logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NiBTour  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:36:04 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Just a general question to those using the smart video hub from black magic. The hub works nicely in my workflow but is unusable due to the extremely loud and annoying sound it puts out due to its fans. I'm trying to get BDM involved but just wanted to know from people that do real-world streaming live do they have the same issue and if so how are they dealing with it since every mic in a 50-yard radius picks up the passenger like turbines that this thing puts out in noise. it's insane. at first, i said no way this must be the bootup sound and then I found out its constant and then I turned on the small 4 port multiview and that is just as loud.

Does anyone else have sound issues that make this unusable on the road?

Has anyone else used something other than BMD for their SDI hubs and multiview routers? If so which ones because i might have to find someone else if BDM thinks this is acceptable.

thanks!

-King
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:28:05 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Most of the time when you build the unit into a rack, noise is reduced.
You can look on the atemuser.com forum for other solutions, as they normally go further than people on the bmd forum.
NiBTour  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:11:45 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Mathijs wrote:
Most of the time when you build the unit into a rack, noise is reduced.
You can look on the atemuser.com forum for other solutions, as they normally go further than people on the bmd forum.

yeah its in a rack and its 6x maybe 10x louder than any other product including my render servers which are DELL PowerEdge 2U's at full load. So you're saying this is normal for this product? ugh... i saw a $300 device that replaces the top cover of the 12x12 or 20x20 and makes them silent by replacing them with decent fans and keeps them cooler i guess it was just hard for me to fathom something this loud. ive been in the data center business for 8 years. it's the loudest and when doing nothing lol.

-King
Peter B  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:20:57 AM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Maybe you could sound blimp it without constricting the air flow too much using a U shaped foam lined box sitting around the fans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_blimp

I have an older 16x16 BMD with no fans at all, they depend on the plugs to be part of the heatsink.
I will add a couple of small fans outside it.
tesn  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:03:34 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I don't have much to add other than yes, it's loud! :-)

We'll be using our new one in about a month. I incorporated the TCP calls into my graphics/scoring software so I can switch cameras automatically.

But yeah, they're loud. I had it in my dining room while testing and I had to make sure it was off so I could hear the TV.

-Brain
NiBTour  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:47:31 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

tesn wrote:
I don't have much to add other than yes, it's loud! :-)

We'll be using our new one in about a month. I incorporated the TCP calls into my graphics/scoring software so I can switch cameras automatically.

But yeah, they're loud. I had it in my dining room while testing and I had to make sure it was off so I could hear the TV.

-Brain

ahaha damn :| whats funny i was just told by BDM support that they are quiet and are barely noticeable. they told me to turn mine in to be fixed or looked at. wondering if i do now or not :|
Mathijs  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:54:06 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Most of their 1U units are noisy. There are multiple fpga's in their that have their own little fan each, plus the fans on the side of the unit are loudest, because they have to pass lots of air to keep it all cool. They should have made them 2U just to address the noise. That way they could have used 80mm fans on the side which would have made them silent.
You can take the top off and install it into a rack with enough space above it so the heat can get out and disable the side fans. There is some chance of interference that way, cause the housing also shields it of course. Or mod the housing yourself, like the way too expensive 299 dollar modification top panel that is sold online.
UserPostedImage
One fan is blowing inwards and the other is sucking air out.