logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skatejack  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2016 8:57:48 PM(UTC)
skatejack

Groups: Registered

Option 1:
Procesador I7 5930K
Mother Asus X99-A II
DDR4 HX428C14SB2K2/16-TW 16GB
SSD HYPERX Savage de 240GB
Logysis CS4801BK
Thermaltake Smart 750W SP-750P
GTX960 04G-P4-1962-KR de 4GB DDR5
BlackMagic DeckLink Quad 2
CPU Water cooler Corsair H80I GT

Option2:
Procesador I7 6800K
Mother Asus X99-A II
DDR4 HX428C14SB2K2/16-TW 16GB
SSD HYPERX Savage de 240GB
Logysis CS4801BK
Thermaltake Smart 750W SP-750P
GTX960 04G-P4-1962-KR de 4GB DDR5
BlackMagic DeckLink Quad 2
CPU Water cooler Corsair H80I GT

Option 1 vs Option 2?

Which configuration is better for vMix?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2016 10:26:23 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ skatejack

Benchmark differences appear to be nominal, but the kicker for me would be the max # of PCIe lane support, 40 (5930K) vs 28 (6800K) if you are looking at adding more cards.
As you are probably aware, vMix relies more on GPU for the actual video processing, whereas 'Encoding' for 'Streaming', using NDI Sources and 'Recording' to disk are far more CPU intensive, so depending on what you will be doing will determine what you can get away with on the CPU side of things, but certainly, either of those processors should be able to handle whatever you throw at it with vMix.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
kdvberg  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:11:37 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just put a system together this weekend and I had to ask myself the same question last week. In the end I went with the 6800K here is my build:

Asus Sabertooth X99 Motherboard
i7 6800K
GTX 970 video card
32 GB RAM 2400
1TB SSD
4 channel SDI card
1 channel HDMI card
27" 1080 monitor
Palette gear controller

Yes the 6800K only has 28 PCIe lanes but that is more than enough for I need. My system has 4 SDI cameras and one pro presenter Mac that I will capture with the HDMI card.
Quick math on the lanes:
16 for video card, 4 for SDI capture, 1 for HDMI capture. That puts me at 21 lanes, plenty of room to add more cameras if needed in the future.

I can't speak directly about the X99-A II motherboard you picked out but if it is like the sabertooth there is one more consideration in making your decision.

My build failed to POST, after pulling out some hair guessed that the really new 6800K chip was too new for the firmware on the older sabertooth motherboard.

In the end I had to strip the motherboard of the RAM and flash the BIOS with a thumbdrive, then everything was happy.

So, look into what firmware your motherboard ships with and know if you have to update it before installing the chip and the RAM. My guess is that the 5930K will work out of the box but the 6800K may need flashing. It could save you time and that terrible feeling when you hit the power button and nothing shows up on the screen...

It will be a few weeks before the system goes live at church but my testing this weekend makes me confident this build will do an awesome job for us.

Maximus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:03:29 PM(UTC)
Maximus

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I built a system using the 5930 for the extra PCIe Lanes.

Maxi
Nick Davidson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:15:33 AM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
kdvberg wrote:
I just put a system together this weekend and I had to ask myself the same question last week. In the end I went with the 6800K here is my build:

Asus Sabertooth X99 Motherboard
i7 6800K
GTX 970 video card
32 GB RAM 2400
1TB SSD
4 channel SDI card
1 channel HDMI card
27" 1080 monitor
Palette gear controller

Yes the 6800K only has 28 PCIe lanes but that is more than enough for I need. My system has 4 SDI cameras and one pro presenter Mac that I will capture with the HDMI card.
Quick math on the lanes:
16 for video card, 4 for SDI capture, 1 for HDMI capture. That puts me at 21 lanes, plenty of room to add more cameras if needed in the future.

I can't speak directly about the X99-A II motherboard you picked out but if it is like the sabertooth there is one more consideration in making your decision.

My build failed to POST, after pulling out some hair guessed that the really new 6800K chip was too new for the firmware on the older sabertooth motherboard.

In the end I had to strip the motherboard of the RAM and flash the BIOS with a thumbdrive, then everything was happy.

So, look into what firmware your motherboard ships with and know if you have to update it before installing the chip and the RAM. My guess is that the 5930K will work out of the box but the 6800K may need flashing. It could save you time and that terrible feeling when you hit the power button and nothing shows up on the screen...

It will be a few weeks before the system goes live at church but my testing this weekend makes me confident this build will do an awesome job for us.

Curious, why not just capture the Pro Presenter Mac via NDI?
kdvberg  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:00:36 AM(UTC)
kdvberg

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
@ Nick

Good question! I have thought of doing that, and still might, but for now the Pro Presenter capture plan is HDMI for a number of reasons:

1. When I first planned out the system I was not aware it could be done via NDI so I planned money for the HDMI capture card.

2. I am considering keeping the vMix computer disconnected from the network to avoid unwanted updates and provide ultimate virus protection without any software. Obviously going this route would eliminate all NDI use. It would also present other limitations so the jury is still out here.

3. NDI is so new that I didn't want to plan on it as part of the system upgrade. I hear it works great but I have had plenty of other things to be concerned about (and plenty more to come when the install happens), I needed to be able to check the "Pro Presenter Capture" box on my to-do list and move on.

4. The Pro Presenter Mac is controlled by someone else on the AV team who would have to understand and approve the install of the NDI desktop capture software. I am sure that can happen, but again, not something I want to deal with as I work toward install.

5. There is an HDMI cable hanging from the the thunderbolt adapter on the Mac waiting to be plugged into the new video mixing system.

So even though I have my reasons none of them are show-stoppers. I am very interest in what can be done via NDI just not planning on it for launch day.