logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BigRev  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:25:41 PM(UTC)
BigRev

Groups: Registered

Okay...I have 3 Blackmagic Mini Decklinks with single HDMI inputs each installed on the PC.

I have a camera feed going to two of the Decklinks.

I am trying to get a feed to show what is being displayed on another PC's desktop.

Here's what I have done.

Of course the open Decklink only has the HDMI input. The PC has a VGA output.

So I purchased a VGA to HDMI adapter. This seems to work fine. I connected everything and then to an HDMI monitor.
The VGA to HDMI connection is working fine to an HDMI input.

Now...I connected the VGA/HDMI feed to the open Decklink in order to send the feed to vMix.

I tried to just go under "camera" and pick the open Decklink...but all I get is a black frame.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work.

Thank you in advance!

Peace!
ask  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:50:18 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Are your PC's on the same network. If so the easy method is to use desktop capture not try to video the other screen either by using a camera or as you are doing. http://www.vmix.com/help...m?NDIDesktopCapture.html

However if you want to use your method, you have to make certain that the output of the PC is matched to what the capture card will accept. So on the target PC go to your display settings and set that to 1920x1080 and the refresh rate to 60 htz. On the receiving PC open BM Desktop Utility and ensure that the card is set to receive that signal. Open BM Media Express and make sure that it is seeing the signal. If all good. close ME and DU and open vMix. All should work then.
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 6:37:58 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
As a general rule, as mentioned in the previous post, Blackmagic Decklink/Intensity capture devices do not "auto-detect" the input signal resolution and frame-rate - you have to explicitly set it manually or else you will not see the input. Also, they only work with broadcast TV resolutions and frame-rates (eg 720x576, 720x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080), whereas the HDMI spec includes all sorts of other resolutions. If you are converting from a VGA source, are you sure it is using one of these resolutions? Some HDMI capture devices, like those from Magewell, can capture all these other computer/VGA resolutions, but Blackmagic are not so versatile as they are primarily designed for traditional (broadcast) video production applications.
kjones9999  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 9:20:10 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I usually open Blackmagic Desktop Video- it will tell you what video specs a capture card is receiving.
BigRev  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:32:16 AM(UTC)
BigRev

The desktop utility isn't showing a signal. I made sure it shows hdmi...but no numbers. My other two deck links show hdmi and input numbers. I don't know?
ask  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:15:45 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
OK. So not a vMix issue. Are you using a laptop or desktop? Either way my guess is that you have the wrong resolution set. So in windows, open the Display settings and extend your monitor. No set the resolution and refresh rate of that 2nd screen as I mentioned before. You may need to use the graphics Card utility to help with this. You need to see the signal in the BM software before you can use it in vMix.