logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FAndreas  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 27, 2015 1:40:35 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello,

anyone tried two Thunderbolt UltraStudio Mini Recorders on a MacBook Pro?
I already used one without problems, but I thought about using two of this.

Also it woult be interesting for me if someone had a two camera mix with additional inputs and streaming output on a MacBook with Intel Iris 5100 graphics (comparable with Intel HD Graphics 4600 from HCL). How would this perform with this low end graphics adapters and a recent version of vMix?

Thank you and regards,
Andreas.
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 29, 2015 2:27:42 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
FAndreas wrote:

anyone tried two Thunderbolt UltraStudio Mini Recorders on a MacBook Pro?
I already used one without problems, but I thought about using two of this.

Yes about 1-2 years ago. 1 was stable. When adding the 2nd one it worked sometimes.

Never figured out why it didn't work all the time. I suspect it was the BM Drivers.

Anyway I wasn't happy and switched to using Magewell USB devices.

FAndreas wrote:

Also it woult be interesting for me if someone had a two camera mix with additional inputs and streaming output on a MacBook with Intel Iris 5100 graphics (comparable with Intel HD Graphics 4600 from HCL). How would this perform with this low end graphics adapters and a recent version of vMix?

Stick with FFMPEG to do your streaming and it shouldn't be a problem. I've had 4 full hd cameras (via Magewell USB 3 Capture devices) running and some desktop capture. I use a belkin thunderbolt 2 docking station to get the additional usb 3 ports to pull that off. As long as you are using the Quad Core i7 should be fine.

I have a 2.2Ghz and 2.5Ghz model and they can both easily do 3 cameras, the 2.5ghz model which includes an NVidia chip does a better job at 4 cameras. This is was using FMLE (has lower latency which is why I still use it). So with efficiency of FFMPEG because you most likely don't care about 0.2-0.5s lower encoding latency like I do you will use less cpu :)

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704?locale=en_GB

FAndreas  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:13:38 PM(UTC)
FAndreas

Man

Hei Speegs,

sorry for my late answer but I was very busy.

I read about trouble with two Mini Recorders in Wirecast forum and this was driver related. Maybe I give it a try. Magewell isn't really a solution here in Germany because there are not so many resellers of Magewell products.

Mine is a Macbook Pro 13" Retina mid 2014 with a Quad Intel Core i5 at 2,6 GHz. So not the high end one. But with the lower CPU utilization of FFMPEG it could be really a portable solution for me. I don't really need more than two cameras very often.

Latency is sometimes a really important point in my projects. I work for a company which has a auction house as a client. They already have live stream production which I implmeneted in the past. But now they ask for low latency to sell products over the internet. An internet live auction. Iam dealing with the components for this in the last weeks. The full range of production components. Producing (capture, mix, encode, send) and the distribution with my own servers because of the low latency requirements. I didn't found any providers which fullfill my requirements and I like it to have the control over all components... :)

Maybe you have some recommendations for me? Maybe for a low latency hardware h.264 encoder?

Regards,
Andreas.
Len56  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:42:11 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
FAndreas,

You need to talk with Karsten Mick of INNOMEDIA he is in Germany, he sells YUAN products and maybe he sells Magewell products too.

He also posts on the vMix forums.

Here is a link to his website: http://www.innomedia-mick.de/

Speegs  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 7:37:21 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
FAndreas wrote:

I read about trouble with two Mini Recorders in Wirecast forum and this was driver related. Maybe I give it a try. Magewell isn't really a solution here in Germany because there are not so many resellers of Magewell products.

You can buy Magewell direct from Magewell. I have no re sellers in Australia either. Nancy at Magewell is very helpful, I just said there are no re sellers (which Nancy confirmed) and they are reliable at sending directly to you. I was concerned at buying direct from china, so far 8 of 8 Magewell products arrived on time and in working order at the prices promised. That is all I can ask really :)

I did get two Mini Recorders working at once, but I can't really understand how and I know the next reboot I may not be able to replicate a working setup with BM Mini Recorders :(

FAndreas wrote:

Mine is a Macbook Pro 13" Retina mid 2014 with a Quad Intel Core i5 at 2,6 GHz. So not the high end one. But with the lower CPU utilization of FFMPEG it could be really a portable solution for me. I don't really need more than two cameras very often.

Should be quick enough with ffmpeg being a quad for 3 cameras I'd guess.

FAndreas wrote:

Latency is sometimes a really important point in my projects. I work for a company which has a auction house as a client. They already have live stream production which I implmeneted in the past. But now they ask for low latency to sell products over the internet. An internet live auction. Iam dealing with the components for this in the last weeks. The full range of production components. Producing (capture, mix, encode, send) and the distribution with my own servers because of the low latency requirements. I didn't found any providers which fullfill my requirements and I like it to have the control over all components... :)

I hear you also had to use my own servers. At least Magewell products don't introduce any extra latency over BM Products in my experience they are equal and low latency. The encoder, server and player are the areas that introduce the most latency.