logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:04:33 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Any chance you can build replay support for a JLCooper controller such as the ES-SloMo J USB

http://www.jlcooper.com/...uct.php?prod=esslomojusb

I would love T-Bar control for speed and dial for cueing back to set in points once I have set the outpoint at end of action plays.
This would be a great controller to use.

Cheers Bryan
HighViewSport  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:08:36 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
tomtom1976  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 2:30:52 AM(UTC)
tomtom1976

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I'm with you. So a API Command SetSpeed with a discrete value solves this problem. So you can also use a MIDI fader device for this.

Cheers
Thomas
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2015 10:40:32 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ HighViewSport

I am with you Bryan and I am quite sure that as vMix Replay gains in popularity, support for the jlcooper will evolve into a reality, however, my fear is that the 'demand' is not there yet to warrant additional development and support for a unit that actually costs more than the software and is probably not on the radar for the average user, especially when the Contour ShuttleV2's functionality will accommodate most people's current needs.
Just my thoughts on the matter, but as you know, Martin has been known to wow us in the past with prompt support when least expected.

Ice
Innomedia  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:09:07 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I recently had some discussions with broadcast professionals and I introduced the new replay system to them. They were overwhelmed by the quality and they could not believe the low price even for a complete system including very very powerful workstation. The only thing they were "complaining" is the way of controlling the system. If it would be possible to use professional controllers there would be a wide use in the professional market they predicted. The most common system in broadcast world is EVS but it is non-affordable for regular VMIX users. A popular controller for EVS slow-motion systems is this one EVS Controller NANO

Support of this and similar controllers may open the door to the professional broadcast world because output quality of VMIX-Pro is sensational. A use in OBs and smaller studios will be possible then. May be there is somebody out there who is able and willing to provide a solution for this.

Regards
Karsten
jens  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 3:40:34 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi everybody,

I was one of the broadcaster Karsten talked about, and I totally agree with controlling the replay system needs to be like an EVS system. This is the one and only way of getting this product into the professional sports TV market. All major OB supplier will still use EVS for sure, but smaller companies, webstreams, regional/local TV channels might use vmix replay in their broadcast environment.

I already had contact to Sondre Njastad regarding hooking up a professional hardware controller to the replay system. (Sorry Sondre, did come back to you via skype but had to much ongoing business that there were no time to figure out new stuff at the moment).

Karsten mentioned the nano controller, but to be honest, nobody has that in the real market, everybody uses the standard LSM panel. Anyway, the protocol is much the same, I´ll have a chat with EVS next week about that and can provide a controller for testing. That would mean everybody who has an EVS system can directly move his controller to a vmix replay and give it a try for smaller productions on a budget. Or maybe just for playback server in a live show.

Other option, as mentioned earlier, would be the JL Cooper range of controllers. But in my opinion only the Elite makes sense as they come closest to the "original" EVS controller. And they are open for OEM integration regarding protocols, so maybe the better starting point.

Regarding the money, no they are not expensive if you take into account what a "normal" replay system would cost. Everybody on a budget could deal with what is already their (Contour, Mouse, Shortcuts) - but let´s figure out a maybe called "pro" version for everybody who play with the bigger kids.

Anyway, we need the correct user interface inside vmix replay itself, I can only point it all the time: It´s vmix and Martin did a cool job - but it has to function like the EVS.
Just a very dirty description: the replay main window should show all live inputs, once you turn the jog wheel all recording channels move back and force - and after marking a clip you definitely need a button to go back to live with all your inputs so you could watch the live action again.
Currently you are not able to watch the live action inside the main replay window once you hit the record button. So why not having the "Live" button really act like that: Pressed you are always at the current position, watching the incoming feeds, once you jog back you´re "Not Live", and then if you want to be back to live - simply press the button "Live".

There are other stuff (like easy choose of audio playback of each channel, already discussed in another thread), but the "Live" button is main issue at the moment for all operators I´m teaching - as they all come from the EVS world... ;-)

Coming back to the controller, if somebody would cheer in we might sort out a group of people who are willing to invest some money in this "Pro" project by getting the EVS and/or JLCooper Elite controller hooked up to vmix replay, I bet we also would need some additional work done by Martin.

I´m open for that - money is there - ideas are there - may the force be with us!

Cheers

Jens
admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:18:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4156 time(s) in 1493 post(s)
Hi Jens,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points on how the Instant Replay system works.
If you put the instant replay controller in vMix into a separate window and use the previews, they will show
live when in "Live" mode as you require, so I would recommend trying that out.

Note however, that only two angles of replay footage can be replayed simultaneously. This is a CPU limitation
more than anything else as we do not have the expensive hardware decoders that are used in EVS systems.

As for the JLCooper controllers, this is something we can look into in the future, however
resources are limited at the moment so there is no time frame I can offer for when that might be.
On the other hand, the API provides access to most replay functionality, so a programmer out there could build a plugin
for pretty much any controller on the market.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
jens  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:51:40 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

Hi Martin,

yeah, I know that you can use the preview windows, but I would be nice to have that all inside the replay window, so you have all in one screen/window.
And you really need these tactile feedback of viewing live in the monitor, once you jog back you directly see the picture in the same window going directly backwards from where you are - and by a simple push of a button you are live on that same monitor again.
In fast sports production you don´t have the time to fly you eyes of the monitor (or even worse - monitors) to catch the action at different positions. Have you ever worked with an EVS system? If not - you should definitley do that or ask an EVS operator to just show you the basics. It´s the major system not only for their stability and reputation - which by the way you already made a products which is running very stable, so this key element leads vmix ahead from others out there. It´s their user interface - it is so simple and dead usefull. And the way the machine works is so natural for somebody who did understand the main workflow behind a replay system.

Playout of 2 angles is no problem at all, you normally don´t have more than that on an EVS system, maybe a third playout but that´s just used for accessing and editing the playlist once this is playing, but that´s a total different story.

If we talk about the 2 playout channels, we should mention the more useful PGM/PVW mode: You just have one physical output from the replay system to the vision mixer (or vmix itself in our case), this is PGM, and you have a second one which is PVW, but that´s only on your replay screen. You can swap between these 2 by button and having a dissolve/wipe/cut whatever. You jog back on PGM, set your playhead there and switch to PVW, there you jog back to another angle/position while still the PGM "waits" for your playback command by simply dragging the T-bar on your controller. Once this PGM clip is finished, you switch PVW to PGM and the PVW clip swaps to PGM and plays on the same speed like the first clip was played meanwhile you can job back on the PVW again and so on.....
The vision mixer only need´s the command "out", he doesn´t care about how many replays their will be or have to dissolve between them.

Regarding the controller itself, I don´t want to point at you, I meant it exact like you said, "we" as a community (or better to programmers of us) should work on that - just with a little help from your side if at some point there might be a command missing in the API. Sorry if it sounded like you have to do the job, you already laid out this "world of possibilities", that´s far more than other companies does... :-)

So that´s what I think: Someone/We (not you) has to build a plugin/interface for the mentioned hardware controllers, which can be purchased or not, wether you´re Pro user or stay with simpler solutions which are build into vmix already. I might invest into this project and development - but maybe there are other Pro-Users out there who are willing to join this idea - and I mean not by just waiting once it´s finished.
The vmix team could think of these functionality I mentioned (and will provide to you by demo material or online meeting or whatever if you like to) - in order to make your replay system behave a bit more like the big guys do. You could even think about a "Pro" version of the replay system, which might have this approach and cost more thatn the price it is now. Karsten and me are talking about users who would easily spend multiple times the money of the current price for a "EVS-like" Pro-vmix-replay, maybe without even touching/needing of the regular vmix functionality...

Cheers

Jens

HighViewSport  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 6:58:22 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input on this.
I can hear and understand all the points brought up by everyone on this thread. All makes compelling reading and very good arguments.

Questions are, is this a pro product like EVS? Is spending around $2500 for JLCooper Elite control within the budgets of most vMix users? What about spending $1500 for basic version of JLCooper controller?

For me the value is in what extras I can offer my clients. A professional quality replay system that does not break the bank has to be a huge huge plus when quoting for events. I know our business can justify the controllers for sure if we can get the kind of control needed from the software.

I love the idea of marking an out point, use the wheel to jog backwards (which moves you out of live mode) to find inpoint, mark it and done, ready for playout.

Click live again when ready to go back live.

I too would be keen for moving forward on improving the already amazing vMix replay system by incorporating a new controller unit.
Will help where I can. The only issue is I am not a developer and don't have access to a developer.

Happy to do what we can to help. Just let me know what I can do.

Thanks
Bryan
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 12:05:35 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
"Better" jog wheel support would be the first step, in my view, towards an EVS style experience. There needs to be FF and RW functionality in addition to how it is already configured with the ContourShuttle.

Ice
jens  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:59:55 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

Hi everybody,

short update, had a conversation with EVS today. We could theoretically use the controller, but we would not be able to adress the display or other buttons than just normal sony RS422 protocoll.
So next step will be that I´ll get in touch with the German Distributor for JL Cooper (by the way, they are placed here in our city, so easy to talk to them...:-)). I´ll chat with them regarding the protocols, maybe the cheaper units share some code of the Elite units so we could handle different controllers with one customized plugin for vmix.

Better jog wheel support in general, you´re right Ice! That´s the part of the vmix team I spoke about, there needs to be all neccesary functionality - then I´m willing to invest into that controller development.

Like Bryan said, I´m not a developer, too. But maybe Sondre Njastad can cheer in this discussion - I´ll contact him via mail anyway.

Don´t know who else is out there already worked/working on an EVS system - it would help to define the most used functions for standard replay and highlights, point out the needed buttons/functions/window screens in vmix in order to see what Martin and his team can do for that. So everybody out there feel free to start with that, otherwise I need to find the time to do that.

Stay tuned,

Jens

tomtom1976  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:55:35 PM(UTC)
tomtom1976

Hi Jens,

I have start with that in this post.

I'm a software developer and I will start to develop a Plugin or API based controller tool if we have all needed functions in vMix.

Cheers
Thomas
jens  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:49:53 PM(UTC)
jens

Man

Hi Thomas,

yeah, that´s it, almost everything we need for the first step.

So I´ll add some thought in your post, so we can keep up this post for our general "Hardware Controller" project and keep your other post for the "EVS style" functionality.

So you worked with the newtek stuff, guess they don´t have PGM/PVW mode don´t they? You - and specially your vision mixer will love it!

Cheers

Jens

Kibim  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 3:32:43 AM(UTC)
Kibim

Whilst the JLCooper controller is really nice, there are a variety of midi devices with a similar layout for 1/10th of the price.

Discussion on that here : http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3832

Even better news is that midi will now be supported in Vmix16.