logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:58:41 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

Anyone interested we are using Vmix to stream a horse auction here:

http://www.magicmillions.com.au/live-broadcast/

It will start in approximately 4 hours (10am QLD Time Australia). Constructive feedback welcome.

If can't watch live, streamed and archived on Youtube as well here: https://www.youtube.com/...UCh9PjcKHumPcxpliUTpD3kg

The sales process is a repetitive and continuous unfortunately we can't break away to videos and interviews as those who come online go to watch the live action. It will be running for around 8 hours a day, for about 7 days. Schedule is here: http://www.magicmillions...old-coast-yearling-sale/

Sky and Channel 7 they don't use Vmix, I'm working on them slowly to add it to their OB trucks would be a nice addition to get NDI into their truck. They break away to more interviews, pre-recorded footage along with live footage and package it together well for commercial TV.

If you are near the Gold Coast, come and take a look it's a public access auction.

Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
corporatejames on 1/11/2017(UTC)
corporatejames  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:57:11 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Speegs wrote:
Hello,

Anyone interested we are using Vmix to stream a horse auction here:

http://www.magicmillions.com.au/live-broadcast/

It will start in approximately 4 hours (10am QLD Time Australia). Constructive feedback welcome.

If can't watch live, streamed and archived on Youtube as well here: https://www.youtube.com/...UCh9PjcKHumPcxpliUTpD3kg

The sales process is a repetitive and continuous unfortunately we can't break away to videos and interviews as those who come online go to watch the live action. It will be running for around 8 hours a day, for about 7 days. Schedule is here: http://www.magicmillions...old-coast-yearling-sale/

Sky and Channel 7 they don't use Vmix, I'm working on them slowly to add it to their OB trucks would be a nice addition to get NDI into their truck. They break away to more interviews, pre-recorded footage along with live footage and package it together well for commercial TV.

If you are near the Gold Coast, come and take a look it's a public access auction.

Thanks.

Good job @Speegs, If need any help with titles etc let me know.
thanks 1 user thanked corporatejames for this useful post.
Speegs on 1/13/2017(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:02:01 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
@Speegs

Another excellent live broadcast this year.

I hope you get a percentage of each sale ;)
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
Speegs on 1/13/2017(UTC)
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 8:44:16 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Most of the titles come from desktop capture (NDI now) from software that keeps track of the sale (so not using XAML much at all). Developed long before data sources were in Vmix. High contrast to help when the boards/displays/projectors have to compete with the Sun. Computer Graphics used to be actually what we could mix picture in picture with really old vision mixers. Back in the 4:3 days.

I've seen some of your work corporatejames, you make impressive XAML titles.

A screenshot of an early stream. It's come along way, it was audio only at first (dialup streaming), then Windows Media Encoder to Windows Media Server (ISDN), Then FMLE to Wowza (ADSL), Now Vmix to Nimble & Youtube :)

Now we use many various internet connections depending on the location.
Speegs attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG (101kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 8:54:59 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Most Recent 2017 below. Above 2011 2 camera from Perth :) I thought the streaming was pretty good back in 2011 mind you, to stream at all was more technically challenging then. To keep it online was the mission vs today to try and have the production value of a TV station without owning one is now the mission. Always room to improve of course.
Speegs attached the following image(s):
Capture2.JPG (157kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 9:44:46 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Speegs

I've always been impressed with how you are using the technology, and undoubtedly, it must be having an impact on 'remote' sales...
Keep up the great work.

Ice

p.s. Edit:

In terms of constructive feedback, and I'm not sure if it is within your means, but getting some close-ups of both the horses (more difficult as it either requires a camera person or self-tracking camera) and the auctioneer (even a PiP would be great) are about the only two items I would think might add greater "production value" for the viewer.
Digitalson  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 10:03:13 PM(UTC)
Digitalson

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I am impressed with all these projects that everyone is putting up ,and everyone has such great graphics,,that's one thing I can't grasp yet,,,,but real good work
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 5:43:28 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Thanks Ice, we use close ups of the horses, but not often. Mostly because they walk in circles and had complains it made some viewers dizzy following on closeups, but also it's a man power issue.

I'm yet to find an automated camera that tracks horses. Did look at some that tracked people briefly but they said won't work for a horse. Let me know if you ever hear of something. I can't add a tracking device to each leader/horse either. Thought about doing that. Comes back to might be better to hire a cameraman price wise at that point.

We have done a PIP with the auctioneer. We have been told to not give them too much airtime it's 34 degrees and their shirts don't look nice when soaking wet, so under instruction to not promote the pits. One of the best shots is the hammer going down, so it's hard not to use the shot.

Of course at a cooler time of year, this problem goes away.

Thanks for the feedback, it's considered. It just may be hard to get done with our resources. I don't give up easily.

Another factor is we use one output for Streaming and Internal transmission to complex. The TVs in the complex have another purpose the remote viewer doesn't get, it helps marshall the horse and share information quickly.

That is why some shots are text overload. It's important information, that essentially would be best on another screen. However we only put one screen per barn at the moment.

Common questions we *try* to solve with the video feed.

What did recent lot xxx sell for?

What lot is in the ring?

Which Bonus Schemes is the horse eligible for?

Who was selling that one?

What defects/comments did the auction declare? I couldn't hear it.

Most of that is on our website, but people wanted all that in our video feed. Many do not have access to computers and phones while leading horses. Many have batteries running flat etc.. So the TVs in the complex help. There are a lot of TVs. So Vmix also essentially acts as a digital sign system for us too in some respects. We send the video in the complex via a modulator system and cable. Half the people are in the sales ring, the other half are looking at horses in the barns.

Auctioneers can be hard to understand at times, they talk so fast :)