logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:24:30 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thank you Stefan for letting Akitio know about these issues. I was going to do that concerning the frame, but other things always come in between. Will be interesting to learn about their response/solition. (Guess they will not replace boxes already purchased).
h2video.nl  
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2017 9:44:50 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
next step in using the Akitio box in persuit of a compact but powerfull system

hooking it up to an intel nuc skull i7.

it is amazing how vmix performs in these miniature systems, I am well on my way to get my portable system under on kilogram and fitting in my backpack.

intel skull i7 underclocked and under volted running a steady 15% cpu which 4% is vmix, recording mp4 main at 1080p25 25 mbit to a sdcard.
connected to the akitiobox with bm duo 2 with one active input and one input through desktop capture through the network.

16 gb ram in two banks of 8 running 2400 mhz and a fast samsung ssd.

temp not over 60 celcius.

hardly any noise.

I think i can now proceed to build this into a case i can carry and quickly deploy.

few minor things to be tested: hooking the monitor up through the displayport on the akitio. and using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. no cables.

all credits go to Martin who is proving again and again what a wonder vmix is!!

any body tested an intel i5 nuc with thunderbolt3 these will be released any time now with 7th gen chips and upgraded iris pros.

stefan
h2video.nl attached the following image(s):
intellskull-akitio.jpg (2,290kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zenvideo  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:48:35 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
A customer of mine (who has several Magewell cards and plans to get vMix soon) has bought one of these Akito boxes recently and reports:-
Quote:
You'll notice that for the Magewell Quad HDMI the last port is not accessible, but for the Quad SDI this is not a problem. I pointed this out to the Akitio guys and they had to update their website to reflect this information, otherwise other customers will complain of a similar issue.

What I plan to do is shave off a bit of the metal on the casing to allow for the last HDMI port to be accessible.

See attached images that show both cards installed. He also goes on to say:-
Quote:
In the meantime, during testing, I found out that the Thunderbolt 3 solution is fantastic.
You can literally plug and play the Thunder3 Box and your system will 1st recognize the Box and then the contents of the Box. So the Magewell Cards with drivers installed show up like they would on a Desktop PC. This is quite convenient for events or whatever events people wanna go to. You switch on your Laptop, plug the Box in and Bam! You're good to go.

It's worth mentioning that if you have a USB Type-C 3.1 and it's not Thunderbolt3 the device will show up in the Thunderbolt3 Device Manager on Windows, but you don't see the Capture Card. So the port must be Thunderbolt3 certified.
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
Akitio Thunder3 Magewell Quad HDMI issue.jpg (203kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Akitio Thunder3 Magewell Quad SDI perfect.jpg (170kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
h2video.nl  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:29:01 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

as you can see in the threat above, this issue has been reported.

it is just a matter of slightly attatching the innerworks 3-4 mm higher and adding a little room.

please report this to akitio also and advice your client to do the same. this way they might put some speed behind solving this hardware issue.

not everybode is as lightning fadt as martin is with fixing issues...

stefan

ps i managed to input a sdi input and then secure the card. this way i am able to use the lower port. but it is not a preferred way of working.
kricher1964  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:40:09 AM(UTC)
kricher1964

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So is it possible to use more than one Akitio box at a time? Can they be daisy-chained successfully?
h2video.nl  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:55:30 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

i managed to daisy chain a bm recorder thunder2 via thunderbolt3 to 2 converter, but not a second akitio.

the chain is visible but not the card. so a no go.

would have been too good to be true I guess
kricher1964  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:16:05 PM(UTC)
kricher1964

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I see where you earlier tested with a Blackmagic and a Yuan card. Did you test beyond this? with other cards perhaps?
RichShumaker  
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 2:11:44 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:

so in theory one could manage 4+1 input and use a displayport to hdmi to get an external screen output for streaming or other output uses.

so no luck this far. there might just be one option left and that is a second bm card in the second box and bm seeing it as one... but my guess is no.

will feedback to akitio though and adk to be sure.

they already reported they have design looking into the low input blocked by frame issue.

keep you posted. ideas and reactions welcome.
stefan
[img][/img]

My question was can you use the BMD 4K mini recorder card and if so how many could you daisy chain.
I think the answer will be one.
So their is a different but similar question could you use 1 BMD 4k card and 1 Magewell 4K card?
The cost difference is a bit steep though.

I wonder could you use 1 Yuan 4 port(3 usable it seems from the thread) and 1 BMD 4 input card?

Thanks for letting us know about this stuff as it looks great on paper except your real world mileage will vary for sure.

Rich Shumaker
ON.tv Channels  
#29 Posted : Saturday, April 8, 2017 12:43:42 PM(UTC)
ON.tv Channels

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NiBTour wrote:
h2video.nl wrote:
tried it again and i first assigned all sdi inputs. can not select like with the 8 input card, but i have to activate the inputs in bm manager.

in the end i managed to get 3 inputs working, one output active and i managed to daisychain one extra input through thunder3 to 2 conversion and using a bm thunderbolt 2 mini capture. so 4 inputs and one output.

next thing on the list is to get 5 inputs active and try to hook on the displayport to hdmi output for monitoring (output) and or external streaming or wifi streaming.

anyway, getting there and very happy because my set is getting bigger in capabilities and smaller in size... 3 inputs and one output is enough for me for most recordings.

have a good holliday season everybody...
stefan

You should be able to get 8 channel with the 8 port card and 4 with the duo 2
http://www.vmix.com/know...k-quad2-to-be-8-channels

Are you able to confirm whether or not the BMD Decklink Quad2 card is definitely compatible with the following new Akitio TB3 box: https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box`and the power supply is enough to cope with 8 SDI cams attached?

Thanks in advance, John
h2video.nl  
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:12:26 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi all,

I did not test bm mini 4k or the bm quad2. based on my experience so far, the cards should work as the akitio works just like an internal pcie slot.

there is one important difference though, the box should be cold booted connected to the tb3 port at start up of the laptop.

although you can hot swap the box, I fould that onlu the major port will be active. so port 1 and 2 in position 2 and 4 from the reference.

I don't know why this is but I guess bmd managed to have two inputs on one processor on the card and somehow the software will not activate the duo2 inputs.

energy wise the duo2 consumes about 10 watt, and the card has enough power for that. I don't expect a problem with the quad 2, but maybe somebody has tested this combo.

daisy chaining does not work other wise than using the tb3 port to convert to tb2 and connecting a tb2 mini. maybe other combies might work as well.

greetings,
stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
ON.tv Channels on 4/9/2017(UTC)
Gyapi  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:54:34 PM(UTC)
Gyapi

Hello!

Does akitio box work with other BM cards?
Inersity Pro or DeckLink Mini Recorder.
There is no subsidized product on the side of your company

Thanks, Gyapi
h2video.nl  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:25:28 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

I guess they will work. but if you are going to use only a one inpit card in the box, you are better off using a bm mini recorder with tb2 and a tb3 to tb2 converter. that way you have no need for external power and a small footprint.

I guess the akitio box is more usefull for full hight 2 or better 4 input / output cards like the bmd duo2 card in combo with a laptop.

stefan
thanks 2 users thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
Gyapi on 4/19/2017(UTC), Ario on 9/19/2017(UTC)
Yamato  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:23:45 PM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello everyone,
Bumping the thread for a quick question please :
Is there something like Ultrastudio mini Monitor or AJA T-Tap but with Thunderbolt 3 ? both are only HD-SDI and i would like a 3G-SDI full HD 60fps output for monitoring and going to a dedicated encoder because i want to output FHD at 60fps with a decent preset, i was planning to hook it up to the Akitio box.

Also, did anyone tested successfully a Decklink Quad 2 ?

Cheers and have a great day
Yamato  
#34 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2017 3:05:05 PM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Sorry for the double post,
But while searching for hardware, i came across this really interesting Magewell capture card :
http://www.magewell.com/...-quad-sdi-m-2/tech-specs

UserPostedImage

Quad SDI input you can put inside the NUC Skull Canyon. The only issue is letting cables out, which is made possible because Intel released 3D plan of NUC lids so you can modify et print your own.

My only concern is about securing the SDI cables which are plugged to the capture card. I'm currently thinking about a solution for this but this would allow using the NUC for production without needing a PCIE to TB3 box.

Only issue so far : I've been unable to find a reseller to buy this card.