hit with my commentators as well as the audience.

I think I did "vMix to the Max!" Thanks for everything Martin and your staff. And to the forums for helping me address the issues along the way.

Custom Build Includes:
PC: AsRock Z170, 6700k, GeForce 970, Blackmagic Decklink Quad2 SDI, Magewell 4 Port HDMI Capture
Audio: Focusright Scarlet 18i20
Furman Power Conditioner
4 Acer 1080p monitors (1. Main Production, 2. Replay, 3. Multiview, 4. Output (For Commentators)
Shuttle Pro v2
XKeys 32 key bar
Korg nano v2
NINJA 2 Exernal SSD Recorder
Private WiFi LAN for tally and talkback
2 XLR event audio feeds (ambient audio)
2 XLR Headset Mics (Commentary)
1 XLR House feed for announcer

Cpilcher attached the following image(s):
IMG_1255.JPG (2,138kb) downloaded 134 time(s).
IMG_1244.JPG (2,302kb) downloaded 115 time(s).
IMG_1195.JPG (2,230kb) downloaded 102 time(s).
IMG_1212.JPG (1,944kb) downloaded 90 time(s).
IMG_1253.JPG (182kb) downloaded 24 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 4 users thanked Cpilcher for this useful post.
CedarSpringsTV on 11/29/2016(UTC), inventor on 12/3/2016(UTC), MasterYon on 2/10/2017(UTC), ON.tv Channels on 2/13/2017(UTC)
Siroki  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 11:24:17 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Nice case and great job!

Thx for sharing
Best regards
Marko
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 2:38:32 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Cpilcher

Awesome dude!
Undoubtedly a custom "Prototype".
In retrospect, would you change or adjust anything to the design?
A renowned local flight case company here had a contract for custom Tricaster cases, if you ever want to look into "mass production" I could put you in touch.
I had originally thought of doing something similar several years ago (and may still) only with dual monitors, I just haven't had a big call for multi-cam events to properly justify the effort as of yet.
Also, I'm somewhat curious about the "Private WiFi LAN for tally and talkback"...
What do you use and how do you compensate for noisy environment on 'talkback'?

Ice
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 2:40:50 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Nice and cool!
Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 3:10:58 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
ICE,

this is probably the 6th generation of this design. I've adjusted bits and pieces as things have been changed and added. The next one will probably have a little more room for additional equipment if I need to add anything in the future. I also want to make it more weatherproof so a road case style would be awesome. I don't have any plans for mass production, I have just been solving problems that took a lot of redundant setup time. And eventually simplify things enough so I won't need to be as important to the setup process.

For talkback I use iPods and run an app called Mumble. The box has an old Linksys router built into it and as soon as I power up the box it starts broadcasting my signal. Anyone within that range can communicate with my production crew over the app. Those same devices also use the vMix tally system to notify which angle I am using. My Commentary crew also has a device that notifies them when their audio feed is being broadcast to the output. Which has helped a lot.

Noise hasn't been an issue. The last venue had an amazing sound system "House of Blues" style and the Sub Woofers were inches away from my camera operators and they said they had no problems understanding me. I don't usually allow them to speak while filming during production, but in testing they were loud and clear as well.

Chuck

UPDATE: I have 2 shows next week so I will take some more photos of my full setup. And i can take some more detailed shots of the other "stations" i have setup. I have 2 camera stations and a commentary station that break off of the main computer which eliminated another mess of cable connections that had to be run each time.
PTZOptics  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 7:57:40 PM(UTC)
PTZOptics

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Very NICE! Cool Setup Cpilcher!