logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madden64freak  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2017 8:21:27 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

Groups: Registered

I'm new to vMix, encountering a problem that may be incredibly easy to solve, but a search in the forums didn't yield any answers yet.

Here's the scenario. I have a 1080p vMix document. I insert a 4K image source into the document, which obviously gets scaled down to the working resolution. The problem is, the image doesn't scale down gracefully. The quality of the image degrades heavily and the output looks terrible. (especially any text in the image) Now, if I resize the 4K image down to 1920x1080 in Photoshop, and import it into vMix, it displays properly in the high quality I would expect. The text looks smooth and anti-aliased just like in the original, the colors and gradients are right. Everything looks good. The same thing happens to me with video, and it's really awful with PowerPoint presentations. (again, text in the video looks especially bad) Also, this degradation in quality shows up in preview window, live window, fullscreen, and the recorded output.

So you might be inclined to say, "Hey stupid, just make sure your assets are the same resolution as your vMix document." which I would agree with you if all the images were going to be fullscreen images. But that's not going to work for some of the picture-in-picture / interview / presenter and presentation scenarios that make up my workflow. In these scenarios, some images and video will have to be scaled in order to fit it properly on the screen in a nice arrangement. The problem is, any scaling seems to ruin the quality of the source material when scaled in vMix.

I can try and combat this by creating as many assets as I can in a resolution that would display well natively without vMix scaling the source, but the problem is, there are some sources in my workflow where that isn't possible.

So, to get to the point. Am I missing a simple setting that improves the way input sources are scaled in vMix? Is there something I can do to my vMix document settings to make this problem go away? Or do I need to just make as many assets as possible the perfect size to display natively, and then just live with the fact that any content that has to be scaled will not look good?
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:42:53 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Can you post an example image?
madden64freak  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:58:08 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

I'll provide 1 of the images that I was using. This image serves as a background for a Multi View input. Both images come from the same 1080p vMix document. The only difference is that one image is natively a 4K image, and the other is natively a 1080p image. If you do a stare and compare on both images, you'll see that the text, and some of the gradients are noticeably worse in the image with the scaled down 4K image.
madden64freak attached the following image(s):
4K Source Image.png (1,493kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
1080p Source Image.png (1,282kb) downloaded 57 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:00:01 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I spent half a lifetime selling & installing character generation systems in broadcast facilities. One of the lessons learned is that scaling an image is never going to help it. It can only hurt.

If you don't need 4K output, don't use oversized images.

Using size-as art always deliver the most reliable, high-quality output.
madden64freak  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 7:29:48 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@mjgraves, I'm in total agreement with you in regards to the things I can control. The assets that I control, I can create at a resolution where no scaling is necessary. However, some of the assets I'm not in control of their size/resolution, and this problem is also happening with video sources. I guess to be more proper, it's a camera source, but it's actually a PowerPoint presentation being fed into vMix via HDMI capture. It comes in at 1080p and there's nothing I can do to change that. (there's other hardware in the device chain that depends on that source staying 1080p) And to get it to fit my workflow, I have to scale that source so I can use it in a side-by-side shot with the speaker giving the presentation which all sits in front of that background that I uploaded to demonstrate the scaling issue. When I scale the camera source, the quality suffers in the same manner as the example images I provided.

If I just import the PowerPoint presentation into vMix, I lose the antialiased text, animations, and transitions that some of my presenters utilize, and I still have to scale it. And if I export the presentation as images, I still lose all those things, but can resize it in Photoshop so that vMix doesn't make it look any worse via scaling, but I still lose all the things I want to retain in the video. And then someone has to keep track of the slide advances to make sure that they stay in time with with the live presentation feed.

So, I'm totally with you, use the right resolution for the assets I can do that with, but I'm still looking for a solution to the ones I can't change. I've used other video switching software platforms, and have not run into this issue before. So it's kind of caught be by surprise that vMix can't scale large sources down and still have them look nice. I'd completely understand if you were scaling up a small source to a larger size. Of course that's going to look bad, but I would've hoped that scaling large sources down would have looked fine, and possibly had effectively antialiased the source while displaying it at the smaller size similar to the way video cards implement super-sampled antialiasing in video games.
admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:33:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4157 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Sorry, my last post in error where I did a side by side test, but it turns out the 4k PNG you posted isn't actually in 4k resolution.
Are you able to get the original 4k file so I can run a test?

In any case, the problem relates to the scaling algorithm used by not just vMix but most other live production software and systems out there.
To get better quality requires using something like Photoshop which is not realtime and therefore could not be adapted to live software.

If you see better results with other live software could you post some examples so I can see what algorithm they might be using.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
madden64freak  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 7:42:51 AM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin, you said that you made a previous post that was in error in your most recent post. However, I only see one post from you. So I don't see a post previous to reference to that one that would be the one that was in error. Perhaps I'm missing something. It wouldn't be the first time.

In regards to the 4K image not being the right size. It is the right size. The point was to show the effect of vMix scaling a larger image down to 1080p. So the 4K source image is supposed to be scaled down to 1080p by vMix. So you should have 2 images to compare. One that was originally 1080p and imported to vMix, and the other originally 4K, and scaled down to 1080p by vMix. They should both be effectively the same size, but you can see that the image that was 4K source does not look nearly as good as the 1080p source. Both images were captured from a vMix live output.

I use BoinxTV/mimoLive at work. I'll have to see if I can get you some comparison images from that. Not sure if I'll even have time to fire that computer up today though. I could also see about firing up OBS Studio when I get home tonight.
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 8:21:59 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Did you try to feed vMix with your presentations via NDI instead of HDMI?

You have 2 (free) solutions for this:
- vMix NDI Capture Desktop
- Newtek NDI ScanConverter

I'm not sure but you might get more satisfying results. Never tried myself with 4K sources, but it's worth trying imho.

Regards
Guillaume
admin  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 9:16:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I deleted my first reply due to the incorrect info, sorry about that.
What I was looking for is the original 4k image so I can run some scaling tests in vMix and see how it compares.

vMix uses Linear Interpolation for image scaling for reference, which is used by most live video software I have tested.

mjgraves  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 2:07:20 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
admin wrote:
I deleted my first reply due to the incorrect info, sorry about that.
What I was looking for is the original 4k image so I can run some scaling tests in vMix and see how it compares.

vMix uses Linear Interpolation for image scaling for reference, which is used by most live video software I have tested.

With graphics you nearly always need to use bicubic interpolation to deliver quality output.
DWAM  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 2:18:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
With graphics you nearly always need to use bicubic interpolation to deliver quality output.

When the signal comes from HDMI, I guess it is supposed to be video anyway, not graphics
madden64freak  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 2:44:51 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@DWAM, I've considered NDI instead, but didn't want to have another program running on the computer running PowerPoint. My LAN is also only on 100Mbps switches right now and would rather put Gigabit switches in before playing with NDI. I think it might also be nice to have the NDI traffic on its own VLAN. I'm not completely opposed to the idea of NDI, but I'd prefer the HDMI option if I can get the desired result from that.

Also, just so I don't give you the wrong idea. I have no intention of working with 4K sources right now. I just used a 4K image source to demonstrate the problem I'm having. Certainly some day I'll do 4K, but I think I'm a couple years from wanting/needing to do that.

@admin, when I get home I can upload a copy of the original source @ 4K.

@mjgraves, <EDIT: Whoops I thought you had said that the video should be video and not graphics when it was actually DWAM who had said that. So, my sentiment is pretty much the same, but a lot of this response is actually for you DWAM> the HDMI source is video, it just happens to be video of a PowerPoint presentation. Digital video capture or NDI is the only way to get the PowerPoint presentation with the anti-aliased text and the animations intact. (based on your other replies, I'm going to guess you already know all this, so I'm sorry for preaching to the choir) So, whether it's graphics, an animated film, or live action video, it doesn't matter to me. I'd like to be able to have it look nice scaled down in a picture-in-picture or side-by-side setup with another shot, and still have it look as much like the original as possible. I've been able to accomplish that with BoinxTV/mimoLive for years, and would like to move over to vMix instead, but I want to retain as much quality as possible in the move for sources that I do have to scale.

Thank you all for your help and responses so far. You've all been quite pleasant and helpful.
DWAM  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 3:34:27 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Just to be clear, I only wanted to reply to mjgraves, himself replying to Martin from vMix, that when a signal is coming from HDMI it is considered by vMix as a video signal. Thus Linear Interpolation is used. I agree Bicubic Interpolation gives better results for graphics but I guess vMix can't distinguish what's coming in via HDMI, whether it's pure video or graphics converted to video.

So my intention was not to say that the signal SHOULD BE video and not graphics. I was trying to express that, HDMI being used, there is no way for vMix to change and optimize its interpolation method.

Bien à vous tous,
Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
madden64freak on 1/20/2017(UTC)
madden64freak  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 4:25:55 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@DWAM Thanks. That makes sense.
richardgatarski  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 3:42:13 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to remind about that some of us have in other topics pointed out the not so good scaling when images are rotated. Primarily noted for lines (as a graphical element) in images used for for example in Virtual sets.
Thanks.
madden64freak  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:29:17 AM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin, I've tried to upload the 4K image at its original 3840x2160 resolution, but it appears that the forum can't handle a 4.66MB file, and crashes out when I attempt to upload it. If you're looking for a way to recreate the problem, you should be able to get similar results by importing the 1080p source image into a 720p workflow, or by importing it into a 1080p workflow and using it as a multi view component and having it be side-by-side with another source. In both situations I've seen very similar results on how the image gets distorted.

In regards to the interpolation used to resize the image. When I'm working in photoshop, I always use bicubic interpolation to resize my images which always seems to retain the intended quality, or the spirit, or the artist's intent of the image. Whatever you'd like to call it, even though technically some quality is obviously lost to do the decrease in pixel count. If the problem is the way vMix interpolates the image, would it be possible then to feature request a bicubic interpolation option at the source level. (Or I guess technically it's called the Input level?) So if you have to scale a source, you could specify how the image is to be interpolated on a per source/input level so that whichever interpolation provides the best result for that source could be used. Perhaps a drop-down box under the Advanced or the position menu inside each input.

I do understand that employing certain algorithms can come with a performance hit, and if vMix couldn't do it without the whole production turning into a ghastly 5fps slideshow, then I can understand why the developers wouldn't be willing to implement such a thing. But if it's a feasible option. I think it would be great to implement for people that use sources that have to be scaled and have no option to resize before getting to vMix.
admin  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:51:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I've researched this a bit more, and it looks like vMix may not be scaling 4K to HD correctly even taking into account the difference between Linear Interpolation
vs Bicubic.

I confirmed this by scaling a 4K image to HD using linear manually and then comparing, so we'll try to get this fix put in the next update.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
madden64freak on 1/21/2017(UTC), mjgraves on 1/21/2017(UTC)
madden64freak  
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:11:37 AM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin if there's a bug you located, and it's getting fixed....that's awesome, and thank you. However, if it's only addressing specifically going from 4K to other HD resolutions, then it's not going to help me much. I only used a 4K source as an example. My actual working resolutions are 720p and 1080p in my workflow and my sources are all 1080p or less. And when scaling those sources, they would often be 1080p sources scaled down to to fit in a side-by-side interview style format or picture-in-picture. If the fix helps at all resolutions though, then I'm excited for what's coming. If not, I'll still be looking for other solutions. Thanks again.
admin  
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:31:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

To be specific, the fix will help in situations where you are scaling down an image by exactly half.
For example 4K to HD, or two side by side 1080p boxes within a 1080p output, so it should help with the scenarios you mentioned.

admin  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:35:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Before and after images to demonstrate:

admin attached the following image(s):
before.png (96kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
after.png (94kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.