logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:20:11 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
We frequently enable floating windows for Audio Mixer, List Editor, and Slide show in order for example to adjust an audio level, uncheck a List item or selectt a Slide show item. When doing so Windows' keybaord focus remains in the floating window, thus vMix keyboard shortcuts are not effective (until the operator clicks in vMix's main window).

I think it would be better if all floating windows set the focus back to vMix main window after the action is completed within the floating window.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:29:28 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ richardgatarski

This is the very reason why I have stated (on several occasions) that the keyboard is not the most efficient of control surfaces...
I'm not sure how vMix would be able to recognize when you are finished with a particular window other than the current method of mouse clicking the desired active window or closing out the pop-up window, which is not always convenient in a fast paced live environment, but what else would you suggest?

Ice
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:11:40 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Ice,
Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder ;) For us the keyboard is very very often very effective.

My phrasing "after the action is completed" is of course dependend on which action/s the operator is taking.

Our most common fast-paced need is selecting a slide show image or a list entry. This is done by a mouse (double) click, and I see no reason for why here the focus cannot be returned immediately to the main window. For other actions, "when" would be rather logical depending on the action. This could of course be discussed (how/when), but I see no reason to do that before there is any interest in this particular request.

cheers :)
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:49:38 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ richardgatarski

I don't disagree, I often use the keyboard very effectively, it's just not as "efficient" in those situations when another window has the focus and you need to "click" back to the main UI [that is the real advantage to an external controller like a MIDI device or touch screen web interface (I often use my iPhone with "GO TO" buttons promptly displayed)].
Hence, I like your request, just not sure how good vMix's AI would be at knowing when you are done, if it is anything like 'auto correct' when texting, well, I won't be a big fan, lol ;)

Ice
Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:47:50 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
You may already know about this but you can use Auto Hot Key to direct keyboard shortcuts to a specific window. I used it for my XKeys before vMix added native support.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:09:41 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Cpilcher wrote:
You may already know about this but you can use Auto Hot Key to direct keyboard shortcuts to a specific window. I used it for my XKeys before vMix added native support.

Yes I know, but AHK won't do it (e.g. will not allow proper editing of a List item).