logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wwdv  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 12:19:48 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Just a hint for those with old IP mjpeg camera's and don't want to use an external DirectShow filter:

The stream input doesn't support http mjpeg streams, but the Web browser input does.

Add a Web browser input in vMix and fill in the IP camera's stream URL.
If it is not fullscreen it can be done with the zoom setting under the cog wheel.

For Sony SNC camera's the URL is: http://username:password@ip.address/image

The latency is a bit higher than in Chrome or FF, but lower than a DirectShow filter like Webcam7 Pro.

B.t.w. the free Alax.Info DirectShow filter has a very low latency.
thanks 1 user thanked wwdv for this useful post.
RoboST on 6/26/2016(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:50:47 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
MJPEG is what I use with the Raspberry Pi Cameras.
I use RPi_Cam_Web_Interface and it has 2 different streams that it can do.

From the Website above
Quote:
Default or MJPEG streaming. The default streaming is to fetch a series of jpegs from the server to give the equivalent of a live video feed. Each fetch is produced by a request from the client at a particular frame rate. An alternative method called MJPEG streaming may be selected under the system settings. Here a single request is made and the server responds with an MJPEG stream of data at the particular frame rate. Although the volume of data being sent from the server is approximately the same in both cases. The MJPEG stream avoids the multiple requests and can help smooth the flow. MJPEG stream should be used whenever possible but can cause problems with some browsers.

I use the web browser input on vMix and it works great I will soon be testing the total number of Pi Cameras my system can handle.
I am using multiple Pi Zero W via OTG which I think will add more strain then just using them via a network.
I was streaming them via the WiFi network except that is lower bandwidth as well as being slower then OTG.

With the newest RasPi firmware(I think that is what did it) you can do a full 1920 X 1080 preview, except I am not sure the total frames you can get.
The bandwidth maximum for Pi Zero OTG is 92 mb/s(bits) which is only about 11.5 MB/s(bytes) which is not very fast for MJPEG.
As an example Low Quality Setting for MJPEG at 30fps 1080p is 24.0 Mbps which is clearly double what is capable in best case.

It will be interesting to see if the new RasPi 3 B+ with faster networking up to USB-2 Maximum will stream 1920 X 1080 at full 30fps at high quality.
The switch from the OmniVision OV5647 5mp imaging chip to the Sony IMX219 8-megapixel is a quality improvement from my 'informal' testing.
The Pi is limited to 1080p inside the GPU which is closed but people have been working with the RAW data and having success doing things no one thought possible(480p 600fps)
From this post https://www.raspberrypi....7&p=1285069#p1285069
Quote:
Now you are just one "sudo rpi-update" away from being able to capture with up to 200fps with raspivid and v2 camera [v1 camera remains capped at 90fps

Why RasPi's? Cost and Quality, if you are in the 1080p world and the Sony Camera is as good as it seems you get a full camera that can 'stream' for under $70 Pi 3B+ or Under $40 for a Pi Zero W.
For a small studio or budget options for DIY and Students learning cameras this is a great option.

I am excited to see just how far this can be pushed.