logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MegaJos  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 4:34:23 PM(UTC)
MegaJos

Groups: Registered

I'm broadcasting hockey games online in the near future and when setting up the video delay for "instant replay" I find it disturbing that you have to wait for 20 seconds to record 20 seconds. Those 20 seconds started...well, 20 seconds ago! It should be "instant" so that you can show it within 5 seconds when needed. Am I doing it wrong or is this an idea for an update? You might even concider making a real replay-function.

I would also recommend looking over the trigger function and maybe making a graphic solution. It takes ages to figure out how to set them up. My scenario: I film a hockey game and my team scores (yey!). I now press a button to trigger the recording of the instant replay. After waiting I need to trigger a transision in of a graphic overlay, "zoom" the video input to the replay, transision out of the graphic (and overlay off), view the replay, graphic overlay in, zoom back to original video input and last graphic out. This was hell figuring out yesterday and today it doesn't work anymore.

I'm very much into vMix but these two things makes me wonder...
r@wisla  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 5:39:10 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
To answer 2nd part of your post: read about stinger transitions
http://www.vmixhd.com/he.../StingerTransitions.html
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 6:20:46 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ MegaJos

There are several options available for you.
Firstly, you can adjust how far back in time you want to delay your video.
I find that 12 or 13 seconds works best for "instant" replay.
And for that "instant" replay, timing is everything because it is not the recording you are using but the video delay.
Essentially, goal scored... High fives and hugging in celebration for 4 or 5 seconds.... Transition to video delay @ 50% speed about 5 or 6 seconds before goal... Plays for about 8 or 10 seconds and then transition back to Live just in time for puck drop!
As r@wisla suggests, learn how to use the 'stinger' feature, and prepare to be amazed.
It does take some time to set it all up, but once you figure out the shortcut keys and advanced options it's as simple as pushing a single key to transition to your replay as well as save it for future use.
If you search through some of my previous posts you might find some nuggets to help you.
(I would provide the links but I'm on my cell phone right now)

Ice
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:54:06 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ MegaJos

Not to beat a dead horse but...
Here is a link to an older tutorial on the stinger by Martin Watson:

It covers the basics and should help you get started.
This is an example of how I use it in hockey:

There are many threads on Video Delay and instant replay, much of what I have already stated can be found in these threads:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=1777
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2297
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2571

Certainly, the release of the next version of vMix promises to offer an enhanced form of "Instant Replay" and your input and/or requirements can only help to provide the best possible feature set, but for the time being, we have to work with what is at hand, and really, it's not too shabby once you learn what's possible.

For those who may be interested, here are the links to download my stinger clips:

HD - https://www.dropbox.com/...eplay%20Stingers%202.zip
SD - https://www.dropbox.com/...SD%20Stinger%20Clips.zip

Ice

thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
sinc747 on 1/28/2015(UTC)
MegaJos  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 7:12:35 PM(UTC)
MegaJos

My slight nemesis: not being able to find my way around a forum. The stinger seems great.

Regarding the slow "replay"-function it was fast enough, just like IceStream said. I pressed record a few seconds after the goal. Waited a bit. Recorded a longer replay. Waited again. After the team high fived at the bench I started showing a 10 sec video at 75% making it finish just in time for the face-off. With my "manual stinger". Worked super BUT it lacks audio. The replays are useless after the game and can't be used for highlights.

Please fix that, vMix crew!
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:01:24 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Typically, you wouldn't feed the audio for "instant replay", especially if you have commentators that are talking while the "replay" is live.
However, in terms of creating a highlight reel, 'bumper' or post game recap, then yes, the audio track is desired!
This request appears to have been heard and will be implemented into the release of the new "Instant Replay" feature of vMix 4K, although I am not so sure if it will be added to the current "video delay" feature set of vMix (which, as far as I am concerned, is pretty damn good already):

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2454

The work around (if you can call it that) is to use a music track and/or Voice Over as done here:

and
?t=1h21m22s

Ice

brandonbees  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:17:09 PM(UTC)
brandonbees

Hi IceStream. Used vMix for the first time for our hockey webcast in the UK last night. Worked brilliantly, only thing I couldn't work out was how to maintain the master audio when playing out a replay. Have set up a 12 second video delay, but when we cut to it we want our commentators to still be heard as they talk over the replay. No doubt thus will be a simple click of a particular button but I'm having no luck working it out! Hope you can help? Cheers Pete
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:43:16 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ brandonbees

How are you feeding the commentators audio into vMix?

Basically, whatever that input is, you need to insure that the audio button is always "on" or "active" (green) and that it does not switch with transition (Double arrow icon "off" in audio mixer).

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
brandonbees on 2/5/2015(UTC)
brandonbees  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:37:17 AM(UTC)
brandonbees

Thanks Ice Stream for your help, worked a treat :-)