logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madden64freak  
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:51:28 AM(UTC)
madden64freak

Groups: Registered

@admin, thanks for the clarification, and I hope it does help me.

Do you think the vMix team would consider bicubic interpolation as a feature for a later release? Although I think the upcoming fix could help me in some situations, it may not in others, and I wonder if bicubic interpolation could help me. I'm not a master of interpolation by any means, but I know that I've always like the results I've gotten utilizing bicubic interpolation on my images.
admin  
#22 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 12:02:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
vMix 18.61 has just been posted which should resolve this problem.

Bicubic can use 4x to 16x more graphics resources, per layer, so it is not practical to implement it at this time.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
madden64freak on 1/23/2017(UTC)
madden64freak  
#23 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 6:16:12 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin, I'll try out that update. Thank you.

Hypothetically speaking. If bicubic could be implemented and applied on a per input basis, I'd be willing to devote 4-16 times more CPU/GPU resources to have one or two scaled inputs look better. (Assuming I can still maintain a stable workflow and it doesn't completely overwhelm the hardware) I'm running a fairly high end rig, and would have no problem burning more CPU/GPU cycles on better scaling quality on the one or two layers I'd need to do that to.

If the 4-16 times more resources has to be applied to all layers across the document and can't be applied on an individual basis, then I could see why it might be impractical to implement as you're then probably talking an orders of magnitude performance hit and system crippling workloads.

Again, thanks for the update and the explanation.
madden64freak  
#24 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:13:16 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

Unfortunately the update to 18.0.0.61 made no improvement for me. I retested, and it looks just as bad as it had before the update on any scaled source including the 4K to 1080p scaling I had posted about.
admin  
#25 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:34:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
It would really help if you could post some raw image examples and the render results so I can test.
On every image I try in .61 it makes a substantial difference, including 4K to HD
madden64freak  
#26 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:58:50 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin, I'd be happy to try and get some more examples for you. It has been easy to to attach 1080p images, but anytime I tried to attach a 4K image, the forum's upload tool would lock up. The file size was about 4.6MB. I don't know if that exceeds some limitation of the forum software/web server.

I also can't say enough about the effort that you guys have put into helping me with this issue. Makes me feel a lot better about choosing to move to vMix from another video switching software solution.

DWAM  
#27 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 8:57:12 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Maybe you can simply zip your files and use a cloud service for download?

Regarding your issue, are you sure there is absolutely no deinterlacing for this source? You said 1080p I checked but some capture card sometimes produce a "fake" progressive signal by dropping 1 frame out of 2. This could also explain the loss of quality you mention...

madden64freak  
#28 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 9:06:45 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@DWAM, I could put the pics up on dropbox and post some public links. Thanks for the suggestion. Guaranteed there is no interlacing or deinterlacing happening with any of the sources.
madden64freak  
#29 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 10:05:44 PM(UTC)
madden64freak

@admin, I apologize, the update did actually improve the situation. When I tested after the update, I looked at the program out on the right side of the screen and it appeared that the same distortion was still there and I didn't record captures to confirm the actual output. When I captured screenshots of the actual output to get you more examples, I did see an improvement in the appearance of the scaling. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was before the update.

Again, sorry for not testing thoroughly enough after the update.

I threw a couple more scenarios together where I was able to see issues previously, and those scenarios are also improved. I think we're as good we're gonna get as far as this issue is concerned. Things are much better, and anything that's still a problem, I feel like I may be able to make some changes to some of my assets to work around those remaining problems.