logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:48:03 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
what resolution / size does the ndi output use? I can not find info other than that ndi will adjust it with lower bandwidth. can turn it on onder settings external but does it use the vmix video output size as a base or something else?

Can I set it myself? where would i do that.

nice feature though because the cameraman can look at the final output of the production.

stefan
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:38:41 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Don't know if vMix adjusts from HD (haven't checked) but if one creates a NDI source with the SDK one can set the resolution so i guess it depends
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:41:52 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi Stefan

so far here's what I noticed.

When outputting NDI out of vMix:
NDI will use project settings as indicated in STREAMING/RECORDING settings or EXTERNAL2.
Also when using individual inputs to NDI outputs it uses the resolution of your inputs.

BUT:
bandwidth will change according to your NDI destination, that is to say (and you can check this easily) that the size of the window displaying the NDI stream determines the bandwidth use.
For example on your remote PC, open task manager on network tab, then use NDI Monitor (which permits to change the size of the window) and select an NDI source (let's say 1080 from vMix)
If you resize this window to a smaller size, the bandwidth lowers (but the quality stays the same)... If you go to full screen, bandwidth goes up to 100 or 120 Mbits.

If you have 2 destinations for the same NDI source, your vMix machine will consume bandwidth according to each destination need. So it won't necessarily be 2x100 Mbits for a fullHD stream.

The same way if you "send" NDI (you don't actually send NDI, you provide it for clients requests) to a 1366x768 computer it won't go to 100 Mbits.

I sometimes send 6 NDI streams to a remote PC for monitoring with NDI Monitor and 6 small windows. Bandwidth stays under 100Mbits. Each small window can be double clicked to go Full Screen... It's very nice for an operator...

In a word, bandwidth is determined by client's request, not by the NDI source whereas resolution is determined by the source.

Hope this helps...
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
h2video.nl on 2/2/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:43:56 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Forgot to mention that if you use NDI Connect as a source you can select OUT resolution.
With NDI ScanConverter, it depends on the screen resolution (just like vMix Desktop Capture).
With NDI Plugin for VLC, it depends on the video resolution.
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:22:35 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

thanks Guillaume,

I used your trick to check bandwidth.

so i see the bandwith varies with

1 display output size setting (master vmix setting in settings first pane.)
2. size of the view window in the ndi viewer ( only one or two steps)
and 3...

very curiously bandwidth also varies with raw capture input resolution.

i have two cameras hooked up one is 1080p25 and the other is 1080i50. p25 is low about 75 mbts and 50i is higher around 105.

when I change the camera to the putput, the bandwidth on the ndi viewer computer changes.

So i guess vmix is taking the raw input on the output window as the source and not the external output processed by vmix. so basically a pass through.

Maybe martin can explain why. maybe it would be more convinient to use the vmix external output as a source so you can reduce the size yourself thus, base bandwidth and keep it fixed.

by the way: what do you use to monitor on a small screen. there is no newtec ios viewer to watch on an iphone ipad or ipod. i now stream to a networkstream over wifi and use vlc to pick it up, also works in an ipad etc. nice for preview monitor, but ndi is build in so less cables...

stefan
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:45:26 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
very curiously bandwidth also varies with raw capture input resolution.

i have two cameras hooked up one is 1080p25 and the other is 1080i50. p25 is low about 75 mbts and 50i is higher around 105.

I guess your vMix project is 1080i50 then.
If it was 1080p25, it should not vary when outputting PROGRAM output. Your 1080i50 input should be converted to 1080p25.

But if you NDI out your cams inputs, yes it should vary.

NDI respects the very nature of inputs for bandwidth.
From NDI specs:

NDI & Bandwidth
- UHDp50/60 : 250 Mbits
- UHDp25/30 : 200 Mbits
- HDp50/60 : 125
- HDi50/60 : 100
- 720p60 : 90

( the value for 1080p25 is not indicated sorry but it's less than 100 Mbits by definition)

Quote:
So i guess vmix is taking the raw input on the output window as the source and not the external output processed by vmix. so basically a pass through.

I can nearly confirm this, as I did some latency tests the other day for multi vMix workflows, and surprisingly noticed that I had less latency on a second vMix machine than on the main vMix output. I'll be publishing some results about these tests shortly.

Quote:
what do you use to monitor on a small screen?

I don't. Sorry... I have HDMI or SDI monitors for my cameramen.
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:56:55 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

all my projects system settings are 1080p25.

so strange the bandwidth varies when switching to the i50 input.

last but not least: i will also test using networkstream and bandwidth use. with increasing numbers of viewers a network stream would be preferable, as I understand ndi is a peer to peer connection and every connection adds to the bandwidth and performance of vmix. networkstream would be one to many...

when i use only one connection ndi is quick and neat.

for network streaming ( not livestrwaming out but streaming on the local wifi) I use a yuan stream box connected to a vmix output made to match.

and the operator or camera man somewhere can pick the stream up with his / her phone and watch what the output is.

stefan

kane  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2017 11:52:11 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:
all my projects system settings are 1080p25.

so strange the bandwidth varies when switching to the i50 input.

Interlace working at a field level which appears as a higher frame rate. Progressive video is also typically easier to compress.

Kane Peterson
NewTek