logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RoboST  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 5:12:40 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Have 2 cameras (Cam1 on Output / Cam2 via NDI on Preview) that I transition between and use the web interface.

I have an overlay as PIP so when Cam1 is Output, Cam2 is on Overlay1 (PIP) or Cam2 is Output, Cam1 is on Overlay1 (PIP).

Right now, we press a transition (CubeZoom) and then press the corresponding Cam for Overlay1 manually.

Is there a way to have the PIP change to the other camera automatically in Preview (PIP follow) so I just press the one transition button on the Web Interface?
Mari  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:03:14 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
don't know if it the right way to do it, but should be possible by creating a virtual input of both inputs. In that virtual input you can PIP the other input via the multi view option.

I have attached an screenshot. On the screen you can see 2 inputs and 2 virtual inputs, in both virtual inputs I have put the other input as PIP via the multi view option.

Mari attached the following image(s):
virtualinput-multiview.jpg (1,200kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:04:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RoboST

There are probably a couple of ways to accomplish this, but I would be inclined to use the "MultiView" feature of each Input to set up the appropriate PiP effect I want, and then probably use the "Merge" transition when switching between them.

Ice
Mari  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:09:42 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Without creating virtual-inputs I was not able to "create" PIP in both inputs... I was able to PIP input 2 into input 1, but was not able to PIP input 1 into input 2... and you use no overlays ;-)
doggy  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:22:15 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
correct, doing a PIP of a camera on one and then also the opposite doesn't work

with virtual or color inputs it does and use merge, fade or any other to switch

Definitely no need for overlay use ;-)

RoboST  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:51:33 PM(UTC)
RoboST

I'll look into virtual inputs and multiview.. I have Basic HD License, looks like I would need 2 virtual Inputs, do they count towards my Total Input limit?

For this setup, I have 2 Cams (2 Inputs) and an image for the logo/watermark. That's 3 Inputs. If the 2 virtual Inputs count, that would require 5 Inputs and over my 4 Input Limit. I'll check this out, hoping Virtual Inputs don't count.
RoboST  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 7:07:30 PM(UTC)
RoboST

So I added a Virtual Input from Cam1 (Input1) config, config'd Multiview for Cam2 (on Input 3) and configured Position for the PIP settings. Out Logo image is on Input 2. Love the effect with Merge.

However, when I go to add a Virtual Input from Cam2 (Input3) config, it adds the Input (now Input5) but it says offline. I wonder if that is because of the max 4 Input Limit on the Basic HD License??? I assumed it would give my a License error when I tried to create the 5th Input.

Not sure what is going on with that but I see where you guys are going with the Virtual Input/Multiview way.

If you have anymore suggestions for me, please reply.
RoboST  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 7:17:16 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Actually, it looks like I can't create a Virtual Input off a Input that has a NDI source... can anyone else (using NDI) see if they can create a Virtual Input from a Input with a NDI Source and have it so it's not offline?

On that 5th Input (Virtual Input off Input 3 (Cam via NDI source), I can configure Multiview / PIP for Cam1 (Input 1) so apparently Virtual Inputs do not count towards the Max Input Limit.
doggy  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 7:34:30 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Try this be it you will only be able to have a cut transition but will save you on inputs

input 1 and 2 is camera , input 3 is color input

set your color input(3) multiview with cam 1 and 2 as before

create 4 shortcuts with function SetMultiviewOverlay
a= Input 3, value 1,1
b= Input 3, value 2,2
Set b as advanced of a (a will also trigger b now)
c= Input 3, value 1,2
d= Input 3, value 2,1
Set d as advanced of c

ok its now a 2 trigger process ( a and c ) but saves on inputs ;-) no need for preview though

PS, not possible to create virtual of ndi source
RoboST  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 8:00:49 PM(UTC)
RoboST

"PS, not possible to create virtual of ndi source "

I got it to work probably doing some crazy stuff but it's doing what I want with one button press, MERGE button via the Web Interface. I do wish I cold turn off/disable Preview from showing, really not needed for me.

What I did:

Selected Cam2's (on Input 3) config, created Virtual Input (Input 5).
Went to the new Virtual Input which is now Input 5 (which did show offline and was blank), selected Config.
For Multiview 1, selected NDI Cam2 (on Input3) and kept full screen / default settings.
For Multiview 2, selected Cam1 (on Input1) and configured Position for PIP

Put Input 5 in Preview, Input 4 (which is the other Virtual Input and setup with Multiview PIP) is on Output.

Merge does the transition properly each time and I can use our logo still via overlay1 to keep our logo up all the time.

If the new Virtual Input (Input 5) didn't show offline, I would only have to add the Multiview for PIP.

I will also study your last example doggy to see how that works.

Just love how powerful and configurable vMix is.

IceStream  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 12:47:06 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ RoboST

Undoubtedly, vMix has some very powerful features, however, they are best realized with versions above the Basic HD version.
My first reaction to your innitial post was to question which version of vMix you are using because the limitations of the Basic version make it more difficult to achieve certain effects that would otherwise be fairly simple with vMix SD or vMix HD and above.
Given the new revelations of your situation, I would look into using "Triggers" and "Advanced Shortcuts" to coordinate a number of automated actions with a single key press.
Specifically, I would have a "Shortcut" for each Input and trigger the 'Overlay' as desired for each. Depending on how you want this to look, instant or delayed fade in will depend on how you will need to set it up, you might also want "Shortcuts" to remove the 'Overlay'. Again, vMix offers many creative options that are highly customizable to your specific needs, it's just a matter of figuring out the best way to do that.

Ice
RoboST  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 1:55:33 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Thank you, I'll also dive into that trigger/advanced shortcut method using this example... will be a good learning experience for me and be useful for future things we want to do.

We actually have 3 vMix Licenses, 1 is used for recording via NDI... I may upgrade one of them to vMix HD.
doggy  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 2:07:12 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

@ Ice,

Quote:
vMix offers many creative options that are highly customizable to your specific needs

isn't that just the beauty of it all not being limited to this is how it used to be done presets ? :-)
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 3:17:00 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ doggy

Well, yes and no...
It's always good to "push the envelope" and try new ways of doing things and not be limited to one particular way of doing something, especially if it improves or streamlines a process of some sort, but there are other things that have already gone through the "trial and error" stage and have pretty much established and proven themselves as the "Standard", most efficient or "best" way of doing or presenting something, in those cases, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. How you get there may vary, but the final outcome should conform to tried tested and true practices (e.g. Things like the "Axis of Action" or the fact that Lower thirds should conform to generally accepted lower third practices).
Perhaps a little beyond the scope of your comment, but I think it's important to note that a new way of doing something may not be the "best" way. which kind of reminds me of my original explorations of the "Wirecast" software, not sure where it's at now, but the early versions had such a "Layered" user interface that I found to be very impractical to use in a fast paced 'Live' broadcast environment.
Never-the-less, it is amazing and I'm always impressed with vMix's capabilities and versatilities.

Ice